Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:06 PM

51 posts, read 412,772 times

Advertisements

So we recently bought a house in Clayton and they had put in a gas range/oven which is fairly new. When they did this, they put in a 100 lb propane tank. Not sure how long it will last us, but the previous owner said about 3 months. 100 lbs of propane is roughly 22 gallons. We also have an electric hot water heater that is in its final year(s). We have been thinking about replacing it next year with an LP tankless hot water heater. We know we will need to get a bigger LP tank, and were thinking of a 125 or 250 gallon one.

My question is, does anyone in the area have a 125 or 250 or even a 500 gallon propane tank and what is it used for in your house? How often do you have to get it filled? We are trying to see if a 125 or 250 would be able to get us through an entire year to maximize savings on buying propane during the off-season in larger quantities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 05:28 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,086 times
We live in Clayton as well. Our fireplace runs off of propane, a 125 tank I think. We fill it once a year and it lasts us through the "cold months"!

Old 10-24-2009, 05:39 PM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
We have an LP tank that will hold 270 gallons (accounting for expansion of the fuel-- the physical tank probably has a volume of 300+) and only use it for central heat. The truck comes by to top it off every other month, only during the winter months- obviously- and tank doesn't get close to empty in two months' time.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:15 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
It depends on how often you use your propane tank, and how many things you have hooked up to it as to how much propane you will use. We have a gas furnace, gas water heater, gas range top, and two gas fireplaces in our house. We have a 500 gallon propane tank we use to provide fuel to all of this. The propane company comes and fills it about three times a year - usually November. January/February, and then around April. The tanks are not usually empty - typically around 20% to 50% full when the fill them (and they usually fill them around 80% full as well). Not sure if any of that helps.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:33 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,050 times
We live in Clayton as well. When we moved in we decided on Propane for cooking stove, Dryer, Fireplace and hooked up outdoor bbq as well. We had 2 - 100 gallon tanks installed. We had 2 refills (each of about 100 gallons) about every 9 - 10 months over the course of about 20 months. Its just me and my wife here, but she uses the stove daily and the dryer several times a week. We use the fireplace regularly for hours at a time in the colder winter months. Ultimately, we too want to install a tankless LP water heater which is why we went with 2 - 100 gallon tanks (which we could have installed right next to the house so we could place a fence around that area - and why we did not go with a single larger tank which could not have been installed in same location).

Old 10-25-2009, 11:28 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
I'm curious as I've never lived in a home with LP. What is the cost? I've looked at homes that had this and understand its b/c they were beyond the city's gas lines(?). Are there other benefits to having LP?

Old 10-25-2009, 12:11 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
I've had both, and I can't think of any benefits or drawbacks from having propane vs. natural gas. Cost for propane varies depending on the market and supplier you use.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:20 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Propane is typically more expensive for the same amount of BTUs. So use natural gas if you have it available at your home, propane if not.
Propane is also slight more dangerous than natural gas in many situations as it is heavier than air. Hence if you have a leak it tends to collect in the home, rather than escaping up the flue (in a fireplace). A thermocouple/safety pilot will stop the flow of gas if the pilot goes out.

Frank

Old 10-26-2009, 06:56 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Thanks Frankpc and rfb! Your comments were helpful as I'll be looking for a house next yr in an area that may well have many homes with LP.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 86,111 times
Who is the best person to get a hold of to install a propane line from an outside tank to the home? would you call a plumber? or who exactly do you have do this? thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary