Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:53 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Nah, I just hate unskilled agents. It just happens most of those are part timers.
Worse than that, the seller is often acting as their own agent if their service just provides an MLS listing and a lock box. This leaves the buyer's agent in the position of having to make sure all the legal work is done correctly on both sides of the transaction. Not only does that greatly increase the liability to the buyer's agent but it requires the agent to spend twice the effort for what is usually a reduced fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 12:59 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Worse than that, the seller is often acting as their own agent if their service just provides an MLS listing and a lock box. This leaves the buyer's agent in the position of having to make sure all the legal work is done correctly on both sides of the transaction. Not only does that greatly increase the liability to the buyer's agent but it requires the agent to spend twice the effort for what is usually a reduced fee.
FSBO's don't bother me. They never claimed to be professional. I'll just dominate them in the negotiations or we'll move on to other sellers. Not a big deal to me at all. I've written offers that didn't work out and I'll write more over the years. Plenty of houses out there if they don't want to sell bad enough.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
I have no issue showing FSBO or flat fee listings. Generally speaking, in my area, they serve a purpose....to sell the competition.

Buyers, not their agents, decide which property suits them best.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,540 times
Yes, I agree there are many unskilled agents out there.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:42 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
FSBO's don't bother me. They never claimed to be professional. I'll just dominate them in the negotiations or we'll move on to other sellers. Not a big deal to me at all. I've written offers that didn't work out and I'll write more over the years. Plenty of houses out there if they don't want to sell bad enough.

i guess it depends on the seller as to whether you will "dominate" them as you say-frankly, as a seller, i don't want to deal with a difficult agent or buyer- i would prefer they move on the other houses as well-

Old 08-23-2011, 01:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post

i guess it depends on the seller as to whether you will "dominate" them as you say-frankly, as a seller, i don't want to deal with a difficult agent or buyer- i would prefer they move on the other houses as well-

We all prefer to not work with difficult people. Most sellers view their buyer/agent/attorney as difficult and vice- versa. That's the nature of the beast, especially in markets that favor one side of the transaction.

Most sellers are not getting what they wanted from the sale of their property. Most buyers feel they are overpaying, given the uncertainites and so much competition. Probably the best outcomes, right now, are those where both parties feel they have lost, a spin on the ole win-win outcome.

Decide if you want to get sold or sell the competition.
Decide if you want to get sold or wait indefinitely for nice folk to come along.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Why would any agent want to work on a listing that does not have a listing agent, to handle the sale if they bring a contract? Answer no experienced agent will.

Remember 80% of all sales are made by just 20% of real estate agents. Also 80% of all people entering the business as an agent, will fail out of the business a large percentage of them never make a sale.

The 20% of agents that will sell nearly all homes, will not waste their time on FSBO and low paying flat fee listings.

Imagine you work for a company for $25 an hour wages, and they ask if you want to do a certain job for only $8 an hour, would you jump up all excited and work part of the week for $8 an hour instead of $25 an hour?

That is exactly what you are asking the good agents that sell property to do. The ones that will try to sell the property are the 80% that will fail out of the business as they are so desperate to sell anything.

It is strange how many posters cry about the low pay a lot of jobs pay, and how hard it is to get a good wage, and then turn around and think Real Estate agents should work on low paid jobs (selling a house) when instead they can work on one that pays a full wage.

Think of things that way, and you can understand why the good agents that make most of the money won't take on low pay jobs (FSBO and flat fee commissions), when they can get paid fair wages at the normal commission by showing and selling other homes with normal fees and commissions. They have so many hours a day to devote to work, and they want them to give them a good return by being regular pay, not half as much as selling another home, or not wanting to pay at all as some FSBO's want.

You only get what you pay for.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:56 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
That is why RE attorneys are used. They can handle all of the paperwork for the seller, without the need for a listing agent. This is not a good reason to use a listing agent.

OTOH, an exceptional marketing plan, with lots of personal connections and the ability to encourage interest in the home is quite valuable. (Of course for the totally unfamiliar owner, they provide necessary help with pricing, photos, staging suggestions, negotiations as well.)

Old 07-09-2015, 07:01 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Every time a discussion of agency comes up and people start going on about stuff they don't understand, I can't help but think of the six blind blokes and their encounter with an elephant.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:48 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
That is why RE attorneys are used. They can handle all of the paperwork for the seller, without the need for a listing agent. This is not a good reason to use a listing agent.

OTOH, an exceptional marketing plan, with lots of personal connections and the ability to encourage interest in the home is quite valuable. (Of course for the totally unfamiliar owner, they provide necessary help with pricing, photos, staging suggestions, negotiations as well.)
Around here we use attorneys in each and every transaction. This being said, they're typically just running with what the real estate agents have negotiated. They have no idea to how to actually use the contracts or why we pick the dates, dollar amounts, etc. that we do. Even though many attorneys around here are also licensed agents, handing them a blank offer contract would be like putting a loaded gun in the hands of a child - someone's going to get hurt.

I've actually represented real estate attorneys in the past as their agent. At the end of the transaction, they're always blown away by how much I know and they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Every time a discussion of agency comes up and people start going on about stuff they don't understand, I can't help but think of the six blind blokes and their encounter with an elephant.
As the old saying goes . . you don't know what you don't know. It's amazing how much of the public thinks they know exactly what we do but in reality they have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals