Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 05:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have set a goal to get in shape (actually she is in shape, I need to catch up!). We want to start running again and eventually run in a half marathon 6-8 months from now. In the meantime we are looking for any events that will be hosting a "Fun Run" or 5k race to help as stepping stones to preparing for a bigger race down the road. I am also interested in finding any armature bike races in the area. These events can be anywhere in the Triangle. Do you know of any coming up in the next few months or a good website with information about local races? I've done some Google searching but can only find results of past races.

Thanks for the help! http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u33/North_Raleigh_Guy/t189788038_97430_3.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 05:49 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,081,021 times
Here's a decent list but it looks like the end of August is the next 5K ...

Race Schedule

Frank

Old 07-06-2009, 06:08 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,151,004 times
I have always considered myself Not A Runner, but I had a great time in the Fleet Feet No Boundaries program this spring. I trained for a 5K (Race for the Cure). They have a lot of good social runs going on, and have two training programs in the fall, Running 101 (targeting a 10K) and No Boundaries will be going again. Fleet Feet Raleigh (http://www.fleetfeetraleigh.com/content/view/35/62/ - broken link)

Several of the people in that program had also done some running with NCRC, which has group runs and a race calendar on their site. NCRC Group Runs

I also heard rave reviews for the Galloway training program for marathons. Unfortunately their season started in late May, but it would be worth looking at for next year. Welcome to RaleighGalloway.com

Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 PM

176 posts, read 645,779 times
Here's quite a comprehensive list of some of the running and biking events in the area (and outside the area, too). Endurance Magazine Home
There are lots of great races in the area, but many of them take place in the fall or the spring because it's so hot in the summer.

I'd recommend the Cup N Cone for a fun bike ride. Personally, I can't resist a bike ride that includes ice cream! Welcome to MS Events Benefiting the National Multiple Sclerosis Society

Also, I don't know which 1/2 you're planning on doing, but the OBX 1/2 marathon is a nice event in November. I've done the full and it was a really fun, well organized race.

Good luck with your goal!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:20 PM

338 posts, read 1,620,145 times
Check out Active.com as well.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
Thumbs up Thanks everyone!

Thanks for these great leads. I appreciate the help!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
My wife and I have set a goal to get in shape (actually she is in shape, I need to catch up!). We want to start running again and eventually run in a half marathon 6-8 months from now. In the meantime we are looking for any events that will be hosting a "Fun Run" or 5k race to help as stepping stones to preparing for a bigger race down the road. I am also interested in finding any armature bike races in the area. These events can be anywhere in the Triangle. Do you know of any coming up in the next few months or a good website with information about local races? I've done some Google searching but can only find results of past races.

Thanks for the help!
Well, I think you are getting ready for the most Extraordinary Running Event of The Year.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:36 AM

150 posts, read 507,133 times
I second Active.com-I used the site back in CA and here and find it very helpful!

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary