Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 05:08 AM

214 posts, read 702,044 times

Advertisements

Everyone seems to use pine straw mulch here in NC. This makes me laugh because my hubby and I spent countless hours trying to get rid of pine needles up North. Now we pay for them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 06:11 AM

850 posts, read 3,626,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I'm glad I didn't select Clayton. We did a lot of looking there, and came close to buying. I always kept an eye out for the kind of trees the area has. Not that pines eliminate all ticks, but many will go down the street to the yard with more leafy trees, thus leaving fewer for you to deal with.
I doubt the ticks are limited to Clayton..lol. I didn't know that about pine trees.....our wooded back is mostly pine.

Lauren

Old 05-18-2007, 06:38 AM

16 posts, read 60,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenskagirl2 View Post
Nice, I did not pick the house with the forest in the yard, because of the tick thing, but there is alot of pine straw mulch around the house we did make an offer on! What is a safe mulch to use? Does anyoneone know of a good pest service in Clayton?
A lot of people use the pine straw mulch because it's less expensive, but I'd personally just find some regular mulch at a nursery or Home Depot when I wanted to garden in the yard. You can always do a little at a time; it's not like the chiggers are going to chase you across the yard. Just don't do what I did and hold the pine straw right next to your body, with short sleeves, capris, no gloves, and knowing me probably no shoes either. *laugh* Cover up when you have to change it and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:22 PM

312 posts, read 1,905,288 times
I lives in Clayton, too, and we didn't have any ticks in our partial wooden backyard. I used to live in Florida and I had a tick on me one time. To protect yourself from Lyme disease, call your doctor and ask for Amoxillican antibotic to take for a week. Better be safe than sorry.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:45 PM

233 posts, read 860,773 times
we use cedar mulch around the house and flower beds, its a little more expensive, but it helps to keep the bugs (fleas & ticks, etc.) down. Something to do with the cedar oil... plus I love the smell of cedar anyways.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:30 PM

53 posts, read 162,211 times
Dr. put me on Doxycycline 100mg for 14 days. Anyone in Glen Laurel have a tick problem?

Old 05-18-2007, 07:53 PM

214 posts, read 702,044 times
I honestly have not seen one yet on myself or either of my kids who are outside more than they are in. Just like any type of insects including mosquitos- you have to take precautions.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:09 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenskagirl2 View Post
Dr. put me on Doxycycline 100mg for 14 days. Anyone in Glen Laurel have a tick problem?
Svenskagirl, Congrats on the house! And it's always good to be safe... good thinking calling the Doc. My sister use to live in Clayton but lives in Chatam Co. now. She and her hubby use cedar chips near the house to cut down on the bugs. They would would do cedar everywhere but it's more expensive. So they use pine straw on the beds away from the house. Ticks and fleas like pine straw for nesting.

I grew up in Eastern NC and as a child sat in a tick nest while playing in the woods and had over one hundered ticks on me. My mom and Aunt stopped counting at the 100 mark. I still remember it. I don't think I've ever seen my mom so pale. But I did not get sick ... do not remember if Mom got an anitbiotic from the Doc or not. This was 30+ years ago. So you could have gotten 13 ticks if you were near a nest.

My dad use to put some sort of chemical dust in the yard to kill the ticks / keep them away. I'm sure it was not organic and might possible be considered toxic today. Maybe check with your local nursery to see if they sale something you could apply or an organic alternative.

Good luck! And remember ticks aren't ususally a problem in the cold months!

BTW, Welcome to NC!

Old 05-19-2007, 01:51 AM

53 posts, read 162,211 times
PDXmom, I need your Dad

Old 05-19-2007, 04:38 PM

233 posts, read 860,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Svenskagirl, Congrats on the house! And it's always good to be safe... good thinking calling the Doc. My sister use to live in Clayton but lives in Chatam Co. now. She and her hubby use cedar chips near the house to cut down on the bugs. They would would do cedar everywhere but it's more expensive. So they use pine straw on the beds away from the house. Ticks and fleas like pine straw for nesting.

I grew up in Eastern NC and as a child sat in a tick nest while playing in the woods and had over one hundered ticks on me. My mom and Aunt stopped counting at the 100 mark. I still remember it. I don't think I've ever seen my mom so pale. But I did not get sick ... do not remember if Mom got an anitbiotic from the Doc or not. This was 30+ years ago. So you could have gotten 13 ticks if you were near a nest.

My dad use to put some sort of chemical dust in the yard to kill the ticks / keep them away. I'm sure it was not organic and might possible be considered toxic today. Maybe check with your local nursery to see if they sale something you could apply or an organic alternative.

Good luck! And remember ticks aren't ususally a problem in the cold months!

BTW, Welcome to NC!
I would guess SevinDust... my in-laws put it on everything including the goats and the dogs.. and yes it was safe for the animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary