Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
it's just i'm thinking of buying a place where I can actually see the cell tower out my window and I'm a little hesitant to put in an offer.
Here's my theory: It doesn't matter if it causes cancer - what matters is if some slice of the buying population thinks it might, because that means when it comes time to sell you're going to have a smaller pool of potential buyers and potentially less demand for your house (meaning it will take longer to sell and/or you'll get less for it.) If you think it's a problem, it's likely other people will too. Remember the real estate mantra: "Location, location, location."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 PM

120 posts, read 237,631 times
Thanks to modern medicine keeping all of us alive longer (though the obesity trend looks like it may be decreasing life expectancy in the current generation), we're all at a higher risk for cancer--life just does it to you, even if you live on a farm 200 miles from everywhere. I just wrote a thesis about a man in the 1930s who died of cancer after farming and living off the earth his whole life. That wasn't the main topic, or anything, but it just goes to show that cells mutate and sometimes the body can't beat it. Aside from the hugely obvious things like sun-bathing 8 hours a day year round and such, I really don't think people end up with cancer who wouldn't have. The key is to do the preventive health practices (like colonoscopies and mammograms) that help good ol' modern medicine find the cancer and remove/treat it before it runs its course too far.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:47 PM

83 posts, read 207,992 times
In the last few decades, the use of chemicals has proliferated so much that really they are all around us. Our personal care products, carpets, foods, beverages, fertilized lawns, ... I'm not saying we should give up because of this. I think we should try to limit our exposures where we can and keep our bodies and minds as healthy as possible, while realizing many factors are out of our control.

That being said, if I could see a cell phone tower out my window, that would be a pretty unappealing view. I don't know that I'd want to live with that on a daily basis, unless there was some very compelling reason for living there.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM

39 posts, read 128,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
it's just i'm thinking of buying a place where I can actually see the cell tower out my window and I'm a little hesitant to put in an offer.

according to a lot of published reports like this one, it is shown to increase cancer risk 3x if you are within 400m of a cell tower

Cell Phone Towers: How Far is Safe? - EMF-Health.com
Maybe because that site is selling a lot of unscientific junk. For a reasonable discussion, check the American Cancer Society site here:

ACS :: Cellular Phone Towers

Old 03-22-2010, 05:49 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
I didn't realize you could see the tower. How close is it? And yes, as a poster mentioned, you have to consider re-sale.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:46 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,584,994 times
Cell Towers are pretty low power compared to TV and Radio towers. I bought a house close to a tower as well and did some research, biggest risk I could find was resale.

If you own a cell phone you are basically sitting next to a signal source and holding it to your head. Depending how close you are there is some noise pollution from AC units and transformers.

The closer you are the less you see of the tower cause it's high up in the air and you don't look up that much.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:49 PM

228 posts, read 802,787 times
We had a potential house right next to a power transmission tower (that may not be the right word, but anyway). We weren't concerned about the (unproven/possibly nonexistant) cancer risk, but we were thinking of people who are paranoid about everything technological, and anticipated some problems with resale. That wasn't enough to kill the deal (it took some other things), but in this buyers market, i wouldn't knowningly reduce my pool of potential buyers. Just my opin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary