Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:29 AM

72 posts, read 283,364 times

Advertisements

I have a box full of old bills, bank statements, and other such paperwork with sensitive information on them that I would rather not toss in the garbage. I know a couple of news stations sponsor shred events periodically but I'm wondering if there is some place I can take these papers in the mean time to have them destroyed in a safe manner. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,118 times
The fireplace.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:29 AM

476 posts, read 1,676,641 times
Default SHRED IT! Pro Shred Community Schedule

I would not recommend burning, we did that in our firepit once long ago and ugh, what a mess with the smoke and flying paper ash... I suppose if you have a good screen to keep all the bits from floating about, but it will not be repeated by us - ever.

City of Raleigh had this information on their site:
Residents interested in shredding documents at other times of the year may wish to visit the North Carolina Attorney General's web page on identity theft at www.ncdoj.gov. At the site you can sign up to be sent email alerts for shredding events coming to your area. You may also send an email request directly to alerts@ncdoj.gov or outreach@ncdoj.gov and ask to be put on their list.

PRO SHRED of Raleigh offers community shreds (as well as individual and company shreds). Their site suggests that you should call them for a schedule of local events. There is a link, but nothing in or near our area on the schedule. They had one at Crossroads last weekend and it was not posted on the schedule so calling may be your best option.

Raleigh Document Shredding Service| Paper Shredding Company Raleigh NC| Document Destruction Services Raleigh North Carolina

There are likely other companies offering these services, but this is the one I am familiar with.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-06-2010, 10:52 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,174 times
just buy a shredder. you can get a crappy one for 20 bucks. or use it, then return it. ;-)
or... go to staples where they have some on display and just use one of them.

i like the grill method, personally. lighter fluid, pile of papers, fire it up and close the lid.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:36 PM

50 posts, read 111,939 times
If you can wait until next month, First Baptist Church (downtown Raleigh) is scheduled to have a community event for shredding documents on April 17th. To get further information or confirm please call (919) 832-4485.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:49 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,133 times
We love our own personal shredder, purchased at Staples. Bank statements, those stupid checks your cc co. sends you, actually ANY junk mail with identifiers, goes through the cross-cut shredder. Then we use the shreddings to package our eBay sales.

Everybody wins!

Old 03-06-2010, 03:54 PM

321 posts, read 880,248 times
Invest in a shredder for your home. It makes sense. You can get them pretty cheap too. I keep one next to the desk and anything that has our name, address or any bank numbers, account numbers, etc. goes right into the shredder.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,213 times
This place: Phoenix Resources Recycling, Secure Document Destruction and Full Service Office Recycling for the Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, RTP, Morrisville, Garner North Carolina Area.

I took about 4 boxes there just before I moved, and I think it cost about $10. I got the recommendation off another thread on this board.

I have a personal shredder, put it just won't do the job when you are getting rid of out-of-date records. I'd have been sitting at that thing for days.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:21 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,354 times
I shred all of mine...along with envelopes with my name/address on them.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:00 PM

27 posts, read 53,636 times
I also shred everything myself. Have for years. One word of advice if you decide to buy a shredder. I'm on my third shredder. The first cost ~$30. The second ~$50. The current one was ~$70 from Overstock.com. The last one is still working after about three years and seems to be holding up (knock on wood). The first two were both pains with having to constantly clear jams and things breaking. In my experience, the cheapest shredders, even from good brand names, are a waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary