Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:52 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times

Advertisements

I drove to work this morning on I40 from Gorman exit to RTP. Not only was there no snow or ice, but the roads were mostly dry. And this was at 7am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 08:05 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
So what about the kids on the other side of the county where there
was ice?? Don't they count??

lol thanks for the chuckle

Old 01-08-2010, 08:06 AM

544 posts, read 852,491 times
People love to complain. If school is delayed and there is no snow or ice, they complain that it was an over-reaction. (as if anyone controls the weather) If it DOES snow and school isn’t cancelled until the morning, they’ll complain about the late notice and how inconvenienced there were.

What do you suppose the reaction would be if ONE inexperienced high school driver slid on a patch of ice and died in a crash?

In our current society of There-Must-Be-Someone-I-Can-Blame, its not surprising that school districts are very cautious.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:08 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,633 times
A "cry wolf" syndrome comes to mind. When the "big one" happens again some of us will have tuned them out by then. Just because ONE bad decision was made several years ago should not cause so many poor ones to follow.

Last edited by kwalk65; 01-08-2010 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 AM

311 posts, read 887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
ok,here we go.(last post mod,I promise)Because you saw a spot of ice is irrelevant,and in no way an indication of the roads.Nothing happened,last night,we woke up to bright sunshine.Shutting down schools and businesses is not a responsible thing to do,it is irresponsible,and weighs on the system.Is a;ll common sense lost,that people can't use their discretion?These panic knee jerk reactions help no one.I think the DOT should help free our roadways of litter,as ernestly as they prepare for a non event.
Were you here in January 2005? You'd totally understand the knee jerk reaction of pre-treating roads and delaying schools had you been stuck on MAJOR roadways for 5-10 hours. Many children were stuck at schools or on buses until late into the night due to a "light dusting" and bitterly cold temps. I was stuck on I-540 for almost 4 hours trying to get from RDU to Wake Forest (after leaving my downtown office at 5pm). A delay is much better than a cancellation.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,146 times
Maybe to put things in perspective a little. Since the first of the year, we have over 2 feet of snow, over 4 feet in some of the snow belts. Most of the schools were 2 hour delays on the worst day, a few were closed. Overnight and into this morning, we are looking at 7+ inches of new snow and its pretty much business as usual.
I retire within 2 years and I can hardly wait to make my new home in your beautiful state. I'll probably bring some pictures with me so I don't forget what snow looks like.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:20 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
I realize that the Wake Co's call seems ridiculous now, and at face value many might agree. But, give em a break! it's easy to criticize, but not so easy to make the call hrs before a "predicted" event.

How many of you who think it's silly, are new to the area? Being a non native it took me a while to understand the how's and why's of the delay's and closings.

I've lived here 35 yrs and can tell you they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. People will always moan about their decision. Remember, Wake County is an area of urban, suburban and very rural areas. Your road might be fine but there are some out in the country that are often not in good shape. These are the roads they especially have to consider when making the call hrs before an event. They can't take a chance on those roads being hazardous and your precious cargo getting hurt.

If you haven't been here long enough to get this, you will, once you've gone thru a few winters. The one thing that's predictable about our weather events here is that they are unpredictable! Here's a prime example from our 1/2 of "snow" (that froze) in '05. It took me from roughly 3pm to midnight, to get home from downtown Durham to Raleigh/Knightdale as traffic was gridlocked. Driving on a sheet of ice was no fun!
The Half Inch of Snow that Paralyzed Raleigh - RaleighSkyline.com – Original Photography from the City of Raleigh, North Carolina by Matt Robinson

Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitchell View Post
people love to complain. If school is delayed and there is no snow or ice, they complain that it was an over-reaction. (as if anyone controls the weather) if it does snow and school isn’t cancelled until the morning, they’ll complain about the late notice and how inconvenienced there were.

What do you suppose the reaction would be if one inexperienced high school driver slid on a patch of ice and died in a crash?

In our current society of there-must-be-someone-i-can-blame, its not surprising that school districts are very cautious.
bravo!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:32 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,633 times
My kids are in the Granville County school system. I received a call at 5:30 this morning saying they were delaying school due to the Northern part of the county ACTUALLY RECEIVING snow that was still on the ground. Good decision Granville!! I applaud them!!! As I understand from the news media that was the ONLY area that got the snow where it was cold enough to cause the ice, etc.

Now, why is it that all these other school systems had the delay broadcasted while weather experts were saying "it won't snow, etc"? That is what I don't get. The premature decision making is what keeps this area from making good solid decisions that make sense.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:40 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
What is so mind boggling??
Roads and parking lots were icy.
I witnessed it first hand.

Glad our kids were not on the roads.
Were do you live, because the temp. did not dip below 35 degrees by 7am in Raleigh?

It was actually close to 40 degrees around midnight (RDU airport). It has gotten much colder now, but the wind and sun have dried up any precip on the roads by now.

I just don't see how ice could have formed on the roads when the road temps were above freezing all night long. I am glad my sons daycare did not delay this morning. When looking at the weather early this morning at 5:30am I did not see anywhere in Wake County where the temp. was at or below freezing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary