Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 AM

406 posts, read 788,153 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else given up hope on the local job market?

I have decided to seriously expand my job search to out of State.(just not getting any results here)
I have a B.S. and 15 years of Sales management/ marketing experience
anyone else? Where are you considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 AM

335 posts, read 801,479 times
Once our house sells (which is a whole 'nother rant) I'll start looking for work in the DC area, but my situation really doesn't apply to your OP. My neighbor on the other hand is in exactly your boat. He's been out of work for well over a year and is now looking for a job out of state as well. Other than him I don't know anyone else in this area who's given up hope, but I do know a lot of people from Down East who are in a terrible situation. A lot of jobs there have vanished completely, never to return.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:00 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,465,841 times
These folks are hiring sales

Medfusion, Medfusion Careers, enhanced communications solutions, medfusion, medical software employment, software company Raleigh, medical software company raleigh nc (http://www.medfusion.net/medfusion_careers.html - broken link)

Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 AM

792 posts, read 4,490,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownEastB View Post
A lot of jobs there have vanished completely, never to return.
A lot of jobs *everywhere* have vanished completely, never to return. I have several friends out of work, some for more than a year, but I don't know anyone who is seriously considering leaving the area. In fact I am hearing stories about the local job market picking up a little bit, several interviews and 1 friend just landed a contract job. I feel bad for everyone in that situation and really hope for the best for everyone looking for a job.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:07 AM

396 posts, read 1,105,797 times
We gave up hope before the financial crisis...and moved to the DC area. It's not where I want to live, but does have fairly good jobs.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:26 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,152,226 times
We gave up when my husband had been out of work 11 months, even though I'm an NC native and hadn't planned to ever move away again. We're in the Baltimore area now. His job is definitely better, and my job prospects are better.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:16 PM

673 posts, read 2,267,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
We gave up when my husband had been out of work 11 months, even though I'm an NC native and hadn't planned to ever move away again. We're in the Baltimore area now. His job is definitely better, and my job prospects are better.
Hey J_Lurk!

I had no idea you left the area, and I am sorry to hear your hubby was out of work for so long. I am glad that he has a job and that your prospects are better. Good luck to the both of you!

Old 02-03-2010, 06:34 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,102,859 times
I moved down here years ago because my long-term contract back home ended; so I know what it means to have that very real fear that if you don't take action, the possibility exists that you'll be downtown carrying all your possessions in bags and a shopping cart, regardless of your education or previous prosperity.

A bigger city would probably provide more opportunities, but I don't want to live in a bigger city, and my dear Southern husband would never leave. So I've gone back to school to learn more software programs, and I'm also working on my multiple entrepreneurial ideas.

If I was in a position to move, I probably would. But I wouldn't want to.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:43 PM

17 posts, read 51,449 times
I am moving to Raleigh due to my school and my husband being in the National Guard.

Is it really hard to find a job there then?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:52 PM

43,323 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsole View Post
I am moving to Raleigh due to my school and my husband being in the National Guard.

Is it really hard to find a job there then?
Lindsay,
The Raleigh area has been hard hit.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics says we have had less job loss than much of the country, but Information Technology has taken a harsh blow locally.

You mentioned going to Nash CC for, I think, Physical Therapy or Occupational Therapy Assistant?
That is far removed from IT.

But, generally, employment openings are competitively sought, to be sure.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 02-03-2010 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary