Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times

Advertisements

The Carolina Cinemas - Raleigh Grande 16 located at 4840 Grove Barton Road in North Raleigh (Across from Target and Lowes) now serves beer! My wife and I were there tonight to see "Up in the Air" and I nearly fell over when I saw they had a big chalkboard up by the concession stands listing off a bunch of wines and beers they now offer.

I know places like the Rialto sell wine and beer too, but this is the first major "first run" theater I have been to in Raleigh that serves beer. Beer ranged in price from $3.00 to $4.50 and wine was $5.75 a glass. I can't remember all they had, but these are several of the beers they had for sale.

Big Boss Bad Penny
Big Boss Hell's Belle
Big Boss Angry Angel
Carolina Pale Ale
Dos Equis
Heineken
Sam Adams
Sierra Neveda
Bud
Bud Light
Yeungling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 10:57 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times
Mission Valley Theater near NCSU and The Six Forks Station Cinema on Forum Drive in N. Raleigh have been serving beer/wine for a while now, and they are both first-run theaters. It's nice to see it spread to other establishments. The Raleigh Grande is no longer under the "Consolidated Theater" umbrella, which may be the reason for many of the changes.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:11 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,087 times
IMO this is one of those things that sounds great on the surface but usually is a sign of a place/area on the decline. Hope I'm wrong, but this was my experience seeing this elsewhere. Those places just don't tend to exactly draw in society's elite.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:49 AM

260 posts, read 545,426 times
I read an article yesterday that this is a new thing going around the country to attract "older" viewers... meaning those not in the teen group. I, personally, don't really care about having beer at the movies. It's the only way I can get my husband to go, though. I'll definitely have to consider this for our next movie outing. I don't always feel like having food when he agrees to go to the movies with us. (as in going to Raleighwood)

Thanks for posting this!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
So-o-o, next will be to make smoking in theaters legal for the drinkers?

Old 01-03-2010, 07:24 AM

365 posts, read 1,208,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
IMO this is one of those things that sounds great on the surface but usually is a sign of a place/area on the decline. Hope I'm wrong, but this was my experience seeing this elsewhere. Those places just don't tend to exactly draw in society's elite.
This makes no sense. Following this logic, Five Points in Raleigh and Weaver Dairy area in Chapel Hill are on the decline.

It's a great way to repurpose/rebrand a theater - and I love their local selection!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:41 AM

76 posts, read 176,196 times
I think this has been common practice in other places for a long time. I just spent over two years in New Zealand where it is common for movie theaters to serve wine (as well as ice cream cones....and coffee in real cups!). I never saw anyone get up to get seconds, so I don't think over-indulging is an issue.

I think it is great that movie theaters here are expanding their refreshment offerings to try to bring in more customers to stay in business. I agree that this is aimed at attracting older viewers.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:41 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,087 times
Again: I am just telling you what I've seen elsewhere. And frankly from what I've seen of Raleighwood (or whatever it's called off of Falls of Neuse), that place in fact is on its way. And again, hope I'm wrong. Just my experience and impressions.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:47 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post

Galaxy Cary?? carolina theatre?? The independents are strong and you can get a PBR for 2 dollars.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:01 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,908 times
They have been doing this for quite a while now actually. I believe at least a year.

Prices are really no that bad for the beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary