Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:00 PM

99 posts, read 307,321 times

Advertisements

I have Sprint and can't get service in Harris Teeter either. Pretty much I can't get a signal in any building except my office. I'm starting to wonder why I even have a cell phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 05:13 PM

14 posts, read 38,828 times
I have sprint and go to that HT all the time. I don't think any cell works in there. But on the other hand I have NO other problems with sprint in this area or any other. Living in West Cary does not mean bad cell service...

Old 07-20-2009, 05:42 PM

232 posts, read 1,031,107 times
Go with Sprint! Seems to work in all grocery stores near you! Harris Teeter, Kroger, Food Lion, Lowes, Trader Joes, Piggly Wiggly, Publix, BiLo and more! Just kidding, I have no clue what works where......this thread is amusing though.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:51 PM

297 posts, read 740,749 times
I have AT&T (iPhone) and live in Cary Park. I don't know about the HT (if the phone doesn't ring, I don't notice!), but I get 3G service throughout the area. I've never noticed a weak spot. Now you've got me wondering about HT...

Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
There's no way HT could possibly be blocking the signal. It has to be related to building construction relative to wherever the cell tower is located.

If there's enough steel between your phone and the cell tower, then the radio signals can not get through. A cell phone is still a radio transceiver and it's amazing they work as well as they do on such low power.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:43 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Default I get service in the Morrisville HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
It is Harris Teeter not the phone! LOL! we have Verizon and everytime I am in a Harris Teeter I get no service. I get service in other grocery stores but never in HT. I know it seems strange and I have no explanation. I shop HT in Holly Springs and it doesn't work. I drop into the HT at Davis Drive when I play tennis over there and my phone doesn't work. I also occasionally go to the HT on Williams in Apex and my phone doesn't work in there either. All I can think is it has something to do with the layout of their stores?
I can make/receive calls in the Morrisville HT without issue. Also, had no issues in the HWY 55 Kroger before it shut down.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:45 PM

Default Switched from Cingular to Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
AT@T Cellular Service in the Triangle?
Verizon -> AT&T w/ iPhone, considering going back to Verizon

If you're concerned over dropping coverage in a specific store, you'll deeply regret switching from Verizon to pretty much any carrier. Especially AT&T.
Switched from Cingular to Verizon when we moved here 3+ yrs ago due to no signal in house, multiple deadzones, etc. I wanted to see if their (Cingular/ATT) network had improved in the last 3 yrs.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:55 PM

Default Work will pay for the iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin v2.0 View Post
Can guarantee you HT is not jamming the cell signal. The FCC does not take kindly to such things, and am sure that HT would not want the publicity. First offense is up to $11K/day of use fine.

Moved from AT&T to Verizon because of no coverage inside my new house. AT&T less than helpful and flat out lied to me. They screwed up nearly every bill we had from them (and Singular before that). Verizon has been great . . . so far.

And if you really are a "CheapDad" take the money spent on an iPhone and put it in a 529 for your kids.
Trying to decide between the iPhone and T-Mobile G1. Would like barcode scanner capability for comparative product price checking.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 PM

476 posts, read 1,677,075 times
Default It's not your provider - it is the HT Cary Park

I have AT&T - very few coverage issues (receiving timely voicemails is another).

The Harris Teeter at Cary Park is indeed a black hole. No one I know gets service in there. I have left my shopping to run out to the cart storage area to call to see if my DH wanted Newcastle or Beck's Dark (very important issues at stake here).

On the other side I have tried calling DH to add something to the shopping list and unable to reach him so he has to return to the store. (I don't want to embarrass him by calling the store and having him paged like a 6-year old.)

Not critical, but exasperating.

Maybe Verizon could come in and do one of those creepy no coverage commercials...

Old 07-20-2009, 11:25 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin v2.0 View Post
Can guarantee you HT is not jamming the cell signal. The FCC does not take kindly to such things, and am sure that HT would not want the publicity. First offense is up to $11K/day of use fine.
I agree that a business would probably not ever use one of these - especially a grocery store. I have known several individuals that own small ones and use them discreetly on commuter trains, movie theatres and such. Can't say I blame them one bit for doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary