Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:48 PM

9 posts, read 12,036 times

Advertisements

Hi Forum members. This is my first post. I hope "y'all" are enjoying the snow.

I will be moving from Florida with my husband. He is being relocated.

I have done as much research as I can. I would like opinions as to where to settle.

My husband's job is in RTP. Therefore, we are considering Raleigh or Cary. I prefer a brand new home; although I will consider one that is 3 years or younger.

We can spend between $350,000 to $500,000.

Land is not important. A small lot is preferred, as we do not like to spend the weekends doing yard work. 3 Bedrooms is fine, as long as we have a bonus room. 3 bedrooms, bonus room and office would be ideal. We could always use a living room as an office.

I'd really appreciate some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 02:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
You will have no problem with that price range in the Cary area. There are so many that would fit, you can be picky, if those are really your only criteria.

There are lots of "New Homes guides" published in magazine form in the area; I wonder if any are online? Search "Cary new homes", etc.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh/Cary bound View Post
Hi Forum members. This is my first post. I hope "y'all" are enjoying the snow.

I will be moving from Florida with my husband. He is being relocated.

I have done as much research as I can. I would like opinions as to where to settle.

My husband's job is in RTP. Therefore, we are considering Raleigh or Cary. I prefer a brand new home; although I will consider one that is 3 years or younger.

We can spend between $350,000 to $500,000.

Land is not important. A small lot is preferred, as we do not like to spend the weekends doing yard work. 3 Bedrooms is fine, as long as we have a bonus room. 3 bedrooms, bonus room and office would be ideal. We could always use a living room as an office.

I'd really appreciate some help.
Are you looking for any neighborhood ammenities like a pool, tennis courts, walking trails ect? What type of things do you want to live close to. For example I know some people who don;t want to live anywhere that is more than a 10 minute drive from Whole Foods. Providing some details like this may help narrow things down as I think there are many options that would fit your initial criteria. Good Luck!

Old 01-30-2010, 02:24 PM

Thank you both for such fast replies.

Pool, etc. would be nice but we could always join the YMCA, if the neighborhood does not have them.

I have been told that Cary or the area of North Raleigh would be best for location if my husband is working at RTP. Other than that, I am just lost as to which neighborhood would be best for us. There are so many choices.

I have gone back to research some of the previous posts about relocation to the area.

It seems that we have too many choices if we just base it on price range. We have both been to the area. I really like the Raleigh area a bit more than the Cary area that is close to the airport.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:16 PM

I don't like the area around the airport. I see that it is an extension of Cary but that is not the area that I'd like to live in.

Does anyone know of neighborhoods in North Raleigh or Apex that would fit my criteria?

Old 01-30-2010, 06:17 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Are schools a consideration?

Old 01-30-2010, 06:43 PM

Currently, we have a baby so schools are not a consideration, at this time.

However, we have to consider schools for resale. That is another reason why we wanted to be in the Cary or Apex or North Raleigh areas.

What neighborhoods can you recommend?

Old 01-31-2010, 11:11 AM

Can anyone suggest neighborhoods in the area of North Raleigh that would be newer?

How long would a commute from Wake Forest to RTP be?

Old 01-31-2010, 12:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
OK, be aware that RDU (the airport) is very close to RTP (practically within it), so trying to get simultaneously "close to RTP" and "not near the airport" is going to be difficult, unless you look at the other side of RTP, i.e. Durham. Throwing "a new neighborhood" into the mix makes it even worse, because of course, the sprawl develops outward from the city (Raleigh) and thus the newer the neighborhood, the closer to RTP and RDU.

You may wish to just eliminate anywhere that is within X distance from the airport--but you would also be eliminating many, many of the newest neighborhoods here that are close to RTP (again, since that's precisely where most of the newer neighborhoods are).

In other words, you'll need to figure out which is ultimately the most important, which may contradict one of your "next most important" criteria.

OTOH, I would strongly suggest looking at the newer neighborhoods in Durham (near Southpoint), since they are convenient to RTP but on the other side from the airport.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 AM

29 posts, read 64,531 times
I think you will be surprised how much house you can buy in Raleigh or Cary for what you plan to spend. Our daughter and her husband just moved into a new house in Cary/Morrisville that has everything you mention - close to RTP, little yard work, lively community facilities and good neighbors, etc. - and comfortably within your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary