Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 03:20 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times

Advertisements

I was one of the 1st back in the 90's to jump on the internet and know it's a great tool. But in todays big city market, I'm beginning to wonder if the average agent who works under one of the big names is prudently spending their money to maintain a website.

The big brokers spend millions keeping theirs updated, Google and the other search engines rarely place you at the top and in the larger cities you are but one in a cast of thousands.

I can understand if you are your own broker, live in a rural or smaller community. Most websites are nothing more than a Billboard to introduce yourself to a prospect that you've met somewhere else.

But I really wonder if it is cost effective. As an individual agent, what do you think ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 03:46 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I have been giving this a lot of thought lately, as I interview a few developers for a new site.
It is not cheap.

But, I feel like I need it.

1. The passive sales angle, where I can have 2500 hits in a year on one page, where visitors can get to know me, while I sleep, is a motivator.

2. IDX. The site gives me a platform for IDX, which is a service to clients, potential clients, and anyone who doesn't buy into zillow or trulia, or Realtor.com.
I am willing to invest in the best IDX I can find, to make that experience the best it can be.

3. Google, Bing, and Yahoo are my friends, too, and I can work my site onto page one in various keywords without too much effort.
The synergy of posting on ActiveRain helps there, but I like having my own little place for consumers where they can get comfortable.

4. It DOES serve as a dynamic electronic brochure, where I pull blog posts to email to people about various neighborhoods, parks, schools, etc.

5. I think it is expected, and the lack of a URL is the brand of a fogie...

6. I dislike most of what I see on Facebook and twitter, and don't consider them as serious alternatives.

But, I am SO turned off by overwrought rococo booger (Pick ME!!) sites that look like they are designed by Hoarders. I think MY site is too frilly, , and I am headed for a more minimalist approach.

And, I have a couple more things up my sleeve....

Old 08-26-2010, 05:13 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
As a technology trainer I have some theories - one is that social media will take over as being more important than a website. Agents still need websites as people want to validate them.

City-Data is #2 or 3 as the referring website for one of my URL's every week.

They do google us, so make sure you know who is talking about you and what they are saying.

It's $20 a month for a point2 site, plus ILD...

Old 08-26-2010, 06:08 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
YES, having a personal website is very important. Having a page on a broker site allows the consumers to continue to click buttons and then find another agent. If they're on my site, they're not getting info about another agent. My blog ranks extremely high in Austin, I've made hundreds of thousands just from my blog. My websites have PPC attached and direct buyers and sellers to me. I would never direct people to a site where they would/could leave my information.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:37 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Default Oh,well, here I go again.

I will speak only for Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, SW Ohio, & SE Michigan, the service areas of RE/MAX Regional Services. Individual agent websites are at no additional cost.

Last edited by tomocox; 08-26-2010 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: correct the firm's name

Old 08-26-2010, 06:54 PM

63 posts, read 196,270 times
I have gotten great leads from my website. Whenever I post my listings anywhere I include my website, company websites or others websites will send interested people to other agents.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 PM

470 posts, read 1,501,285 times
Do you want people to come to your website or your brokers? If they go to yours, which agent do they see? If they go to your brokers, which agents do they see? You can actually get away without a website if you have a good blogsite that does have IDX capabilities. Use social media to get people to your blogs and/or website.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeshonder View Post
Do you want people to come to your website or your brokers? If they go to yours, which agent do they see? If they go to your brokers, which agents do they see? You can actually get away without a website if you have a good blogsite that does have IDX capabilities. Use social media to get people to your blogs and/or website.
What is the distinction between a blog with IDX and a website?
I think a blog IS a website...

Other than that little item, you are spot on.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
I love my web site. It is something I can control (via my webmaster) and truly get people to look at my listings in detail. I don't use it to "sell me" - I don't even have my photo on the site - I'm trying to sell a listing. It works!

Old 08-27-2010, 04:09 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What is the distinction between a blog with IDX and a website?
I think a blog IS a website...

Other than that little item, you are spot on.
A blog is .blogspot.com ussually free. A website is .com, usually paid for. I am not a agent but I think in the general business world that .com implies you are serious and didn't just put up a free site to see if anything sticks, but if it gets the job done. Another minor issue(or major depends on what you think about) is you have deal with the host's ads on blog sites that are put onto your site and cannot be removed.
I also think but am not sure that .com's do better in the search engines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals