Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 PM

81 posts, read 213,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinidad16 View Post
Can anyone in the forums help?

I have been looking for work for over a year since graduating. I have been working in a part-role since, but every month, I dig deeper into my savings and have no alternative plan for when I run out(soon).

I recently received my MBA from NCSU and have a background in things such as Journalism, Marketing, Event Planning, Media Relations and Renewable Energy Marketing. Sending resumes out into the black hole of the internet no matter how qualified you are for a position has proven to be an enormous waste of time.

I prefer to work in a role promoting sustainability, however, the more time goes by the fewer my preferences seem to matter. I would welcome any role with potential for advancement. Salary requirements are virtually nonexistent(hate to admit that) because anything above $30k would be an improvement.

Does anyone know of any positions that I may be interested in?
You mention an interest in sustainability. Can you be more specific? I am aware of some industries in the area considering establishing positions in the area of sustainability. However, if you are interested in sustainability in the areas of the environment, or any area that may be technical or science based, it will help if you do have some technical or science background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 08:02 PM

170 posts, read 774,069 times
This is scary to hear that someone with an MBA coupled with the experience you listed cannot find a job with a salary that commensurates with your experience. While I dont have an MBA I do feel I can add my little two cents. If at all possible perhaps you should relocate. I did some research and according to this website Why Do People Relocate? it states ".....if the area job market in your field is limited, relocating to a new area may give your a more optimistic outlook." While Raleigh, NC may not be willing to pay you what your worth, I'm most sure someone in another State would be more than happy to give you a salary based on your degree and experience that you possess.

Just my two cents. Hope you can take my two cents and somehow make a dollar out of it (smile).

Old 01-22-2010, 08:28 AM

211 posts, read 613,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I have an MBA and I'm afraid that degree isn't worth as much as it used to be. I have no regrets about getting one, but it hasn't helped my job search.
While I don't necessarily disagree with your statement, I was just wondering why you think that.

Normally a degree is not worth as much as more and more people achieve it, but at the same time, there is normally a designation higher that becomes more valuable. A bachelors in political science gets you very little these days because there is a higher degree, a masters. A masters degree in political science is not as valuable while people can matriculate a PhD. With business I think it is different. There is not really a higher designation than an MBA. An MBA is a "general business" pinnacle. Sure you can get a PhD in economics, but for general business knowledge, an MBA is tops.

(Trying to convince myself as my MBA program starts in March. )

Old 01-22-2010, 09:07 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
There are people who get jobs because they have MBA's but they typically went to ivy-league schools and did well in their classes.

For folks getting a generic MBA (ie not one from Harvard, etc.) I doubt having an MBA really means much if you don't have a solid resume of work experience (this thread is a great example of that).

Plus, it really pigeon holes you for jobs, my wife is going thru resumes now and everyone with an advanced degree who is applying is getting deleted. They are simply over qualified.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:18 AM

149 posts, read 431,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
There are people who get jobs because they have MBA's but they typically went to ivy-league schools and did well in their classes.

For folks getting a generic MBA (ie not one from Harvard, etc.) I doubt having an MBA really means much if you don't have a solid resume of work experience (this thread is a great example of that).

Plus, it really pigeon holes you for jobs, my wife is going thru resumes now and everyone with an advanced degree who is applying is getting deleted. They are simply over qualified.
I guess I have a "generic" MBA then. This "generic" MBA allowed me to double my pre-B School salary upon graduation. In the 3.5 years since, my base salary has grown another 40%. I hypothesize such gains would have been very difficult without the MBA. OP please don't let the naysayers get you down. My classmates and I benefited in incredible ways both intellectually and financially from our program. You will find work.

UNC BS & MBA

Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckdisc View Post
I guess I have a "generic" MBA then. This "generic" MBA allowed me to double my pre-B School salary upon graduation. In the 3.5 years since, my base salary has grown another 40%. I hypothesize such gains would have been very difficult without the MBA. OP please don't let the naysayers get you down. My classmates and I benefited in incredible ways both intellectually and financially from our program. You will find work.

UNC BS & MBA
Read my post again. I never said it was worthless.

People getting an MBA right out of college with practically no work experience makes it not worth the paper it's written on.

Peace out.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:14 AM

133 posts, read 626,750 times
What role have you been working in part-time? While a degree is necessary for the field you are most interested, experience is also required. You will have the most luck getting a job that matches your background experience. But that does not mean hope is not lost.

Indeed.com and Simplyhired.com allow you to set up agents that will notify you daily or weekly of jobs that might interest you. Monster, CareerBuilder, etc also let you set up agents.

As you have noticed, firing off your resume is a small piece of the puzzle. Read the requirements of each job you apply for and write a cover letter for each one addressing how you meet each of the qualifications. It will take time but you will stand out. Companies often have screeners that weed through the hundreds of resumes received each day, by doing this you just did their job for them and increase your odds of making it to the next step whatever that is.

Keep track of where you send your resume and follow up. Call several days later and make sure they got your information. Ask what the next steps are. If you are fortunate enough that a recruiter does come across a position that might interest you, you will need to be able to tell him/her exactly where you have applied.

Finally, make sure your resume is written well. Get someone else to proofread it. Make sure you clearly list each company you have worked for AND include the value you added to that company. Give specific examples of how you saved or earned each company money or improved their bottom line. You want your resume to show the value YOU add to a company - it is about what you can do for THEM not what they can do for you.

I'm sure you know most of this and I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but if you have been looking for over a year with no success then something is wrong. What I listed above are the most common errors candidates make during a job search, I hope it is helpful.

Best of luck.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 AM

406 posts, read 787,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmama View Post
if you have been looking for over a year with no success then something is wrong. .
What is wrong is this is the worst job market in a couple of generations.

People not currently looking for work have no idea.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:48 AM

473 posts, read 1,517,286 times
I have a recent MPA plus 25+ years of experience, and no - it's not worth much. I believe since the economy is so very bad, employers are leery of hiring those with higher degrees because they feel that they would have to pay a "corresponding" salary. Not me! I'd love a job paying just $40,000 - enough to pay my bills and start paying my student loans. Believe me, I'm ready, willing, able, LinkedIn, etc.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:50 AM

133 posts, read 626,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
What is wrong is this is the worst job market in a couple of generations.

People not currently looking for work have no idea.
Yes, it is. As an Executive Recruiter I have a very good understanding of the market and what candidates are facing. That is why I made specific suggestions on how to make one stand apart from the pack. A year of experiencing the black hole is horribly frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary