Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 11:05 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We are going to do some serious cleaning of closets, garage, attic of stuff not looked at in past 5 yrs - a 'pretend we are moving' total cleanup to de-junk our house.

Two questions

First,
Who can I call to come pick up things that are good and can be donated?

Second,
Has anyone rented a dumpster locally here in the Raleigh Durham area so we can get rid of bits/pieces of non-donatable stuff?

If so, any company recommendations? Has anyone ever used NCDumpster?

NC Dumpster Home

along with that, any idea what size dumpster we would need for 2 car garage and attic cleanup? I am thinking 15 yard...

any thoughts here?

thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 02:43 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Try the wake county freecycle group for donating items.

It is a very large group spread over wake county. I've gotten rid of anything that can be donated by using that group. It's free, it's easy and it's usually gone within a day or so of posting it. People will come and do a pick up from your home, or if you are uncomfortable with that you can arrange to meet them somewhere public.

The Freecycle Network - about the Wake County Group (http://www.freecycle.org/group/United_States/North_Carolina/Wake_County/ - broken link)

Old 02-28-2010, 07:01 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
I second freecycle. Used it when we moved a couple of years ago, and just this weekend I was walking through the house taking mental notes of the things I need to freecycle!

Be prepared to get MANY emails for one item. Sometimes it can be overwhelming, but make it as easy as you can for yourself.

Leigh

Old 03-01-2010, 05:20 AM

814 posts, read 2,007,444 times
Or N.C. Children's Promise (Benefits UNC Children's hospital) does pick up. << N.C. Children's Promise >> American Way Thrift Stores Partnership (http://www.ncchildrenspromise.org/thriftstore.shtml - broken link) I have had good luck with them. (Vietnam Vets does pick-up too, but they won't take everything...they leave stuff behind that they don't want....frustrating).

Old 03-01-2010, 06:10 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
thanks for the great suggestions. I appreciate it.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:24 AM
WDJ

286 posts, read 789,272 times
For dumpster rental, I rented a roll-off container from Durham County. It was $125 for a weekend or $85 a day for a 20-yarder. You might have to be resident of Durham County, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary