Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:21 PM

120 posts, read 758,417 times

Advertisements

We're planning on buying in Durham and have been doing lots and lots of research online. I've picked several houses I'd like to see, but we're stretching as it is and paying an 3% of the purchase price to the agent is really going to hurt.

Where we come from, sellers typically pay the entire fee - half to the listing agent, half to the agent who brings the buyer. I've read the "working with" page at the NC real estate commission website and am now pretty confused.

I don't want to seem like a cad, but I've got to economize. I just want someone to show the houses to me and submit my offer to the buyer. I'll scour the MLS and do lots of other legwork on my own.

Okay, all you real estate professionals out there, what can I expect? I hope nobody's going to bite my head off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 06:30 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,037 times
You do not pay a buyers agent. The sellers pay their selling agent and then the commission comes out of the broker (sellers agent) commission to pay the buyers agent.

When sellers are selling a house, they usually have in mind how much all the commissions will cost them, but you do not pay directly.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:31 PM

123 posts, read 485,909 times
Heather, I could be wrong -I'm not an agent- but I am pretty sure that is typically the way it works here too. The seller pays both agents, unless it is a special situation such as FSBO. All I know is we just bought a house, my agent is getting paid, and it ain't me that's paying him!!

Best of luck!

Old 06-02-2007, 06:32 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathercp View Post
We're planning on buying in Durham and have been doing lots and lots of research online. I've picked several houses I'd like to see, but we're stretching as it is and paying an 3% of the purchase price to the agent is really going to hurt.

Where we come from, sellers typically pay the entire fee - half to the listing agent, half to the agent who brings the buyer. I've read the "working with" page at the NC real estate commission website and am now pretty confused.

I don't want to seem like a cad, but I've got to economize. I just want someone to show the houses to me and submit my offer to the buyer. I'll scour the MLS and do lots of other legwork on my own.

Okay, all you real estate professionals out there, what can I expect? I hope nobody's going to bite my head off.
Who told you that you had to pay the agent? I know we certainly didn't....and we expected more from our our agent then simply getting the keys and submitting an offer.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:39 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,463 times
The answers you've received so far are correct; You do not pay the real estate agent, unless you are referring to one where you are that is selling your house. When you are the purchaser, there's no realtor fees charged to you at closing.
You might be getting confused with the terms buyer's agent and the rest. those are technicalities of whose protecting your interests, not expecting to take your money.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:00 PM

120 posts, read 758,417 times
Wow! Guess I really was confused. It seems like homebuying is getting so complicated. When we bought this house, we just went to the bank, got a loan, met the cute old couple who sold us the house at the title company, signed some papers and were done. I don't remember there being all that many costs associated with the purchase other than the title company's fees and an appraisal. I forget who paid what actually, we just did whatever the title company said was customary. The couple we bought from were real nice folks.

Now I'm reading all kinds of posts about closing costs I'd never heard of before - and the thought of another 3% was starting to scare me. Thanks for clearing things up for me.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:01 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
Quote:

I would suggest you find a buyer's agent to show you the homes, the seller pays both agents (the one that listed the house and the one that brings the buyer). If you simply call the agent who has the house listed, then that agent is representing both of you, which is not the best benefit for either of you. A buyer's agent represents you exclusively, goes to bat for you, explains the real estate contract to you, helps with negotiating the contract, helps arrange the attorney for closing, etc

Anyhow, it is a good idea and you don't pay them anything!

Leigh

Old 06-02-2007, 07:09 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Wow! Guess I really was confused. It seems like homebuying is getting so complicated. When we bought this house, we just went to the bank, got a loan, met the cute old couple who sold us the house at the title company, signed some papers and were done. I don't remember there being all that many costs associated with the purchase other than the title company's fees and an appraisal. I forget who paid what actually, we just did whatever the title company said was customary. The couple we bought from were real nice folks.

Now I'm reading all kinds of posts about closing costs I'd never heard of before - and the thought of another 3% was starting to scare me. Thanks for clearing things up for me.
Heather,
Most common scenario:
The Listing Agent contracts with the homeowner to sell the house. In that contract the Homeowner agrees to pay the Listing Agent a certain amount of money, typically a percentage of the selling price.
In return, the Listing Agent contracts with the homeowner to offer to split his commission with a Buyer's Agent as compensation for to the Buyer's Agent for bringing the successful Buyer.

Your Buyer's Agent fee is not added into the transaction, UNLESS the split offered to a Buyer's agent is very low. In that case, you will likely have an agreement to pay your Buyer's Agent up to a certain amount if that amount is not offered by the Listing Agent.
Also, you can request your Buyer's Agent only to show you homes that offer to pay your agent adequately to avoid cash out of your pocket. The splits are all listed in the MLS. No need for surprises!

Good Luck!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:37 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
agent? ....and we expected more from our our agent then simply getting the keys and submitting an offer.
For sure, and especially true if you are moving from say an out of state location.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:43 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Find yourself a Realtor immediately! Gee, now I AM sounding like a broken record!

Your agent will help you find a lender. Between the lender and the agent, you'll know exactly what your closing costs will be and how much cash you need up front and the type of loan you can qualify for.

Then your agent will assist you in finding the home and negotiating the home and helping you get it inspected, etc., etc., etc.

You do not pay for buyer's agent. But you need one.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary