Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:42 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Plasma does not suffer from the burn-in problems that existed when the technology first came out. Great strides have been made on that front so fears of plasma burn-in should no longer dissuade anyone from purchasing.
Right.

We bought a Best Buy Insignia 720p for $999. Cheapo.
On Day 26, it got a green line on the screen, and I called in for service.
On Day 30, the tech told me I had a choice of a new TV, or a new panel in that TV.
Duh-h.. Oh! Door #1. New TV, if you please!

They brought out an Insignia 1080p with more controls and input options.
I told the set up crew leader that it was the wrong set.
He said, "They do that all the time."
Okay. I'll live with it.

We have no burn in that I can see in 11 months, and we do not stretch the image to cover the screen. Everything shows in native width.
It ran very warm prior to calibration, but is much cooler now.

So, we got "lucky." I do think it is a better TV than the one it replaced.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 09-07-2009 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 08:15 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,091,305 times
Comp USA (formerly Tiger Direct) on Capital Blvd has the best prices I've seen on TV's. I suggest checking there first.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:26 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Comp USA does seem to have the best local prices, especially on refurbs. They typically have an insert in the Sunday N&O which you can use for price checks. Mail order can be even less.
It is helpful to check out the more reputable on line reviews. Comparing picture quality in a store involves way to many unknowns to really be useful.

Frank

Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,762 times
There are tons of deals out there. You can get a 50 inch right now from 700 to 1000. I would recommend looking online. sears had a lg 720p 50 inch on sale for 682. Go to highdefjunkies.com and post your question there.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 AM

718 posts, read 2,973,687 times
I used www.buydig.com for my 52 inch LCD TV and SLR camera. It was free delivery, no tax and beat BJ's and Costco as well as Best Buy etc in price.
Was delived right to my door, no issue. All warrenties etc.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 AM

621 posts, read 2,219,061 times
keep trolling slickdeals or fatwallet... you'll be able to find a nice set for a good price within several weeks... I also recommend Costco, the return policy is great--even at 90 days.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:08 PM

149 posts, read 431,662 times
I watched and waited for months on the Samsung LN52A650. I used pricespider.com to watch for any pricing dips. I finally got it for around $1700 at Best Buy of all places. Not a cheap TV but the first I've purchased in a decade so it's a huge upgrade for me. I used Consumer Reports to inform my purchasing.

If you're wall mounting, be sure to shop around on those as well. I bought one at Best Buy on the day of purchase but ended up returning and paying less for a much better Cheetah mount through an Amazon affiliate.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM

450 posts, read 1,554,098 times
I just bought a 40" recently. Just go to Hot Deals - SlickDeals.net Forums and search their deals daily.

I found a great price on my 40" Samsung from Amazon about 8 months ago (they put it on sale for about 20 minutes at $660 and I got lucky and caught it, thanks to Slickdeals. It's still selling for over $750).

Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
I used www.buydig.com for my 52 inch LCD TV and SLR camera. It was free delivery, no tax and beat BJ's and Costco as well as Best Buy etc in price.
Was delived right to my door, no issue. All warrenties etc.
Good site, maybe too good, I just dropped a bunch of money on a nice 50" plasma. Counting the 5-10 days of shipping...

Old 09-09-2009, 05:50 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckdisc View Post
I watched and waited for months on the Samsung LN52A650. I used pricespider.com to watch for any pricing dips. I finally got it for around $1700 at Best Buy of all places. Not a cheap TV but the first I've purchased in a decade so it's a huge upgrade for me.
I had a similar experience with this year's version of that model - Best Buy had it on sale for the same price as Amazon, and was then willing to knock another $100 off to make the sale. After their reward zone points and taxes is was basically a wash.

That being said, I've also ordered from Amazon in the past and had no complaints. I think in general their prices are going to be better but watch the sites people have mentioned to see what deals pop up.

Quote:
If you're wall mounting, be sure to shop around on those as well. I bought one at Best Buy on the day of purchase but ended up returning and paying less for a much better Cheetah mount through an Amazon affiliate.
For wall mounts, cables and other accesories, absolutely do not buy locally. Monoprice.com is a great source - wall mounts for $25 or so, HDMI cables for $6, and so on. This is where stores mark up their prices to make back the money they lose selling TVs, so it's not a case of "you get what you pay for" - the cheap cables work just as well as the $100 ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary