Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 11:19 AM

372 posts, read 808,980 times

Advertisements

I am going to be in the Apex/Cary/Raleigh area in mid February for a conference and plan on spending a few extra days looking around at the region for possible relocation and was wondering what was in the area that you would recommend doing. I am going to be on somewhat of a shoe string budget but would like to take in the areas. what are your suggestions for things to do. To give you some info on me, I don't drink but do enjoy a nice cigar every now and again. Also I do like a good cup of coffee. I will be in the area for about 6 days.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by xraydude; 01-10-2010 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 12:38 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
What are you looking for?

Why are you thinking of relocation?

What type of area would you like to live? Suburban? Urban? Country? Townhouse? Single home? Apartments?

Where would you work?

Old 01-10-2010, 12:56 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
With the new smoking ban, I'm not sure of this but The Angus Barn (not cheap) has a "Wild Turkey Bar" that allows cigar smoking.

You may want to also check out Glenwood South (area of downtown that has more of a nightlife).

Crabtree Valley Mall is in Raleigh, Southpoint is in Durham, Triangle Towne Center is near Capital Blvd. and Cary Town Center in Cary are our area malls.

There are many lakes in the area. Walking trails are around.

I guess it depends if you are looking for things to do during the day or evening.

For coffee, there are many small shops, as well as StarBucks and Panara Bread.

Vicki

Old 01-10-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
What are you looking for?

Why are you thinking of relocation?

What type of area would you like to live? Suburban? Urban? Country? Townhouse? Single home? Apartments?

Where would you work?
What I am looking for is a nice 1-2 bdrm apt. that is clean quiet and safe. Budget around 600 mo. Would like something outside the city. The burbs would be good. I don't care if it is a town house or condo or part of a residential house. I would be looking for work in a hospital. commute time within 30-45 min as long as I don't have to take call, then I would have to be within 30 min. As for why I am looking to relocate, It is mainly health and comfort reasons. The real cold weather up here is getting to be too much for me and as my Doc has suggested, I am still young, early 40's, I should really consider moving to a warmer area and getting out of the northeast.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:34 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
This is a great article about Cary:
Cary: The charm of a fast-growing small town: A Sousa march, a milkshake and a sunset by the lake: Special Issues: Best of the Triangle

Lots of tips for cheap eats and local parks!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
thanks a bunch.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:12 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
What kind of stuff do you want to check out. Are you interested in seeing downtown Raleigh? If so, go get a cigar at Amra's on Glenwood Avenue one evening. Or you could check out the five Points area and get a cup of Coffee at Third Place (www.thirdplacecoffee.com - broken link). They sell Larry's Beans Coffee which is coffee roasted right here in Raleigh and very good. If you have some free time you could walk over to the Rialto and catch a movie.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:37 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Someone on City-Data once outlined a "route" that started in downtown and went down Glenwood Avenue and I don't know where else. It was devised to show a newcomer a little bit of what's what in the area.

Can anyone find it for xray dude?

Or maybe suggest similar or other routes?

Here is an article in the New York Times by a reporter who spent three days here and mentioned specifics. http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/06/14/travel/14hours.html
(BTW, the NC Museum of Art, the first stop on the NYC reporters list, has been closed for updating; it'll reopen this year, but I'm not sure when.)

"Outside the city" could mean Cary, North Raleigh, or Wake Forest. So you might want to focus on those areas.

There are hospitals all over, so I don't think you'd live more than 45 minutes away from any hospital in the Triangle if you lived in any of those places.

The main routes in the Triangle are 440, also called the Beltline, 540, called either the outer beline or outer loop, and I-40, which scares the heck out of me the way people drive on it (too fast!). Speed limits are: 440: 60 mph; 540: 65 mph; I-40: varies, but out toward RTP, I think it's 65, I think, but people drive much faster.

Search for my "Newcomers Guide to the Triangle" that I wrote a while ago on City-Data that lists local terms.

Perhaps saturnfan can tell you about his apartment complex and if it fits your budget. He enjoys the location and amenities.

You might want to get a map of the area and map out your route. Just driving around will help. Maybe after you've been here a few days, you might want to report back to City-Data with your additional questions.

You might find advice about apartments on other threads or maybe others can advise you now.

(In the Triangle, it's mostly a suburban type of life. We have nice parks, museums, and lakes and plenty of shopping and restaurants, but nothing that screams "MUST SEE!")

Good luck!

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 01-10-2010 at 06:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary