Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:02 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,537 times

Advertisements

I always tip our mail carrier (regardless of regulations) as she is a regular deliverer and on a rural route usually $25
I also usually tip the paper 'thrower' $20 but he/she is a new one and pretty bad at their job, wet papers late delivery etc etc - so no tip for bad work - sorry ( they sent a xmas card recently too)
Don't have garbage collector so that question doesn't arise. I do tip extra to our waitress at a restaurant we go to every week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 07:38 AM

113 posts, read 371,998 times
I don't think i am a scrooge!

When I eat out, and if service is jsut ok, I will leave 15%. If it is very good, meaning they come by and refill drinks or ask if you need anything without being too pushy, I will give alot more. I have actually given 30% at times for really awesome service to show the waiter/waitress that i recognize their effort.

For everyone else, unless i see the same person time and time again in person, i don't give anything. They do their job, get paid for it. There is no personal interaction with me so why tip???

can you tip me??

;-)

Old 12-15-2009, 07:47 AM

871 posts, read 3,017,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Like I said, tips are gifts to thank people for doing their jobs well.

I agree indeed.

In my varied work history I have been a child paper carrier, and adult paper carrier, and, in the truest form, a milkman in the Northeast. In all of those capacities I was generously tipped and had minimal to no face-to-face contact with my customers, due to the early morning nature of these deliveries in most cases.

I always got $1000 to $2000 around Christmas. I never felt is was anyone's obligation to do so, and some did not, but it was surely an indicator of my diligent, faithful service and it inspired me to keep it that way, tip or no tip.

In this economy, it is harder to stretch the budget to suit everyone but, at least where I grew up, it was a positive aspect of life in small business!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,087 times
Wow. silver and others, I am frankly amazed in a pleasant way at the responses.

I have heard of tipping garbage collectors and mailmen, but don't. IMO tipping is WAY out of hand. I tip waitresses, bartenders, barbers, and the pizza guy, and those only grudgingly. Typically 15% or maybe a little more if it's convenient to round up or a small bill...also more if service is unusually great, but less if it's poor.

Whoever came up w/this tipping bit should be shot!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:06 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
YOU TIP WAITRESSES (and I assume waiters) ONLY GRUDGINGLY?

OMG. You obviously never worked in a restaurant.

I worked one week, at my grandmother's restaurant, and one day, on a busy holiday, at a restaurant we co-owned (as silent partners). That was more than enough.

But I've known plenty of people who work hard for their living in restaurants. They deserve every penny. We tip 20 percent or we don't go out. I really can't remember a time when a server did something so bad that they didn't deserve 20 percent.

The most excrutiatingly irritating diner (to the other diners at your table) is the one who makes sport of catching the servers in some kind of "error" so they can deny all or part of their tips. Servers are human. They have good days and bad days.

It's okay to be cheap. I LOVE getting a bargain. I LOVE saving money.

But stinginess and greed are another whole thing.

If tipping was banned, the prices of the food would go up. One way or another, you'll pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Wow. silver and others, I am frankly amazed in a pleasant way at the responses.

I have heard of tipping garbage collectors and mailmen, but don't. IMO tipping is WAY out of hand. I tip waitresses, bartenders, barbers, and the pizza guy, and those only grudgingly. Typically 15% or maybe a little more if it's convenient to round up or a small bill...also more if service is unusually great, but less if it's poor.

Whoever came up w/this tipping bit should be shot!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
I wonder why people are stick on percentages to tip on. Servers at Denny's work just as hard if not harder than those at a nice sit down place, but just because the food costs more they make more? Hmm, doesn't seem fair in my book.

My typical tip is $4-$5 for my wife and I and that can work out to 10% or 50% of the meal cost.

It's been shown that tipping generally doesn't increase service quality and most people tip the same regardless of service. IOW, the argument that tipping is "To Insure Prompt Service" just simply isn't the case. If you want good service tip before you start ordering. Throw a 5 in the waiters hand and you don't ever have to worry about asking for a refill.

That being said if it were up to me I'd just assume get my own beverage, pick up my food from the kitchen myself, and drop them off in a bin afterwords and save the $5.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:32 AM

675 posts, read 1,832,908 times
I feel anyone doing a job too dirty/inconvenient/difficult to do yourself deserves a gratuity. That said, refuse collectors in our area pull up a truck and engage the hydraulic arms to pick up and dump our bin. I don't view that as the same as the garbage men in my neighborhood growing up who came up to the garage to dump the cans themselves.

The mail carrier, however, is probably going to get a Target gift card or something... Necessary? No. But it's nice to do things for people, and I'd like him to remember that the next time we get an oversized package on a rainy day.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 AM

675 posts, read 1,832,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I wonder why people are stick on percentages to tip on. Servers at Denny's work just as hard if not harder than those at a nice sit down place, but just because the food costs more they make more? Hmm, doesn't seem fair in my book.
It's not just because the food costs more. It's because the quality of the food and service are higher. A waiter at Four Square is not going to have nearly the amount of customers to deal with at a time as a waiter at Denny's. And, also, that server at a nicer restaurant DOES work harder, to learn the menu up and down, be able to make recommendations, and yes, pay attention to quality of service.

Quote:
That being said if it were up to me I'd just assume get my own beverage, pick up my food from the kitchen myself, and drop them off in a bin afterwords and save the $5.
Then I'm sure many in the food service industry would ask that you do just that. At home.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
Then I'm sure many in the food service industry would ask that you do just that. At home.
Sure, I would never dream of doing that at a restaurant that doesn't have their operation set up like that. Your comment is quite sarcastic. Hey, whatever helps you feel better about yourself .

Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
I feel anyone doing a job too dirty/inconvenient/difficult to do yourself deserves a gratuity.
Do you tip dentists? Doctors? Lawyers? Pilots?

Probably not. But chances are you tip taxi drivers, waiters, and bar tenders. All jobs you can do yourself. Or does the job have to be dirty, inconvenient, AND difficult to get a tip from you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary