Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 95,683 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I like to learn about the cost of living, weather, and job market in Raleigh area from the actual folks living there. What are nice areas of city to live in?
What does apartment rent usually cost? Is the city pretty safe? How is the city's atmosphere comparing to the cities like Chicago and Minneapolis? How is the overall weather(Is winter severe as mid-west?) I am a recent college graduate (Industrial Engineer) from Iowa looking for a job in Raleigh area. Is this a good place to be for Industrial Engineers? Any info. and tips will be helpful making a decision. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:59 PM

7,147 posts, read 4,742,203 times
Good grief. Just do a search here and all of your questions will be answered. They're so vague. Use the "search" option.
best,
toodie

Old 05-28-2009, 07:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Kevin - congratulations on completing your degree, and I commend you for the wisdom you display in wanting to move away from Iowa. There is indeed a wealth of information in this forum, and it might help you to review what's here to help you narrow your questions some so that we can better help you. Some general info:

Cost of living is always a relative question - what is it where you are coming from vs. here. Generally, we're less than the NE, but I would say on par, or even a bit higher, than the Midwest.

Weather is beautiful here. Gorgeous blue skies. It's still seasonal - we have a Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter, but not as extreme as up north. Summer's are very hot and muggy. Spring and Fall are fantastic. Winter is chilly, and we get a small bit of snow and ice, but nothing like the north.

The greater Raleigh area is generally considered "safe" with the exception of a few impoverished areas in the various communities. We are not without crime, however.

I don't know what the market is for Industrial Engineers here. Our area is suffering economically like everywhere, and our state's unemployment is actually one of the higher in the nation right now. The rate in the Triangle is not as bad as the rest of the state, but still it's much higher than we've been accustomed to in recent years. Many companies here have been downsizing.

As for atmosphere, we're not a large city. But there are still some wonderful, vibrant areas within Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and elsewhere. There is much diversity among (and within) the communities here.

Good luck to you as you explore life beyond school.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:50 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I commend you for the wisdom you display in wanting to move away from Iowa.
Have you been to Iowa? I have a few times and came away very impressed with the intelligence, friendliness and general qualities of the people there. I had a great time Iowa City and can think of much worst places to be. And, in today's economy, Iowa is fairing much better than much of the country.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Have you been to Iowa?
I have, yes. I grew up in the Midwest. It was just a joke.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:03 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,633 times
I would recommend taking a trip down here and exploring. People really click with certain areas in and around Raleigh and others do not. For example, many people love Holly Springs...but to me it has a sprawling spread out feel and just didn't tug at me personally. I actually think Cary is a really nice place and others despise it. I personally think that Pittsboro and Chatham county are really beautiful and remind me of the mountains while others call it "out there." I think Wendell is a really nice town where others would disagree. It's all a matter of taste. My husband hates the feel of the actually Raleigh area...but it's because he hates traffic and crowds. It just depends.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:18 PM

206 posts, read 596,932 times
Ooh another person from Iowa! I don't think I have anything to add to what others in this thread have already said. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to go spend some time in a place BEFORE you move there. Time and time again, people visit Forbes.com and decide to move to one of the top 3 cities on the lists and then hate themselves for it.

How did you decide on moving to either Raleigh or Kansas City?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 95,683 times
I am looking for a medium sized city with culturally vibrant atmosphere, more liberal atmosphere to live in, yet I am not looking for a place like San Francisco. One of reason I am considering Raleigh is that I was often told by peers who co-oped in the area that the weather is great. Winter in Iowa is very dreadful, and there is nothing much to do here. Many Iowans, in my experience are very friendly yet awry of strangers and their views are very conservative.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:08 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Raleigh is not nearly as big or "on the map" as KC, but it's liberal (and the rest of the Triangle even more so) while still (for now) retaining its Southern Charm. But you'd want to come and see for yourself, as many from other cities consider it too provincial. You also may want to come in July and make sure you can tolerate the summers here, although I imagine Iowa's summers are no picnic either.

As far as the cost of living, the more transplants move here from more expensive areas, the more the COL is rising as always happens, but it's good in some areas, average in others.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:05 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
I am still looking for that Southern Charm everyone keeps talking about. People are just as nice IMHO, as those in western NY. I see no difference.

I rarely hear a Southern accent. My DSH (dear Southern husband) has even lost some of his lilting accent. Over the years, neither of us has met many Southerners at work, and we rarely run into them in daily life. I know it's different outside of the Triangle, but here, I just don't see any huge difference between Northern and Southern life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary