Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:40 AM

335 posts, read 801,151 times

Advertisements

My husband was sent down from Chantilly VA to Morrisville to open a new branch for his NoVA based company. 18 months later, HQ pulled the plug on the branch. He can't find a job with an NC employer that pays anything close to what he's making in VA. So we're having to move back to VA. Want to buy our house? =-)

I'll miss a lot of things down here like our quiet neighborhood and lighter traffic (my work commute is ideal and avoids the worst patterns) but I do miss some things in NoVA and am looking forward to having them again. There's just a lot more to do up there, especially for singles and couples with no kids. I don't think there's a huge difference in humidity between here and DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 789,272 times
I moved down here from Fairfax a little over a year ago, and I've liked it more down here so far. I don't plan on moving back to the DC area anytime soon. In terms of the summers, it feels pretty comparable to DC, and like someone else mentioned, I think it's a bit less humid, but then again, I lived further south for a while.

Pros: I could actually buy a decent house down here, a lot less traffic, still has a lot of activities to do, friendliness

Cons: Fewer restaurant choices, not being able to hit up the big city, no Wegmans/H-Mart

Old 03-26-2010, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,366 times
This is a great thread. I currently live in Alexandria, and I am contemplating a move to Raleigh-Durham area. I am looking forward to the possibility of being able to buy a house instead of living in a condo for the rest of my life. Less traffic sounds good too!

Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 PM

355 posts, read 958,206 times
One thing to keep in mind is that coming from DC to the Triangle the job market is much smaller by what feels like an order of magnitude. There just aren't the options for jobs as what you'll find around DC. From what I've seen and what many others have reported on these boards most jobs pay significantly less. I managed to keep my job with a DC firm, and my backup plan is another DC firm should I need to change. Failing that, only then would I begin to look for a job in the area.

The home prices can be a little misleading. If that's your main reason for looking at a move then you might be in for a surprise because: 1) as mentioned above, your earning potential will likely decrease in proportion with the home prices, and 2) the area really isn't that cheap. As we found, many of those big cheap homes you see on the realtor sites sit on moonscapes, next to train tracks, in the boonies, etc. Many of the more desirable neighborhoods can get pretty pricey.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:27 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,091,305 times
Default Caveat emptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
The home prices can be a little misleading. If that's your main reason for looking at a move then you might be in for a surprise because: 1) as mentioned above, your earning potential will likely decrease in proportion with the home prices, and 2) the area really isn't that cheap. As we found, many of those big cheap homes you see on the realtor sites sit on moonscapes, next to train tracks, in the boonies, etc. Many of the more desirable neighborhoods can get pretty pricey.
Thanks for making that point! Remember folks, if it seems too good to be true, it certainly is.

Raleigh is no longer that well kept a secret as many people are willing to pay a premium to live here and be close to the colleges and medical facilities. You may find some really inexpensive house somewhere but ultimately you’re gonna get what you pay for. Nobody’s giving anything away here in terms of real-estate or property.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:52 PM

243 posts, read 1,630,094 times
I currently live in Richmond, VA and I am very interested in Raleigh or Charlotte. How are the accounting and banking industries in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary