Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:45 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times

Advertisements

I got two tickets with the presale. Didn't want to shell out $130+ per ticket, so I got the $75 seats. (Plus the obscene Ticketmaster "convenience" fee, but that's another rant.) Still center section, orchestra, but near the back.

Then I heard just how much the stage show deviates from the book, and now I'm no longer so enthused about the show. I loved the book - just finished reading it a week or so ago. I also love musical theatre. I'm just very disappointed that they felt the need to change/omit major events crucial to the book's storyline.

In any case, I'll probably end up selling my tickets. I won't be looking to make any money on them - just what I paid for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
^^^^ hey, if I can follow Wicked, anyone can.

as to the accuracy to the book, the wife said it deviates a good bit but is still an enjoyable experience. she explained some of the stuff that happens in the book to me once........wow. just wow.

Mike
Mike, I highly recommend reading the book. I'm not even a fan of the fantasy genre, but I loved this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 11:32 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I haven't read the book but in general, most movies take some liberties with the book.

I've heard from many many people that have seen the show and raved about it. If I were you, I'd go and see for myself!

Vicki

Old 01-16-2010, 12:37 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I got two tickets for a weeknight. The cheapo $30 tickets. They are nosebleed seats, but I figure the DPAC isn't that big. From the website it looks like their really isn't a bad view in the house.

My wife will be thrilled.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:27 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
I got two tickets with the presale. Didn't want to shell out $130+ per ticket, so I got the $75 seats. (Plus the obscene Ticketmaster "convenience" fee, but that's another rant.) Still center section, orchestra, but near the back.

Then I heard just how much the stage show deviates from the book, and now I'm no longer so enthused about the show. I loved the book - just finished reading it a week or so ago. I also love musical theatre. I'm just very disappointed that they felt the need to change/omit major events crucial to the book's storyline.

In any case, I'll probably end up selling my tickets. I won't be looking to make any money on them - just what I paid for them.

Mike, I highly recommend reading the book. I'm not even a fan of the fantasy genre, but I loved this.
You are exactly the type of person I will be buying them from off Craigslist!

Old 01-16-2010, 02:01 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
We got our tickets as well We are going May 13th...can't wait! We have read the book as well...awesome! We will most likely read it again before May to make a comparison between the book and the play.... Have fun everyone!

Old 01-16-2010, 02:04 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I haven't read the book but in general, most movies take some liberties with the book.

I've heard from many many people that have seen the show and raved about it. If I were you, I'd go and see for myself!

Vicki
I do realize that the show is very popular. However, they didn't merely take some liberties. The plot is completely different from the book. (I've read the synopsis on Wikipedia.) While it sounds like it might be a fun production, I don't care at all for where they went with it, and would prefer not to see it.

If I hadn't read the book, I obviously wouldn't feel this way. I'm not upset, just no longer interested in seeing the stage show.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:50 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Vicki
I saw Wicked a few years back when a group of us from work went. We got discounted tickets. I had read the book and knew from my daughter who saw the original on Broadway that it was different. I even dragged the husband along. We ended up loving it. One of the best musicals I've seen. Although I will say Les Miserables is still my favorite. And like you was very disappointed in Cats. I would add the Lion King, Phantom and the original cast of Jesus Christ Superstar to make Les Miz and Wicked my top five!

I wish we could see it again but the budget says no.

Enjoy!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary