Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:52 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times

Advertisements

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Perhaps not if you are in the healthcare field.

But yes, it is very difficult to find a job here -- for new people, for current residents, for people young and old, professional and hourly, for highly educated and uneducated, for hard workers, for slackers, for full-timers and part-timers -- for everyone.

People still seem to believe very old Money magazine articles saying it is one of the "best places to live" and newer ridiculous articles stating it is one of the "best places to ride out the recession." Don't believe it. Of course, we all hope it gets better, but no one can predict the future, and right now, it is difficult to find a job.

Spend some time reading this forum, and you will know it's been like this for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsole View Post
I am moving to Raleigh due to my school and my husband being in the National Guard.

Is it really hard to find a job there then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,148 times
The only way my wife and I are able to maintain a reasonably comfortable life here for our family is the fact that my income comes almost entirely from clients, including former employers, who are based elsewhere. If that work were to dry up and I wasn't able to secure new business, we'd be packing our bags and moving, most likely overseas. I would not even attempt a job search in this area.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:16 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
North Carolina Economy at a Glance

Raleigh-Cary, NC Economy at a Glance

Durham-Chapel Hill, NC Economy at a Glance

Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 31,418 times
Funny that, I am NC born native but moved to MD to get a job. Once the contract ended I found it hard to find any employment in the DC/NVA/MD area and had to move back in summer 2008. So far, I haven't found anything here either. I have a Masters Degree but am only working part time in food service. My background is in the Arts so I may never find a job in my field again.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,585,622 times
"This is America find the job and become the person who does it"

Old 02-04-2010, 06:47 AM

120 posts, read 498,494 times
I moved from Buffalo and my opportunity here is far beyond what Buffalo EVER could have given me. In Buffalo, I graduated from a good school, had about 10 internships and jobs including some full time ones and I got a job in Buffalo out of 1,500 applicants for a job paying $10 an hour with no benefits. It was insane- I couldn't get a job to save my life. I moved down here, got a job after some hard searching, I make good money, have good health insurance, a house, a car- I can even afford to eat! Everything I could never have in Buffalo. You also have to do things that you think are below you even if you have a college degree, like wait tables or rent apartments in an apartment complex. I sucked it up and did it because it was better than nothing and my current employer saw that and respected it.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,160,026 times
it's bad everywhere. i'd hate to deal with the expense of moving, plus the hassle of trying to get familiar with a new area, while trying to find a job in this economy. i guess it depends on your field, but if you look at unemployment numbers, this area is around average. it's not like north dakota is the place to be, just because of their low numbers. are there that many other, similar areas to the triangle that are much better for jobs?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:27 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times
My wife and I are from northern VA and we moved down here in the summer of 2006. We've actually done quite well for ourselves (her much better than me). Problem is she works for GSK and they have had layoffs every year for the last 3 years. She's been safe so far, but has a real chance of being let go this time. I actually have a chance (albeit much smaller) of getting laid off as well.

We've discussed it and if she gets laid off, or heaven forbid both of us, we would probably look really hard into moving back to northern VA. I see many more jobs up there in my field and she would also have many more opportunities on the MD side of the Potomac. Plus we would be back close to family.

At least we have a good stash of cash in an emergency fund, no revolving debt, and about $60-$70k in equity in our house (hopefully we could sell it within a few months). I like it here, but wouldn't mind moving back "home". The only issue would be, if we make the same money up there as we make here ( a good possibility), then our lifestyle would take a hit. Our mortgage here wouldn't be enough to rent an apartment up there. We would just have to cut back on retirement savings and non-essential expenses.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I can't see us staying here if she gets laid off, or if we both do. We shall see...

Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 AM

335 posts, read 801,260 times
Waterboy, just a quick question: Why do you think your salary would remain the same if you moved to the DC area? Is it the specific industry you work in?

I'm looking at getting at least $10,000 more for doing the same work up there as I'm doing down here. And maybe even up to $20,000 from what I've seen in some job postings. My husband would definitely take a massive pay cut if he left his VA-based company to do the same job down here. So I'm just curious about your rationale.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:52 AM

995 posts, read 2,728,589 times
Thank you to the OP for this post. I have a friend who was able to get a transfer from NYC to Raleigh. Her and her husband are doing ok and were trying to convince my wife and me to move down. However, after doing some researching, tech jobs are nearly impossible to find and the housing market is nearly identically to what I pay in a county north of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary