Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 07:00 PM

71 posts, read 309,653 times

Advertisements

Hi All ,

I will be moving to Cary/Morrisville...in a month or two. Currently I live in the boston area have a wooded yard . Whenever I cut the grass, I dispose it off in my wooded lot..in a pile!

In NC, with the HOA, smaller sized yards..where do you put the cut grass? Do you bag it and let the trash guys pick it up?

Next question is a little grosser!!!
Where do you put the bags that you use to "cleanup" after your pets????

Pls do let me know...I am also planning to get a dog when i move there...so had to ask this question...Pls do reply..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 07:10 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocary View Post
Hi All ,

I will be moving to Cary/Morrisville...in a month or two. Currently I live in the boston area have a wooded yard . Whenever I cut the grass, I dispose it off in my wooded lot..in a pile!

In NC, with the HOA, smaller sized yards..where do you put the cut grass? Do you bag it and let the trash guys pick it up?

Pls do let me know...I am also planning to get a dog when i move there...so had to ask this question...Pls do reply..
Dog poo goes in the garbage.

We have a compost heap in our yard for clippings (we don't compost anything else, such as kitchen waste), and yes, we live with an HOA on .28 acres At least in Wake Forest they pick up properly bagged or arranged (such as piles of brush on the side of the roadway) weekly. I believe they compost it...it's not sent to the landfill.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that Cary has the same arrangements.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:32 PM

237 posts, read 1,029,444 times
In Holly Springs, grass clippings get piled at the curb (unbagged) and the town truck comes by and vacuums them up. Same with twigs, etc. Recyclables are collected every week rather than every other week like in MA.

As far as the pet waste, I would think you would just put it in your big trash barrel that you keep outside. Where in MA you coming from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by relocary View Post
Hi All ,

Old 04-08-2007, 08:23 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyguys View Post
In Holly Springs, grass clippings get piled at the curb (unbagged) and the town truck comes by and vacuums them up. Same with twigs, etc.
It's the same where my mom lives in Apex.

Where I live in Durham, we have two big trash barrels outside. One is for garbage and the other is for yard waste. We also have a smaller type bin for recycling. All three get picked up on the same day but by different trucks. The yard waste collection is an optional extra fee of $60 per year. They use the yard waste for making mulch which they sell I think.

http://www.townofcary.org/depts/pwdept/solidwaste.htm (broken link)
This website describes the yard waste procedures for Cary as:
Yard Waste Collection
Yard waste is collected on your regular garbage collection day, unless there is a holiday scheduled during the week.You can also dispose of yard waste at the Citizen's Convenience Center located at 313 N. Dixon Ave. Yard waste consists of vegetative matter collected as a result of landscaping. All soil must be removed. Examples of yard waste include grass clippings, brush, leaves and limbs. Limbs should be no longer than 4 feet or larger than 4 inches in diameter. The maximum volume of curbside yard waste for regular collection at each home on one day cannot exceed 240 cubic feet (8 feet long by 5 feet wide by 6 feet). Two men must be able to load it into the truck within 10 minutes.

Yard waste should be placed at the curb by 7 a.m. on your regular collection day in reusable containers, paper bags, or securely tied bundles. Yard waste contained in plastic bags will not be collected.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:25 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,677 times
And here is the same info for Morrisville:
http://www.ci.morrisville.nc.us/pw/solidwaste.asp
Yard Waste

Limbs and brush should be less than 4’ in length and 6” in diameter.

Items may be bundled (less than 4’ in length, 2’ in width, and 50 lbs in weight) Items should be placed in a clear bags or in specific yard debris brown paper bags only. No solid color plastic bags will be accepted. Remove dirt from plant remains

Old 04-08-2007, 08:31 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times
Thumbs up The Grasscycling Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
I believe they compost it...it's not sent to the landfill.
Right you are Desdemona! According to the NCSU Turf Files website "North Carolina state law prohibits disposal of yard wastes, including grass clippings, in landfills. "

Also, I am a big fan of not bagging your grass clippings and instead follow the Grasscycling concept. The grass clippings provide a lot of nutrients to your lawn. You can read more about the Grasscycling concept on the NCSU Turf Files website: http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/pubs/m...ent/gc592.html

Old 04-08-2007, 09:58 PM

129 posts, read 566,061 times
In Cary many are using their old plastic trash bins because Cary went to a uniform garbage bin we all have to use.
Otherwise you can use anything that is a durable plastic that will hold yard waste and the guys can pick up without fear of it falling apart. We use the big round tub with the braided handles that our kids used to store toys in.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:37 AM

112 posts, read 759,987 times
Here in Fuquay they want yard waste either in a separate trash can, un-bagged or in those paper yard waste bags you get at Ace or Home Depot. Nothing else and they are serious. The guy across the street from me had about 30 garbage bags full of grass clippings (I have no idea how he got that many out of a 1/5 acre lot) and the yard waste guys ripped every bag open, threw the contents in their truck and threw the bags on the ground. It was a breezy day and I'm sure everyone on the street was cursing the guy as we all had a bag or two to pick up from our own property.

As for dog waste, either in the trash or get one of those doggy septic tanks. We don't have a dog anymore, but when we did, the tank was great!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 AM

22 posts, read 159,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd M. View Post
As for dog waste, either in the trash or get one of those doggy septic tanks. We don't have a dog anymore, but when we did, the tank was great!
Hi Todd

Where can I find info on the dog septic tank? First time I've heard of them.

Cheers, Liam

Old 04-09-2007, 08:12 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
Originally Posted by Todd M.

I think I read somewhere these tanks don't always work well, depending on the clay content of your soil. So be sure to check that out before you invest in one. The Pet forum here might be a good source for additional info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary