Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,205 times

Advertisements

Weather Master in Knightdale just installed an AC at my home less than two weeks ago. It is a system that has an external vent under the house. They installed it AT THE CRAWLSPACE DOOR. We have well water - the vent blocks the access to our crawlspace - the water heater, the water pump, and our emergency water cutoff. Our salesman actually advised that if a problem arises and we have to access the water shut off or the water heater that we use tin snips to move the vent and they will come to repair it!!!!! Think the insurance company would agree? Tomorrow morning a county inspector is coming out and I'm not expecting great things. It will probably pass the county code b/c there's nothing wrong with the installation - but that doesn't make it right. Anybody on here got any ideas?

Will keep you posted - right now, they're refusing to fix it because to them it's not broken. $4,500 and I'm extremely disappointed. My next step is to file complaint with the Better Business Bureau and to call one of the TV station consumer complaint departments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,205 times
Default Update 07/14 - weather master in Knightdale

The county inspector rejected it - he says we're supposed to have at least a 36-inch clearing (to be able to get the water heater out), and we only have 11 inches. Told you it was bad.........I'm just concerned that after spending that much money with them only 12 days ago, they were completely unconcerned with my happiness - it shouldn't have taken direction from a county official.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 AM

10 posts, read 55,463 times
We are in a newly constructed home with a HVAC unit in the basement to service the first level, and a second unit in the attic to service the second level and bonus room over garage. The heat does not work in the bonus room. We're under warranty but they have replaced a circuit board, checked other things and after 4 trips out and more than 6 more hours work, our problem is still unresolved. Since they are still working on it, I can't evaluate but it is getting tiresome.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:57 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
They did the original work (for the builder) on my current and last homes, and I have paid them over $5k for two major jobs at my house and at one of my rentals. They botched both jobs and would not own up to it when I confronted them, even up to the owner/manager level.

First, at my house here, I had paid them a whopping $950 to install a whole-house humidifier. They tapped into a PLASTIC pex line with a COPPER pipe tap. They installed the unit right on top of the coils - two HVAC techs that have since seen it ask me who did the crappy installation job and were not surprised when I mentioned WeatherMaster. It never worked properly, so I had someone else install a new unit.

Next, a $3700 job installing a whole new unit at my 2400 square foot rental in Wake Forest. It seemed to be working fine until it got to be around fall time and I got a call from the tenant stating that some rooms were hotter than others and he could not get it balanced properly. I had my trusty HVAC technician go and check it out, only to find out that the install was totally botched. The unit resides in an upstairs utility room that is vented to the outside, but the unit was so leaky it was heating/cooling the utility room (and the airspace outside!) and there were other problems with the installation as well.

I tried speaking to them, one level higher at a time, until reaching the end. The basic reply was "it passed inspection, so it must have been done properly, and you are out of warranty, but we'll be happy to come back and look at it for $150 (or whatever their minimum visit cost is)" I tried calmly explaining that the inspector isn't required to look at that level of detail when inspecting and would not have known at the time that the unit wasn't properly sealed along with the room. I got nowhere, and after speaking to many other landlords and friends in the area, I should have never called them in the first place. They're known by many to be a shady/deceptive/overpriced/incompetent company.

Stay away from them. You might get a good job done if you are lucky, but there is a high chance you might not, either. Even the installation of the system while my house was being built was pretty crappy, for a $550K house you'd expect stuff like the furnace being level and the ductwork to be neat and tidy rather than criss crossed and every which way. But it functions I guess.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:00 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
K-dale, take action immediately. For those of us who have been royally screwed by these incompetent buffoons, we all wish you luck. I'm so glad to have found the guy who works on all my HVAC systems now (there are a total of 7 between the four houses I own) as well as all my electrical and plumbing. Hard to find reliable and trustworthy contractors, but when I do, I hang on like there is no tomorrow.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:02 PM

515 posts, read 1,716,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
My in-laws have had problems with Weather Master. Too numerous to list. I'd look elsewhere.
Whole-heartedly agree. To much to say but in short..bought new house they installed AC but it was under-sized and I had to relace a two-year old system and pay out of my own pocket for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary