Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:25 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibby711 View Post
Who is the best person to get a hold of to install a propane line from an outside tank to the home? would you call a plumber? or who exactly do you have do this? thanks.
Your propane provider probably offers this service.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 04:57 AM

51 posts, read 412,772 times
I would think that the person that sells the tank would do it. But it would be nice to hear from others that may have done this.

In my case, with a 100lb tank and two 30lb tanks, I ran the lines and created the manifold with shutoff valves myself. Just parts from Lowe's pretty much and not too hard. But if it is a larger tank and needs a line buried, I would get someone licensed.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:17 PM

28 posts, read 136,733 times
I have a 500 gallon tank to heat the house, and a 100 gal tank for the fireplace. A gas co comes out to fill both every other month. There will be two $1,000 fillups during the winter! It hurts, but I can't talk my wife into wearing boots and a jacket indoors.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
It depends on how often you use your propane tank, and how many things you have hooked up to it as to how much propane you will use. We have a gas furnace, gas water heater, gas range top, and two gas fireplaces in our house. We have a 500 gallon propane tank we use to provide fuel to all of this. The propane company comes and fills it about three times a year - usually November. January/February, and then around April. The tanks are not usually empty - typically around 20% to 50% full when the fill them (and they usually fill them around 80% full as well). Not sure if any of that helps.
I also have a 500 gallon tank that i had filled to 82% October 9th. Then on Dec. 22nd being at 16% i had it filled to 52%. It now needs filled again and it's only Jan. 17th. Even though i only had it filled to 52% 3 weeks ago does this seem like normal usage to you or is it outrageous?

Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilee View Post
I also have a 500 gallon tank that i had filled to 82% October 9th. Then on Dec. 22nd being at 16% i had it filled to 52%. It now needs filled again and it's only Jan. 17th. Even though i only had it filled to 52% 3 weeks ago does this seem like normal usage to you or is it outrageous?
The last few weeks had been the coldest continuous stretch in regional history, so it's not totally unreasonable. For instance, we have a dual fuel heat pump (only burn propane when it is below 35 degrees), and we burned more propane last month than we did the whole year before that.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseschulman View Post
So we recently bought a house in Clayton and they had put in a gas range/oven which is fairly new. When they did this, they put in a 100 lb propane tank. Not sure how long it will last us, but the previous owner said about 3 months. 100 lbs of propane is roughly 22 gallons. We also have an electric hot water heater that is in its final year(s). We have been thinking about replacing it next year with an LP tankless hot water heater. We know we will need to get a bigger LP tank, and were thinking of a 125 or 250 gallon one.

My question is, does anyone in the area have a 125 or 250 or even a 500 gallon propane tank and what is it used for in your house? How often do you have to get it filled? We are trying to see if a 125 or 250 would be able to get us through an entire year to maximize savings on buying propane during the off-season in larger quantities.
Yes I do have 125 gal tank and use for dryer and thankless hot water it lasts 1 year taking lots of long showers my wife stays in shower sometimes as long as 45 min
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary