Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:23 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieMommy View Post
I am also looking for some 6 ft Crape Myrtles. Thanks for all the helpful links !!!

I am a poor gardener though and I need to ask this question - is this the best time of the year to plant them? Or should I wait?? My yard is bare and I want to plant some soon, but I don't want to risk them dying on me (plants have a way of doing that around me! ). Thanks!
I suggest you wait a month until the peak of the heat is gone. The new trees will establish well before next summer.
But, that month gives you time to dig a big hole!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:44 AM

102 posts, read 316,634 times
Broadwell's in Angier!

You'll pay a fraction of what you pay at Atlantic or the national chains. I saw people buying Japanese Maples for $10....

Cash or check only

7110 Old Stage Rd N
Angier, NC 27501-7410

(919) 639-2952‎

Old 08-25-2009, 11:01 AM

148 posts, read 559,835 times
I second Mike's advice, though I might even push it a little longer and say wait until October. Fall is the best time to plant to allow a plants roots to reestablish themselves before the stress of spring growth and summer heat.

That being said, ANY TIME is a good time to plant if you're prepared to baby the plant with what it needs to survive.

NRG--let us know what you end up with. Also, when you're at the nursuries, check out the Natchez variety. They bloom white, which may not give you the color you're looking for, but the bark shedding habbit is beautiful, and will give you winter interest as well. Happy planting!

Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Wagner View Post
NRG--let us know what you end up with. Also, when you're at the nursuries, check out the Natchez variety. They bloom white, which may not give you the color you're looking for, but the bark shedding habbit is beautiful, and will give you winter interest as well.
Agreed - but keep in mind it's a very large variety. Make sure you have the room for it.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 AM

148 posts, read 559,835 times
CHTransplant--what't the least amount of sun you've seen CM's do well in? I have a long neighborhood drive that we've been talking about planting specimin trees on, but the over story is all old growth pine, oaks, sweet gum, with some dappled sun coming through.

Not sure I could keep a CM thriving in this condition. Your thoughts?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Agreed - but keep in mind it's a very large variety. Make sure you have the room for it.
How big do they get? I was actually strongly considering the Natchez variety. I like the way they look. I was planning on actively managing the growth habit of the tree after planting it. I'm not talking about "Crape Murder" mind you, just regular pruning to promote a healthy upright growth habit.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
According to the US Forest Service they grow 25-30 feet in height with a 15-25 foot spread. That's consistent with my experience.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:29 AM

502 posts, read 1,251,951 times
Just Trees, part of Pope Landscaping 919-771-2599.

Our neighbors used them last year for beautiful magnolias, cherry trees, and a beautiful maple tree. We are hoping to use them as well--still trying to figure out our budget to see if we need to wait until spring. We need to decide soon as we will need to select the trees at their nursery to have them planted in end Sept/Oct.

Besides the awesome trees, we like that they have a 2 year guarantee on all their trees. Our neighbors had a small problem with a tree and instead of trying to rehabilitate it, Pope simply replaced it--no haggling.

Their prices are competitive plus you get that 2 year replacement guarantee.

The landscape architect is a bit annoying but she is knowledgeable.

Just checked the website--they are running a special on crepe myrtles right now. 8-10' and 10'-12'

Drats, the moderator cut the link. If you are interested, google "just trees" "Garner"

Old 08-25-2009, 11:41 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
How big do they get? I was actually strongly considering the Natchez variety. I like the way they look. I was planning on actively managing the growth habit of the tree after planting it. I'm not talking about "Crape Murder" mind you, just regular pruning to promote a healthy upright growth habit.
Just thin out the suckers and you will have a nice upright fountain shape.
Perfect for the Natchez variety.
Just don't plant it against another tree or your house.

I have one, and it is about 14 feet high, 10 feet wide, and starting to run.
I expect it to get to 30'Hx25'W in time.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:25 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
I had trees planted in November back in Virginia and they did fantastic (and it's a lot colder there). I think it helped that I had lots of organic material worked into the beds, but you can definitely plant late in the fall.

I can't wait to get some new trees put in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary