Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:32 PM

21 posts, read 60,316 times

Advertisements

My husband has suffered for years with pain in his left hip. He went to see an Ortho who told him that almost all the cartilage in his hip is practically gone. But, he was told the only treatment until age 50 would be a cortisone shot which may or may not work. So, he had the shot and he had some relief for maybe 6 weeks but now, the pain is worse than ever. We have a 2 year old and my husband is so depressed that he cannot run and jump and play with our son! I just hate to see him suffer!

Has anyone had experience with this issue who'd be willing to share? This particular Ortho told my husband that surgery was NOT an option until age 50 because it only lasts for 10 years. Other friends have told us that is not correct and he could successfully have the surgery now.

Any advice would be really appreciated! And, if anyone has a doctor recommendation, that would be helpful, too.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:38 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
I'm going to suggest that you post your first couple questions in the Health & Wellness, because you're likely to get a better response there to issues concerning the procedure, itself.

Hopefully someone in this forum will have a physician recommendation for you .....

Old 03-18-2010, 09:08 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,873,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel.girl6 View Post
My husband has suffered for years with pain in his left hip. He went to see an Ortho who told him that almost all the cartilage in his hip is practically gone. But, he was told the only treatment until age 50 would be a cortisone shot which may or may not work. So, he had the shot and he had some relief for maybe 6 weeks but now, the pain is worse than ever. We have a 2 year old and my husband is so depressed that he cannot run and jump and play with our son! I just hate to see him suffer!

Has anyone had experience with this issue who'd be willing to share? This particular Ortho told my husband that surgery was NOT an option until age 50 because it only lasts for 10 years. Other friends have told us that is not correct and he could successfully have the surgery now.

Any advice would be really appreciated! And, if anyone has a doctor recommendation, that would be helpful, too.
You could do a consult with Claude Moorman, III, at Duke, he's an awesome orth sports med doctor, professor and director of Sports Med at Duke. Claude T. Moorman III bio - Duke University Blue Devils | Official Athletics Site - GoDuke.com They have many wonderful docs in the dept. Duke Sports Medicine Center :: The Future of Medicine, Delivered Today

Old 03-18-2010, 09:20 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,117,585 times
Rather than hip replacement, maybe your husband and his doctor could consider hip resurfacing instead. My sister had this done 5 years ago, and has had no problems at all. It may be worth some research.

Smith & Nephew | Home (http://global.smith-nephew.com/us/patients/Homepage_11609.htm - broken link)

Hip Resurfacing News

Old 03-18-2010, 09:37 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,231,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
You could do a consult with Claude Moorman, III, at Duke, he's an awesome orth sports med doctor, professor and director of Sports Med at Duke. Claude T. Moorman III bio - Duke University Blue Devils | Official Athletics Site - GoDuke.com They have many wonderful docs in the dept. Duke Sports Medicine Center :: The Future of Medicine, Delivered Today
Dr Moorman is great but he doesn't do this type of surgery.

Dr Bolognesi or Dr Wellman at Duke would be the docs to see.

To the OP......

People absolutely have hip replacements or resurfacings done at 40 and younger....

Good luck

Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 PM

305 posts, read 768,317 times
I know someone who had the resurfacing also and it's worked out well for him. It was recommended to him because they said the replacement would not last his lifetime and he'd have to have it redone.

Can you get a second opinion? I'm sure another doctor could give better advice about your husband's specific situation than any of us can over the internet.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel.girl6 View Post

DM with info coming your way!

Old 03-19-2010, 03:34 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,426,738 times
A hip replacement at the age of 40 is a LAST resort. First of all, the hip is a "ball and socket" joint. Each time the surgery is performed, the acetabulum (socket) is literally reamed out to make a smooth surface for the new cup. Then the femoral head (ball) is actually removed and the center of the femur is then reamed to make an opening for the prosthesis. I mention these graphic details only to explain that with each surgery there is bone loss. If a hip is replaced 2-3 more times after the initial procedure, there is increased risk of fracture, leg length discrepancy etc etc. (I'm an NP and used to do orthopedics - I assisted in hundreds of hip replacements).

Old 03-19-2010, 10:08 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,933,225 times
Michael Bolognesi...Duke Joint Replacement

Have your husband get involved in a water walking routine. It may do him a world of good in the meantime

Old 03-19-2010, 11:18 AM

143 posts, read 385,519 times
Maybe Synvisc or another similar injection would help him with the pain. It helps to lubricate the joint and works much better/longer than cortisone. On a side note, I had it in my knees and it did provide relief. It's not perfect, but it has allowed me to hold off on joint replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary