Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:52 PM

275 posts, read 1,115,392 times

Advertisements

BTW...thanks for all your suggestions! Can't wait to try them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 12:57 PM

146 posts, read 691,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
have you tried salsa fresh? I don't think there is one in cary, but there are a couple in north raleigh.........
Never been there, so I can't vouch for it - but there is one on the Morrisville/Cary border at the corner of Morrisville Carpenter Rd and Davis Dr.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:45 PM

5,746 posts, read 17,619,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhalc View Post
When I say authentic, I mean So Cal, 50% hispanic population authentic. The hole in the wall places are usually the best. Creamy refried beans, tangy rice that doesn't like rice a roni, crispy fresh fried chips...heavy on the cilantro. The salad with peppery ranch dressing. Good cheese and lots of it...and a decent Salsa Fresca. No ground beef, marinated grilled steak. A chicken enchilada that isn't buried under 3 inches of sour cream...whats up with that around here...just the red sauce & cheese please.
We moved here from TX about a year ago. Since my wife was born and raised in TX, her favorite food is TexMex. We started looking for Mex, or TexMex, or anything resembling it as soon as we arrived.

In my opinion, there are a few "tiers" of Mexican food.

1. Fast Food Mexican: This would be Taco Bueno or Taco Bell-type places.
2. Counter Service Mexican: This would be Salsa Fresh, Moes, Chipotle, Quedoba, and all of those other burrito places.
3. Pre-Made Sit Down Mexican: Los Tres Magueyes, et al. These are restaurants that have a waitstaff and serve Mexican food, but the food is all pre-made and tastes like it came out of a jar, can, or plastic wrap. If you go to any of them, you'll notice that everything tastes the same or has the same consistency.
4. Home-made Sit Down Mexican: Ahhh.. The holy grail. The salsa is chunky and you can see the cilantro and jalapeno. The chips are still a little greasy and are thin and crispy. There is a tortilla oven in the corner plopping out nice hot floury tortillas, the meat tastes like it was cooked in lard, the margaritas are made with real lime juice, etc etc.

I've found #1-#3 here, but not #4

But, in all fairness, there are still a few restaurants on my list (including ones mentioned in this thread) that we have not tried yet.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:49 PM

95 posts, read 101,561 times
Quote:
When I say authentic, I mean So Cal, 50% hispanic population authentic.
SoCal? You're talking about the BIRTHPLACE of Taco-Freakin'-Bell!

Texas, Arizona and NM have many more "authentic" Mexican and Mexican derived cuisines than SoCal.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:01 PM

Whatever Linus, so then give me authentic Arizona mexican food! Have you ever eaten So Cal mexican..or AZ or TX for that matter..I have.

Anyway, NewUser...thats what I'm talkin about...cooked in lard. Sorry to hear you haven't found a place either. All we have found is the premade stuff.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:05 PM

95 posts, read 101,561 times
Quote:
Have you ever eaten So Cal mexican..or AZ or TX for that matter..I have.
Yes to all. My favorite style is New Mexican. I dig those Hatch chiles.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:09 PM

4,480 posts, read 11,631,196 times
I haven't tried it yet, but Tacos Mexico in Apex got a good writeup in the N&O a while back -

newsobserver.com | Tacos Mexico is the real deal (http://www.newsobserver.com/1132/story/430793.html - broken link)

I have to warn you though - it's nothing to look at from the outside.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:14 PM

My husband checked out Tacos Mexico on advice of a neighbor...he said the steak in the soft tacos had alot of fat & was tough..I still haven't tried it tho, so might give it another shot...thanks.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:17 PM

4,480 posts, read 11,631,196 times
Yeah, it seems like the experience can be mixed based on what people said on the Apex forums. Sauces are homemade at least, including salsa. I have to be honest and say I haven't gone because it looks a little scary from the outside. Maybe I'll go there this weekend since I have family coming to visit - safety in numbers!

Old 05-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Linus, I had one amazing breakfast in NM with a green salsa or sauce that they poured over everything...seemed like an NM thing since I had never had it before...its was the best! Like a chow-chow thing...but different. Can't remember the name of it tho..do you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary