Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:52 PM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times

Advertisements

Well, it seems like that Lafayette project was huge, and an important one. Not having read the OP's posts, I can't say I'm biased as to whether or not his or her intents are meant to agitate.

I do know, however, that "I would hope that a wise White woman, with the richness of her experiences, would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life,” when deciding on whether a post here at CD is worthy.

best,
toodie

Old 06-02-2009, 10:53 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Yes, we see the pattern. It's a shame he's so narrow minded since it detracts from the boards.
This is my issue with him. One person detracts from the enjoyment of many, yet the mods allow it and slap our wrists for not discussing the topic at hand. He's very good at staying under their radar somehow. Trolling is one thing, but this one user (under a couple different names) ruins the site.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:03 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Here is something positive about downtown Raleigh development:

gogoraleigh.com» Blog Archive » Hotel Possibly Planned for Glenwood South
Thanks for the heads up on this proposal. My condo is a block away so this is right in my neck of the woods...err....concrete.

I read the link and am looking forward to learning more. I, for one, don't support any requested variance for the property. I am all for a 9 story hotel going in that location but I think that a property that steps back from the street as it rises is much more appropriate for the immediate surroundings than a variance that would allow a taller 222-ish building afronting Glenwood with almost no architecture whatsoever.
I have always looked at that property with intrigue. The small commercial bungalow on the front with the dirt lot in the back sure makes for an interesting opportunity. I'd like to see the front of the property remain more in scale with the streetscape between Johnson and Peace with the midrise section toward the back of the property.
Because this location sits at the lowest point along Glenwood South, I doubt that the 9 floors alone would overwhelm the neighborhood. But, the articulation of how any future building addresses the street sure could make a big difference.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 AM

519 posts, read 982,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Thanks for the heads up on this proposal. My condo is a block away so this is right in my neck of the woods...err....concrete.

I read the link and am looking forward to learning more. I, for one, don't support any requested variance for the property. I am all for a 9 story hotel going in that location but I think that a property that steps back from the street as it rises is much more appropriate for the immediate surroundings than a variance that would allow a taller 222-ish building afronting Glenwood with almost no architecture whatsoever.
I have always looked at that property with intrigue. The small commercial bungalow on the front with the dirt lot in the back sure makes for an interesting opportunity. I'd like to see the front of the property remain more in scale with the streetscape between Johnson and Peace with the midrise section toward the back of the property.
Because this location sits at the lowest point along Glenwood South, I doubt that the 9 floors alone would overwhelm the neighborhood. But, the articulation of how any future building addresses the street sure could make a big difference.
I agree completely. 222 Glenwood is a great building, but with it built directly on Glenwood, no one really sees the building unless you are walking around or in another tall building in Raleigh.

I would hope that the facade of the hotel would blend with the other buildings in that area. There is a way to make it look modern without it looking like it came from The Jetsons.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
I agree completely. 222 Glenwood is a great building, but with it built directly on Glenwood, no one really sees the building unless you are walking around or in another tall building in Raleigh.

I would hope that the facade of the hotel would blend with the other buildings in that area. There is a way to make it look modern without it looking like it came from The Jetsons.
If you look at the precedents in the neighborhood, they are mostly brick clad. Glenwood Towers (old nursing home), 510 Glenwood, The Paramount and West all use brick as their defining material. 7
For this location, I'd love to see first & second floor retail with a colonade at the street level. Then, I'd like to see the building step back with the resulting "roof" over the lower section being an elevated terrace for al fresco dining and lounging. Then, the 7 additional floors can rise behind that. In the back of the property, I'd build a garage against the train tracks and put the recreation deck and pool on top of it for the DT view.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:57 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
I really don't see the need for a stepback. Especially not for an 80 foot 9ish story building. Neither 222 nor 510 glenwood have a stepback. They both look fine. There are other ways to make a building look nice than requiring one. In fact, required stepbacks more often than not make buildings look stupid. The new fancy hotel on W Franklin Street in Chapel Hill has a stepback, and it looks very goofy.

As for other downtown development, don't forget about the SECU building next to Green Square. That one appears to be moving ahead still, in spite of the current economy.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:31 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
I believe that thread became negative when you originally made the comment that karma happened in Kansas when Dr. Tiller was murdered.

Unfortunately, after you edited your status, no one could see what the original posters were discussing. If you truly believed you original comment about karma, you would have kept your status the way it was.
We'll have to start doing screen caps so he can't cover his tracks and play the "poor, poor, me, I'm so picked on" card after he instigates something next time.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 AM

69 posts, read 156,688 times
Do people in these forum things ever stop with the personal attacks on each other or is it required to be a member? Every thread I start reading immediately goes downhill when people stop talking about the thread and start launching extremely immature verbal attacks on each other. This place reminds me of a bunch of 6 year olds. Has anyone stepped back to see how foolish these off topic posts look to a newcomer?

Old 06-03-2009, 03:22 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.7mOTB View Post
Has anyone stepped back to see how foolish these off topic posts look to a newcomer?
Has anyone stepped back to see how misleading his posts look to someone coming here looking for accurate info about the area?

Old 06-03-2009, 03:45 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Has anyone stepped back to see how misleading his posts look to someone coming here looking for accurate info about the area?
skaternum, get over yourself. My post is not misleading in the least. It was spot on and included the "..........." which means there is more. I continued it in the actual post. Haven't you ever read a newspaper, headline first and then the article? It's the same thing and there was nothing negative in the least. I want more development in Raleigh. I want it built up into a real city. I want it to be the shining star of NC. The good thing I take away from the article is that the location may still be developed, but not by this developer or as that tower. I like the fact that they will continue to try to find a developer who is ready to develop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary