Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:09 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't know if I necessarily agree with this. I definitely would ask a realtor about their experience, but such things as "presidents Club" or "Top Producers" club sound like made up industry awards that are handed out at cheesy luncheons held at the holiday inn. I'm sure it means something to the agents in their industry as a measure of their accomplishments, but it doesn't really increase your stock in my opinion.

Back when I used to watch the Real Estate channel here in Raleigh, I always found it amusing how many realtors touted themselves as #1 in the nation. How could so many Realtors claim to be #1? I guess each company has their on awards so more than one person can claim the title of #1.

I am kind of old school when it comes to working with people. References from friends and coworkers go a long way. I loved working with my realtor and give out his name to inquiring friends every opportunity I get. I'm sure they will still interview the realtor and get a feel for his experience, but if a Realtor tried to impress me with memberships or awards like something like a "president's club" it would mean very little to me.

On that note, what is the story with these big name realtors who have a "Team"? I get the feeling that they are selling themselves more than they are selling their client's homes. Seems like these "Star" realtors work on high volume and have a cackle of newbie agents working under them to drum up business for them. Something tells me if I had a question about my listing Linda Craft wouldn't be the one to return my call.

Agent's who plaster their fancy glamour shot pictures on the “For Sale” sign that is put in a clients front yard aren't for me. Give me a good old fashioned agent that is going to work one on one with me and not hand me off to his/her assistants. That is the person I will work with to buy, sell and then buy again.
I know you just say that because you haven't seen my new shot with me flipping the feather boa over my shoulder.
Sitting on the hood of my car.
With my yacht in the background.
Wearing 2 pinkie rings.
And enough makeup to paint the Governor's Mansion.
Holding a dog AND 2 kids.
With my neck at an impossible angle.
Flexing like a bodybuilder.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:22 PM

161 posts, read 683,330 times
If your interested in listing your home then you can call up some agents that will come to your home and do a listing presentation. You will get a good feel for the way you work together.
Ask yourself:
Did they make me feel comfortable and answer my questions?
How do the marketing plans compare?
If you are interested in staging- do they help stage your home?
Do they demonstrate good organizational skills?

There are so many very good agents around the Triangle, if you keep looking. you are bound to find one that works with your style. Good Luck!

Old 04-26-2007, 06:25 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
I am in the market to buy in your area. I just sold in Portland. Our Portland Realtor is w/ Remax (they bought out a local group a few years back). I agree 100% w/ Mike on it's the realtor not the agency. I LOVE OUR REALTOR. She gave us EXCELLENT advice and we made good money with her. However, the people who bought our house is also using a Remax Realtor and he's not very impressive. IMHO I think he's not do enough to represent his buyers and I'm the seller saying this so you know it's not good.

Two comments that might help:
1) If you are relocating and use Remax there is a good chance your Remax realtor can prequalify an existing Realtor for you for your relocation. If you sign up on the Remax internet site saying you are looking for a realtor you get the newbies. Nothing wrong with that... just not what I was looking for. Our Portland realtor prequalified a Durham Agent for us. She gets a referral fee for doing this. BUT she is giving us the referral fee at closing. She's cleared that w/ the Durham Realtor. Something to think about and ask for. (We are repeat customers for her... so that is probably why she is doing this for us.)

2) I hate the quality of Fonville Morisey Photos on their website. I literally groan now when I see it's a FM listing because I know the photos are going to be unclear and just plain bad. I am using a Mac (very new one) so maybe what ever they are using doesn't jive w/ my Mac.

I am usually a buy local, support local biz kind of gal. But I must admit when it comes to real estate and relocating I like the perceived security of a national biz. It's probably just all in my head.

BTW, we found our realtor here that we love through friends/neighbors. Also we saw that she sold ALOT of houses in our neighborhood so that sealed it for us.

Good luck!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:29 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't know if I necessarily agree with this. I definitely would ask a realtor about their experience, but such things as "presidents Club" or "Top Producers" club sound like made up industry awards that are handed out at cheesy luncheons held at the holiday inn. I'm sure it means something to the agents in their industry as a measure of their accomplishments, but it doesn't really increase your stock in my opinion.

Back when I used to watch the Real Estate channel here in Raleigh, I always found it amusing how many realtors touted themselves as #1 in the nation. How could so many Realtors claim to be #1? I guess each company has their on awards so more than one person can claim the title of #1.

I am kind of old school when it comes to working with people. References from friends and coworkers go a long way. I loved working with my realtor and give out his name to inquiring friends every opportunity I get. I'm sure they will still interview the realtor and get a feel for his experience, but if a Realtor tried to impress me with memberships or awards like something like a "president's club" it would mean very little to me.

On that note, what is the story with these big name realtors who have a "Team"? I get the feeling that they are selling themselves more than they are selling their client's homes. Seems like these "Star" realtors work on high volume and have a cackle of newbie agents working under them to drum up business for them. Something tells me if I had a question about my listing Linda Craft wouldn't be the one to return my call.

Agent's who plaster their fancy glamour shot pictures on the “For Sale” sign that is put in a clients front yard aren't for me. Give me a good old fashioned agent that is going to work one on one with me and not hand me off to his/her assistants. That is the person I will work with to buy, sell and then buy again.
NRG...I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your humor!!! I am soooo in agreement with you on so many points!!!

I always tell my clients...find a Realtor that you feel you can build a relationship with. Buying a home means you'll be spending alot of time together. Find someone who knows the area (or even though she has lived here for 25 years, has a GPS!). Find someone who truly wants to help you and not just make a sale.

Find someone who has been in the business long enough to have some experience but not so long as to be bored with their job.

When it comes time to sell your home, you'll want someone that you work well with. Again, alot of trust goes with this job. I'm always amazed when a seller calls me after living in their home for only 2 years. A home that they bought when I wasn't their agent. I always ask them about the agent that sold them their house. Some of them have just forgotten the name of that agent! Some didn't have a great experience. And the really nice ones say that I was referred to them with such great remarks that they had to call! NONE of them ask me about my awards!!!

Vicki

Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
If you are selling your house with one of the big companies like that, do you run into conflict-of-interest situations when both buyer and seller are represented by the same company?
Could one of the realtors please address this question? This is a version of dual agency, right?

Old 04-27-2007, 08:06 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
If the seller and buyer are represented by different agents within the SAME company, it goes to "designated" status. That means that the buyer's agent is working solely with the buyer and the seller's agent is working solely with the seller. Vicki

Old 04-27-2007, 08:23 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Could one of the realtors please address this question? This is a version of dual agency, right?
http://www.ncrec.state.nc.us/pdf/brochures/WorkingwAgents-8.5x14.pdf (broken link)

That brochure touches on it.

Also, from NC Statutes:

"(j) When a firm represents both the buyer and seller in the
same real estate sales transaction, the firm may, with the prior
express approval of its buyer and seller clients, designate one or
more individual brokers associated with the fi rm to represent
only the interests of the seller and one or more other individual
brokers associated with the firm to represent only the interests
of the buyer in the transaction. The authority for designated
agency must be reduced to writing not later than the time that
the parties are required to reduce their dual agency agreement
to writing in accordance with subsection (d) of this rule. An individual
broker shall not be so designated and shall not undertake
to represent only the interests of one party if the broker has actually
received confi dential information concerning the other party in
connection with the transaction. A broker-in-charge shall not act
as a designated broker for a party in a real estate sales transaction
when a provisional broker under his or her supervision will act as a
designated broker for another party with a competing interest.
(k) When a firm acting as a dual agent designates an individual
broker to represent the seller, the broker so designated shall represent
only the interest of the seller and shall not, without the seller’s
permission, disclose to the buyer or a broker designated to represent
the buyer:
(1) that the seller may agree to a price, terms, or any conditions
of sale other than those established by the seller;
(2) the seller’s motivation for engaging in the transaction
unless disclosure is otherwise required by statute or rule;
and
(3) any information about the seller which the seller has
identified as confidential unless disclosure of the information
is otherwise required by statute or rule.
(l) When a firm acting as a dual agent designates an individual
broker to represent the buyer, the broker so designated shall
represent only the interest of the buyer and shall not, without the
buyer’s permission, disclose to the seller or a broker designated to
represent the seller:
(1) that the buyer may agree to a price, terms, or any conditions
of sale other than those offered by the buyer;
(2) the buyer’s motivation for engaging in the transaction
unless disclosure is otherwise required by statute or rule;
and
(3) any information about the buyer which the buyer has
identifi ed as confidential unless disclosure of the information
is otherwise required by statute or rule."

Old 04-27-2007, 08:26 AM

229 posts, read 1,054,353 times
Arrow Conflict of Interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Regarding the question of conflict of interest:

If the listing firm and its agents represent both the buyer and the seller in the same transaction this is called "Dual Agency". This is perfectly legal. However, in order to protect the buyer, the buyer can appoint the person acting on their behalf to become a designated agent.

When acting as a designated agent on behalf of the buyer the agent is now obligated to represent the buyer's best interests. This option allows each "desgnated agent" to more fully represent each party. A designated agent for the seller and a designated agent for the buyer.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:02 AM

281 posts, read 1,108,396 times
all good comments, especially how it's the individual agent and their work habits that really matter. IMO it doesn't matter at all what company whoever is with and how many transaction that company does a year, that's why Realtors rely on referrals...if you don't do a good job; you won't get many more......always ask a friend or family member who they used and what they thought of the "person" they had to represent them.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:55 PM

64 posts, read 251,230 times
We had a Remax agent Moderator cut: no names please for our first purchase and she was wonderful. Honestly, it was like going house hunting with my mom. She was more picky than we were and that was a good thing.

Last edited by autumngal; 12-10-2007 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: dm info instead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary