Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:36 PM

8 posts, read 22,594 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to be able to read all the posts on this forum. My husband and I are looking to relocate from Indianapolis to North Carolina. I seem to be wanting the opposite of most of the posts here. We are looking for at least 5+ wooded and pasture acres to build on (mini farm) and the main concern is my husband's commute to downtown Raleigh. We would like to keep it under 45 min Is that possible? We are not looking to be close to stores or schools (we homeschool and most of the shopping I do is yard sales or online). We are very familiar with Southern culture, and would prefer a more authentic southern experience. We love Indiana but the type of land we are looking for does not exist here. We want to be in North Carolina for the sake of the beautiful land as housing costs are about the same. Anyone who would be so kind as to give me their imput, I will be very grateful. Thanks to anyone in advance who might respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 01:45 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,671,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyandhank View Post
Hello everyone. I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to be able to read all the posts on this forum. My husband and I are looking to relocate from Indianapolis to North Carolina. I seem to be wanting the opposite of most of the posts here. We are looking for at least 5+ wooded and pasture acres to build on (mini farm) and the main concern is my husband's commute to downtown Raleigh. We would like to keep it under 45 min Is that possible? We are not looking to be close to stores or schools (we homeschool and most of the shopping I do is yard sales or online). We are very familiar with Southern culture, and would prefer a more authentic southern experience. We love Indiana but the type of land we are looking for does not exist here. We want to be in North Carolina for the sake of the beautiful land as housing costs are about the same. Anyone who would be so kind as to give me their imput, I will be very grateful. Thanks to anyone in advance who might respond.
What is your price range? You could find it, but it won't be cheap.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:55 PM

579 posts, read 2,864,187 times
Try Angier, Lillington, Louisburg, Franklinton, Creedmoor, or Fuquay.

I think I saw a house today online in lillington that was on 11 acres and was 100K something... Moderator cut: MLS#

Old 04-26-2007, 01:56 PM

Wow Desdemona123, I have read so many threads with you in it, I am very happy you have responded. We are looking to pay 7-10,000 an acre. We have seen this price range while viewing land on the real estate websites. I hope they are nice pieces of land with trees and hills. Am I naive or is this possible? Thank you.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:00 PM

Thank you Raccemup. What do you think would be the quickest commute? I have looked at maps, and I guess it would depend on all the factors involved on that commute.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:17 PM

579 posts, read 2,864,187 times
To downtown Raleigh from Lillington, definitely 40-45 minutes. I'm in FV and we are 20 minutes from dt Raleigh to the north and just under 15 minutes to Lillington to the south. I happen to think Lillington is a really cute, small southern town and has lots of rural areas. Angier has a lot of rural areas also and is a little closer to FV than lillington. It actually borders it, in fact it's kind of wedged between FV and lillington. You'd be able to be in FV from either of those places in about 10-15 minutes for shopping, restaurants, etc. Louisburg is going to be appx 30 miles to dt raleigh and will most likely be a 30-40 minute commute depending on where you are. Louisburg is also mostly rural with a really pretty historic downtown area in town. You may want to try zebulon as well. That is probably the closest to dt raleigh of all of the those. I'd guess no more than a 20-30 minute commute. There is also Franklinton which is a little closer than Lousbug but I'm not sure of the prices there. Also, try Clayton although there is a lot of growth there now so land may be coming scarce in the next few years. That would be about 30-35 minutes to DT Raleigh also depending traffice. Clayton is also a small town (with the nicest dt historic section, I think) with lots of charm and rural areas. Also, there is a town right next to Clayton called Wilson's Mill and I think that is pretty much all rural and my guess is that is about 40-45 minutes tops to DT. If you can go up to 45 minutes for the commute, you pretty much have your pick of the litter of all the smaller "satellite" towns that are still more rural and have more land. I may be missing a few but I'm sure someone else will chime in if so.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:28 PM

577 posts, read 1,902,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyandhank View Post
Areas with farm land that has not yet been bulldozed is still around close to raleigh,,Try louisburg, Zebulon, wendell ,rolesville all north of the city south and east you have clayton, hollysprings smithfield Goldsboro area, west you have Moncure ,pittsboro lots of land still around.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:53 PM

401 posts, read 1,624,466 times
Also you could try Archers Lodge, which is N.E. of Clayton. Duncan might also be an option, which is S.W. of Fuquay-Varina(kind of between Fuquay and Holly Springs). As mentioned above Moncure and Pittsboro are nice areas too.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,293 times
Hello fellow Hoosiers - my wife and I are relocatng from just north of Indy - Kokomo.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:04 PM

Wow! I was born and raised in Kokomo. Are you leaving from working at Delphi? My brother is the only one in my family who still work there. He is an engineer. It seems like uncertain times there. My mom, my dad, all my aunts, uncles and even my grandmother retired from Delco (Delphi). I havent lived in Kokomo since I graduated high school. Thanks for your reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary