Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:49 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
No, I think Jeff's right in his interpretation. Yes, TWC and other cable companies have to push out the QAL broadcast on their cable lines. That doesn't mean they're required to push it out on their internet service. I think they do, because they use the same lines and it's not practical for them to filter it off the "internet only" service.
Or they forget to put on a filter. I read about this "free HD channels" bit here a while back - but when I tried it, I didn't have any signal coming through. I assume they put a filter on - it's hit or miss at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 08:27 AM

113 posts, read 371,934 times
so comparing the last couple days of OTA versus cable, I swapped back to cable last night, I wans't really missing much. I am going to install the antenna this weekend, if only temporarily, on the roof of my shed and see what I can get. Meaning if wral still stutters every once in a while like it was witht he antenna in the house. If it doesn't, I think even at $22/month, cable is still to much for me and i will cancel, again.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Cable is too expensive, but sadly I'm hostage to it for now. I can count on one hand, and still have fingers left, the number of shows I watch on the traditional broadcast networks. Almost everything we watch is on channels one can't get OTA.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:45 AM

569 posts, read 1,977,621 times
Quote:
So you neglected to read the part where it's FCC LAW that they have to provide the QAL broadcast? They can't filter it, it is illegal. Since I noticed this (over a year ago) I know dozens of people who take advantage of this free broadcasting service that TW cable is required to push out.
So you neglected to read the title of the law. "Part 76 - Cable Television Service". If you are not subscribing to "Cable Television Service" the law does not apply to you. http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/cfr/1998/47cfr76.pdf (broken link)
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...7cfr76_07.html

The only thing the law you summarized says is that if you subscribe to "Cable Television Service" they have to provide you the local channels in a form that can be received without a cable converter box.

Last edited by jeffs555; 11-19-2009 at 09:02 AM..

Old 12-14-2009, 04:59 PM
jhk

108 posts, read 256,024 times
ive called a few times and threatened to cancel with no luck in dropping my price the past few weeks. im sure they have sales notes and can see where ive called. I only have the digi phone and internet and pay 91 for the total bill. they must not negotiate if you dont have the whole bundle or either i get the wrong person to work with each time.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:19 AM

211 posts, read 613,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhk View Post
ive called a few times and threatened to cancel with no luck in dropping my price the past few weeks. im sure they have sales notes and can see where ive called. I only have the digi phone and internet and pay 91 for the total bill. they must not negotiate if you dont have the whole bundle or either i get the wrong person to work with each time.
I was able to permanently (I believe) knock $10 off my roadrunner only bill. It took about 45 minutes, but $10 is $10.

They couldn't figure out how to route my call but eventually got me to retentions.

TWC retentions apparently is nothing like Directv retentions. They seem to have little power.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:21 AM

211 posts, read 613,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverflash View Post
so comparing the last couple days of OTA versus cable, I swapped back to cable last night, I wans't really missing much. I am going to install the antenna this weekend, if only temporarily, on the roof of my shed and see what I can get. Meaning if wral still stutters every once in a while like it was witht he antenna in the house. If it doesn't, I think even at $22/month, cable is still to much for me and i will cancel, again.
Using the correct antenna you should be able to get all locals with zero interruptions. WUNC is a bit different based on where the antenna is, but my antenna is in my attic out in Wake Forest (Franklin Co) and I have no issues at all.

Check out antennaweb.org if you don't already have an antenna or to ensure your antenna is a reasonable one.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 AM
jhk

108 posts, read 256,024 times
thanks. maybe i need to go ahead and ask for retention :lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by darman1484 View Post
I was able to permanently (I believe) knock $10 off my roadrunner only bill. It took about 45 minutes, but $10 is $10.

They couldn't figure out how to route my call but eventually got me to retentions.

TWC retentions apparently is nothing like Directv retentions. They seem to have little power.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:40 AM

518 posts, read 1,052,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Or they forget to put on a filter. I read about this "free HD channels" bit here a while back - but when I tried it, I didn't have any signal coming through. I assume they put a filter on - it's hit or miss at best.
I hate TWC! I love how the advertise "the home of Free HD" and in the same sentence say for $10/mo. How is that free?

They keep dumbing down their interface too. FFW/REW and some record features are FUBR compared to a few yrs ago.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:25 AM

321 posts, read 880,036 times
Anyone complaining about the increase for cable has got to realize that TW only passes down the increase that THEY have to pay for the very channels that you love to watch..... especially ESPN!! They are held hostage every year when contract renewals come up and the channel providers hike their rates to provide programming to TW. So you think TW is supposed to EAT that cost increase? No, like every other service provider, they will pass that increase to you, the customer. They are still the best and most reliable provider out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary