Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:11 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times

Advertisements

Fortune Magazine states that SAS is ranked the best employer to work for in the country, up from number 20 last year

Employees at SAS certainly feel kneaded. Every week, several dozen of them get massages at the on-site 66,000-square-foot recreation and fitness center.You have to pay, but it's only $55 for an hour, and that's with pretax dollars. And the convenience is priceless: right up the stairs from the gymnasium, weight room, billiards hall, sauna, hair salon, manicurist, and aqua kickboxing in the Olympic-size pool. (Posted etiquette rules: "A bathing suit is required" and "No cellphones in class.")
There's classic massage, Swedish massage, orthopedic massage, and myofascial release -- all designed to make workers "more aware of their bodies, move with greater ease and freedom," and "have increased energy, reduced feelings of pain, and feelings of relaxation and well-being."
Though companies in Silicon Valley get lots of press about perk-friendly workplaces, it's here in the less go-go South that employees reign supreme. SAS is not only the world's largest privately held software business -- with revenues of $2.3 billion, it's about the size of publicly traded Intuit -- but also the paragon of perks

best-companies-to-work-for: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/108625/best-companies-to-work-for?mod=career-worklife_balance - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 03:16 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,814 times
Thank God my lovely wife works there. It allows me to spend a little extra time at my job perusing the CD threads!

I'm a lucky guy!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:49 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,934 times
but i hear their salary pay is on the lower side to compensate for these benefits....can anyone confirm?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:01 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
Fortune Magazine states that SAS is ranked the best employer to work for in the country, up from number 20 last year
not for me! i don't know anything about making software, so i think it would pretty terrible to work there. so much pressure and negative feedback...

Old 01-21-2010, 05:18 PM

111 posts, read 188,580 times
They send you the link in email and remind you to cast your vote! Although i am sure it is a nice place to work, you have to take that with a grain of salt.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:27 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,645,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
but i hear their salary pay is on the lower side to compensate for these benefits....can anyone confirm?
Depending on what you do, yes. My boyfriend works there and he is making a bit less than he has made elsewhere. Sometimes it depends on job function. But it sort of seems like one of those crazy financial balancing acts. SAS employees and spouses gets affordable and good quality health insurance, there is a fully equipped fitness center onsite (including free personal training, classes, massage, etc.). There are many discounted services offered onsite by local businesses, such a hair salon, jewelry repair, etc. Another perk is that "domestic partners" can utilize many of the services and be included on health insurance as well, you don't have to be married as long as you are living together in a committed relationship. Not a benefit you see at most companies.

Put it this way, there are a lot of benefits that you wouldn't be getting at most other companies. Instead, you'd be paying market prices for the same services out in the marketplace, which adds up. For some people, a better quality of life is much more important than a slightly higher number on their paycheck.

It seems to be a great place to work, the people I know who work there are enthusiastic and don't complain about their jobs. Most everyone else I know (including me) does some real complaining from time to time!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
They are a great company to work for, and no shortage of people wanting to work there. When was the last time they had to lay people off? Never? Some clear benefits to working for a company that does not have to answer to stockholders.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
They were #1 for several years in a row awhile back; I didn't realize they had dropped as "low" as #20. But yeah, magazine polls are not known for being scientific in validity, and it's no surprise that SAS is somewhere people like working.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:40 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
I worked there for three years. I quit.

When I was there, it was like working in a large high school where no one ever graduated, and relationships were somewhat incestuous -- at all levels. And I mean all. Employees married. Then divorced -- and neither one would leave the company. Then they married other employees. Etcetera.

Gay couples/individuals were more open than anywhere I'd ever worked before. That was eye-opening -- and a good thing.

You could be "free" to be yourself, and it was allowed. One man always wore denim skirts (not kilts). Another programmer started work at 4 am and left 7.5 hours later.

Generally, it was an interesting place to work. I enjoyed the (free) weekly M&M's delivered to the kitchens and the artichoke casserole in the cafeteria. The pianist in the cafeteria played all the songs my mother played when I was growing up, so that was a weirdly comforting experience.

Somebody (not a SAS corporate person) should write a book about the company, warts and all. It would be an interesting book.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:08 AM

170 posts, read 774,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
One man always wore denim skirts (not kilts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary