Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Rapid City: relocating, apartments for rent, rentals, condos, small home, townhouse.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:36 PM

461 posts, read 922,572 times

Advertisements

I'm set to get my Bachelor's degree come May here in Stevens Point, WI, and was looking to relocate to Rapid City (or just outside of Rapid City) once I finish. I'm an English major/Creative Writing minor with potential jobs in Dallas and Minneapolis, however I'd rather live in western South Dakota, not even in my field necessarily. I was thinking about joining the police force, hopefully getting training in SD, but am open to other realistic options that would be available to me with the amount of education and experience that I would have (that's where I'm hoping you guys can help out!)

After much consideration, I believe I'd prefer a life that's comfortable, but not extensive and I am absolutely in love with the West, particularly Rapid City and its surrounding area. I've read some of the other topics on here concerning taxes, renting, and job availability, and was mostly curious as to how easy it is to find a home for rent. I'd actually prefer one outside of the city, nothing too extravagant.

Those are some of my concerns/thoughts as of now and if you can help me with either or pass on any other great knowledge that'd be excellent!

I love these boards, I wish I would've found them earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 06:47 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,713,261 times
Hey there! Welcome to the forum and congrats on graduating! You have probably seen from previous boards that I live in Rapid City and I know the area extensively.

The Rapid City Police Force is always looking for new recruits and I believe they train at both their headquarters and at the Western Dakota Technical Institute. Teachers are always needed in South Dakota so finding a job in that field would not be difficult either. In regards to renting a place, do you prefer a townhome, condo, house, or an apartment? I have helped several other members find places to suit them in Rapid City before too.

When you say that you want to live outside of Rapid City do you mean suburbs or outskirts? The most desirable areas of Rapid City are the southside or the westside. There is constant development in both areas so apartments are being built everywhere as are houses and condos. Rapid Valley (to the east) also has some nice areas. This may be where you want to look because it is five minutes outside of Rapid City, more affordable than in town, and it has spectacular views of the Black Hills, Rapid City lights, and Harney Peak. It is also very close to the airport and there is a lot of development in Rapid Valley because parts of it are being annexed into Rapid City.

Let me know a price range and hopefully I can help ya' out! Once again... WELCOME!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I've seen many of your posts on the boards, as I've been browsing them for about 3 hrs. straight while at work (every flight is cancelled from Minny, Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee).

When I said outside of Rapid City I meant a place like Rapid Valley, as you mentioned. I wrote that down along with southern and western Rapid City, but had it stuck in my head when I read about the lower taxes outside of Pennington (is Rapid Valley outside of Pennington?) and the scenic views as to which you just told me of. I don't want to move too far out of the city though, as I'd like to be in the social scene (g/f and I are going to be apart for 3 1/2 years, honestly don't see that working out, and I'd just like to make some local friends, as do most people I presume).

I'm thinking $500-$750 per month to rent a small house. It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly without a job nailed down yet, but I'm trying to think on terms of my current pay in part-time work. Thanks for all your help thus far. I've heard SD has good people, and that has only been confirmed when I visited there and the people here.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:44 AM

Unfortunately Rapid Valley is in Pennington County and close enough to Rapid City to where it is subject to the high property taxes, but if you are just renting that will not be an issue for you. Many people build in Meade County which is just northwest of Rapid City to escape these outrageous taxes. People also can build in Pennington County, but it has to be quite a ways out of Rapid City to be exempt.

$500-$700 per month will get you a nice smaller home in Rapid City or Rapid Valley. You could probably get much more in that price range with a condo or apartment and you would not have to worry about groundskeeping and maintenance. That price range would actually get a REALLY nice apartment on the southside or westside, so keep that in mind. I live in a townhouse on the southside and I pay $875, but that takes care of all the utilities but electricity which is very low in Western South Dakota. In fact, it is the lowest in the U.S.

Meeting new people in Rapid City is very easy too. Most people here are very outdoors-y (being so close to the Black Hills and all), and the bar scene is very active. Most college students here go to SDSM&T and are engineers so they may be kinda lame!

Good Luck! Any more questions don't hesitate!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:56 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
Hi Ben and welcome to the forum! Good luck to you and I just know you'll love living out in the Hills area. It's so beautiful out there.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Unfortunately Rapid Valley is in Pennington County and close enough to Rapid City to where it is subject to the high property taxes, but if you are just renting that will not be an issue for you. Many people build in Meade County which is just northwest of Rapid City to escape these outrageous taxes. People also can build in Pennington County, but it has to be quite a ways out of Rapid City to be exempt.

$500-$700 per month will get you a nice smaller home in Rapid City or Rapid Valley. You could probably get much more in that price range with a condo or apartment and you would not have to worry about groundskeeping and maintenance. That price range would actually get a REALLY nice apartment on the southside or westside, so keep that in mind. I live in a townhouse on the southside and I pay $875, but that takes care of all the utilities but electricity which is very low in Western South Dakota. In fact, it is the lowest in the U.S.

Meeting new people in Rapid City is very easy too. Most people here are very outdoors-y (being so close to the Black Hills and all), and the bar scene is very active. Most college students here go to SDSM&T and are engineers so they may be kinda lame!

Good Luck! Any more questions don't hesitate!
I do think I'd be renting, so I guess the property taxes aren't a problem. I wouldn't mind an apartment, but I'd prefer a house. Do you like the townhouse you live in?

Jammie, yes I love your state! My time spent there was wonderful and so is the scenery.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:43 PM

I really do like living in a townhouse because I have a lawn and a deck to entertain with, but I don't have to do maintenance nor groundskeeping. I am sure you can find the same kind of deal with renting a house too. My neighbors are all pretty quiet. I have a dentist to my left and two teachers to my right, so it's creepy quiet!

When did you visit South Dakota and what brought you out here?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,118 times
Welcome to South Dakota, Ben. You will find many great people in South Dakotan and in Rapid City. I live in the opposite end of South Dakota near Sioux Falls, but have been to Rapid on a number of occasions. Rapid City is a neat city. I have been there in May and other times during the summer and once during the winter. There is low humidity and it is generally warmer there in the wintertime than in most places in the Midwest. I have passed through in May and June and the weather is gorgeous. Even when it gets hot there, the weather is still better than the humid 85 or 90 degree weather that one would experience in Sioux Falls and most other parts of the Midwest.

Do you like the outdoors? There is a ton of outdoor activities. I know that the Mickelson Trail is in the Black Hills. It is an extensive bike trail that starts in the northern part of the hills and heads on down by the Edgement/Hot Springs area. Custer State Park, Spearfish Canyon, and a number of other scenic areas are also good to get an outdoor fix.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 PM

I visited South Dakota (along with a bunch of other states) on a road trip with my family. We stayed in Deadwood, Chamberlain, and a little town that I can't remember a name of in eastern SD. We went up to Mt. Rushmore and took the loop around Custer State Park and the loop around the Badlands. We were also in Rapid City and that's the area I connected to most. I loved pretty much everything about SD from the prairies to the black hills to the badlands to the Missouri River.

I love hiking, running, and biking, as well as wildlife (mt. lions being my favorite). We saw some bison, pronghorn, and wild donkeys that came up to our vehicles on the way up to Mt. Rushmore. Here in central WI, we have deer and turkeys everywhere, with the occasional bear, fisher, bobcat, or other rare animal. Up north there are a few parts with moose and elk.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:29 PM

South Dakota actually has a mountain lion hunting season now, so if you are really interested in mountain lions this is where to come. It sounds like you will adapt very easily in the Black Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City