Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 10:39 PM

632 posts, read 1,844,903 times

Advertisements

So, I'm finally getting around to this stuff after our move here, prompted by the fact that one car's registration will expire shortly I'm taking my DL test tomorrow and will get the car(s) inspected. My husband, however, will not be able to take the time to do the same, but the car titles are in both our names--will this pose a problem in me trying to get them registered here, or will my name/license alone suffice?

Also, in another thread, I read that you can call ahead to the DMV so you don't have to wait. Do you make an appointment for a specific time, or is it like getting your name put on a waiting list?

Thanks for your help!
Tab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 04:22 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCats View Post
So, I'm finally getting around to this stuff after our move here, prompted by the fact that one car's registration will expire shortly I'm taking my DL test tomorrow and will get the car(s) inspected. My husband, however, will not be able to take the time to do the same, but the car titles are in both our names--will this pose a problem in me trying to get them registered here, or will my name/license alone suffice?

Also, in another thread, I read that you can call ahead to the DMV so you don't have to wait. Do you make an appointment for a specific time, or is it like getting your name put on a waiting list?

Thanks for your help!
Tab
I know I didn't go with my wife when she transfered the plates. Here's what the NC DMV web site says:
Valid driver licenses from other states may be accepted for vehicle registrations with documentation of the following:

Military active duty stationed in N.C.;
College enrollment in an N.C. school;
Vehicle garaged in N.C. for a minimum of 6 months each year;
Court-ordered sale of a vehicle;
Vehicle is co-owned;
Registration for a motor home; or
Documented medical condition

NOTE: If there are multiple owners to be recorded on a title and only one owner is delivering the paperwork, please bring the alternate owner’s valid ID/ Driver’s License or a copy thereof.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 AM

770 posts, read 2,754,416 times
Quote:

Thanks for your help!
Tab
When I registered a new vehicle the other week I believe I read that your husband does not have to be present but you will need his license/copy of license (presumably NC license)
When I think back about moving here with an out of state vehicle I believe I had to take my DL test before they would register it even though I had supporting documentation to show I was an NC resident

Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
So, I'm finally getting around to this stuff after our move here, prompted by the fact that one car's registration will expire shortly I'm taking my DL test tomorrow and will get the car(s) inspected.
I don't think you need to get the cars inspected when registering a car from out of state. You're first inspection will be due at registration renewal in a year. Check the DMV website for details.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the replies (hi Bill). Someone told me about making sure I got the "right form" for registering the car tags w/out the other title holder. Maybe I mis-understood.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:32 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
The NC test questions are intended to find out, not your skills, but have you read the book? It is absurd. My wife barely passed; I went to the site and maxed the test:
Driver License Exam BrainDumps: Study Guide for the NC DMV exam

Old 10-27-2009, 10:51 AM

I read the BrainDumps site last night, so hopefully I'm ready for the test (browsed through the booklet, too).

I called NCDOT and they said I needed a Power of Attorney signed in order for me to register our jointly-titled vehicles.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:31 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies (hi Bill). Someone told me about making sure I got the "right form" for registering the car tags w/out the other title holder. Maybe I mis-understood.
Yes, I had to get our cars inspected before plating them here. (Hi indeed).

Old 10-27-2009, 02:48 PM

Okay, so I went to take the DL test today. I called for an appointment so I wouldn't have to wait and was told what to bring with me: social security card, proof of insurance, proof of residency, current DL. That's what I took, but it wasn't enough! Seems my SS card only has my middle initial and they won't give me my new DL until I show proof of what the initial stands for. Sheesh. Hi ho, Hi ho, it's back again I go.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary