Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 12:18 AM

9 posts, read 24,927 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My wife and I have been looking everywhere for a bigger, more affordable home than what we could get here in So Cal. But to us, even more important than a nice house (and a good job) is having a great environment for our 2 and 5 year old kids. Someone once told us that out of every place they had visited in the US, Raleigh had the nicest kids.

We know that people are people, and there's good and bad folks everywhere, but we'd really like to know if Raleigh actually does have a noticeable higher level of friendly kids. Has anyone else found this to be true?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 04:33 AM

546 posts, read 2,417,601 times
Wow! What a compliment to Raleigh. There are, of course, good and bad people everywhere but we love our childrens' classmates and friends. The one thing that jumped to my mind when I read your post was how nice and genuinely respectful the teenagers seemed when we moved here. We have had the nicest, most respectful, engaged babysitters, pet sitters, etc. The older kids at our church are the same. That is what I love about the kids in Raleigh!

Old 05-18-2007, 05:11 AM

640 posts, read 2,012,603 times
No offence..but what kind of question is that? "Nice" is a very subjective term. Some people might find "Nice" in Raleigh as superficial coming from somewhere else. Can be a reflection on you as well. Those broad blanket generalizations are
the reason we are in such big trouble.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:23 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post

We know that people are people, and there's good and bad folks everywhere, but we'd really like to know if Raleigh actually does have a noticeable higher level of friendly kids. Has anyone else found this to be true?

Thanks!
Sure! Raleigh out all of the tons of cities in this state, eastern seaboard, midwest, west and southwest most likely has the highest number of friendliest kids around. I'll venture to say they're probably even more friendly than kids from Charlotte. Have we gotten to the point on this Raleigh board where people are seriously creating threads like this?

Old 05-18-2007, 05:24 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
No offence..but what kind of question is that? "Nice" is a very subjective term. Some people might find "Nice" in Raleigh as superficial coming from somewhere else. Can be a reflection on you as well. Those broad blanket generalizations are
the reason we are in such big trouble.
Eaxctly. Why would someone think up such a question? How can you even judge whether or not Raleigh has the nicest kids? You can't!

Old 05-18-2007, 05:59 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
Mine lives here so must be true.....lol Just kiddingggggg. Children tend to learn from their parents, so if the people are really nice, then maybe the children area also.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:01 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. My wife and I have been looking everywhere for a bigger, more affordable home than what we could get here in So Cal. But to us, even more important than a nice house (and a good job) is having a great environment for our 2 and 5 year old kids. Someone once told us that out of every place they had visited in the US, Raleigh had the nicest kids.

Thanks!
Yes, the kids are truly great.
Then they teach Mom and Dad how to use the computer, and you get whacked in online forums.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:58 AM

161 posts, read 602,299 times
Quote:
I do not think this is an unreasonable question at all. My sister and her kids, who live in another state, visited my sister and her kids here in Raleigh, in the Mordecai neighborhood, and was deeply moved at how many nice friendly kids there are in the neighborhood. She stated with great certainty that she would much rather her kids grew up with these Raleigh kids than those where she lived.
I am not a mindless Raleigh booster by any means, but one of the things I like best about the area is that there is a culture of kindness and friendliness. We have a unique blend of liberal and conservative, of southern and northern and immigrant, of traditional and modern, with a large dose of good education, and the blend has resulted in a culture that emphasizes politeness, tolerance, open-mindedness, and just plain kindness.
I am also impressed that this is an area that places great emphasis on raising kids right. Parents take the time to share ideas and help each other. I notice especially in our schools, where I often present programs, that the kids are nice. Not meek or straight-laced, but polite and friendly and happy. I believe our school system reflects our culture’s special blend of old-fashioned politeness and kindness, and modern tolerance and open-mindedness.
Needless to say, these are only generalizations. Every town is different, every neighborhood is different, every school is different, every kid is different. But I have lived many places and visited many places, and these generalizations I believe with my heart.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:49 AM

478 posts, read 2,045,951 times
The children we've met at parks in Raleigh have def not been 'nicer' than the children from where we moved. We've had experiences completely new to us, like 1st grade classes at the park with nearly all the kids mock shooting each other in the head, with their hands as a fake gun. Not talking 'educating kids in gun safety, hunting, etc'. I'm talking about 1st graders going up to each other and 'shooting' in the head, like they know exactly how to murder someone.

We've also had a lot of girls and boys be very aggressive, pulling my kids' arms, dragging them around until they fall. Of course, I step in and keep my kids safe, but we never had anything like this before.

The commands from complete strangers to my kids (this is from the adults) is annoying, too. What happened to respecting personal space and not going up and just touching other people's kids and telling them what to do? Or shouting at my toddler in my arms, 'Whatz a'matta? Yur tired? Huh?'

We still go to the local parks, can't keep the kids indoors or some such thing! But we do miss the politeness, respect, gentleness we used to have in our community. Even teenagers where we used to live were a joy to talk with, so polite and joyous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary