Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 13,985 times

Advertisements

I am purchasing my first home in maryland and I'm scared to death. I am using a VA loan. The house is being sold at $325,000 with the seller paying $8000 in closing cost. The rest of the closing cost is being tacked on making the sale price $330,000. I am getting a rate of 5.75 and paying $999 at closing time after the $1000 deposit. Is this a good deal? I keep hearing different things. The VA appraised the house for $330,500. I have already been approved financially. I am just scared I could be getting a better deal in this market. I just don't know. It's always hard for me to make decisions and this is the biggest one of my life. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 12:20 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,596,749 times
that sounds like a good VA deal.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 13,985 times
I am purchasing my first home in maryland and I'm scared to death. I am using a VA loan. The house is being sold at $325,000 with the seller paying $8000 in closing cost. The rest of the closing cost is being tacked on making the sale price $330,000. I am getting a rate of 5.75 and paying $999 at closing time after the $1000 deposit. Is this a good deal? I keep hearing different things. The VA appraised the house for $330,500. I have already been approved financially. I am just scared I could be getting a better deal in this market. I just don't know. It's always hard for me to make decisions and this is the biggest one of my life. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:33 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,151,540 times
Sounds like a square deal. Get it closed and enjoy your new home!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:33 PM

7 posts, read 61,043 times
Default My experience with a VA loan

I'm not a realtor or a lender, but recently purchased our first home using a VA loan. It seems like many people have negative feelings about VA loans. So, I want to share our experience, which was great!

We purchased our home in 2007 using a VA Loan. We're recently out of grad school and didn't have much cash to put down (we could have put down 10 percent, maximum, although our credit scores are income are pretty high), but we did 100 percent financing. We also got the seller to pay all closing costs. We purchased when interest rates were higher, but shopped around and got a rate of 6.75 percent (this was pretty good at the time, though now it sounds outrageous).

We didn't have to pay a VA funding fee due to a service-connected disability, which was definitely our deciding factor in using a VA-guaranteed loan. We shopped around quite a bit, and found a lender who does lots of VA loans. There were no junk fees, no points, no origination fee, etc. Here is a basic summary of fees from our GFE:
Apraisal (by VA Appraiser): $350
Flood Cert: $13
Credit Report: $14.50
Settlement/Escrow Fee: $525
Title Insurance: $875
Recording Fee: $100
Survey $150

I would have to check the HUD 1, but I know we got some money back at closing because the fees were even less than the GFE.

We wanted a quick close date and our realtor and the seller's realtor were both skeptical about closing so quickly. However, the day the contract was accepted our lender ordered the VA appraisal and it was done the next day! Even our lender (who does a lot of VA loans) was shocked. The house was not in perfect condition (built in 1920s), but the VA appraiser gave a glowing report.

We were ready to close within a week or so. Everyone involved was shocked. I attribute it to a combination of a great loan officer, meticulous completion of paperwork by us and good luck.

We just refinanced at 5.5 percent with the original loan officer. We did a VA Streamline Refi, and again, the service-connected disability meant we didn't have to pay a funding fee. Our total costs came to $1200 (not including escrows of course).

You have to be careful though, because people will try to take advantage. If you are going to refinance a VA loan, don't go with a lender who will charge outrageous fees. I contacted a few companies who wanted to charge anywhere from $4k to $7k to refinance. That's just ridiculous.

(Among the worst offenders were Countrywide, VA Mortgage Center, VA Loan Program and I-Freedom Direct.)

Anyway, we had a great experience, and because we're exempt from the funding fee for as many times as we want to use a VA loan, we will definitely finance our next home using a VA-backed mortgage.

I just wanted to share our experience. After all, if you serve your country you have a VA loan entitlement, and in many cases it can be a very good deal. If anyone has questions, feel free to PM me.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:50 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,596,749 times
Also, USDA is one of the best loans also.

VA restricts fees or junk fees ...from the lender AND the attorney/title company.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:36 PM

6 posts, read 10,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalLover View Post
Illinois has a program for Veterans than may be even better than a VA loan. Here, they can borrow 20% at 0%, 80% at a reduced rate, up to $2500 in closing cost allowance/down payment assistance and NO funding fee. Income limitations are fairly high, do not need to be a first time buyer. Last time I asked, bottom line was 30 year fixed rate at under 5%. I would LOVE to find a vet to help with this program!
nerver heard of thise before

Old 04-15-2009, 07:14 PM

634 posts, read 1,559,635 times
Wink closing costs that va cannot pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
So guys . . . when does the use of a VA mortgage get surprised on the seller? I've never had a buyer use one, but I would imagine that it would be to the buyer's best interests to hide it since the seller is going to pay for things he normally doesn't have to pay for and deal with a bunch of govt headaches.

Have you ever had a seller refuse to pay for fees that are not customary or usual in the market? Or, have you had the seller raise the price on the home to cover the extra costs and time dictated by the VA's policy? I know that last one would be my option, especially if the buyer hid the fact from me during negotiations.
VA loans are real easy. The thing is that you have to increase the sales price to compensate the seller for the closing costs that the VA will not allow a vet to pay. It is not that complicated but the seller needs to know what is going on.

Often times if the sales price in increased by 5K to cover closing costs, the closing costs turn out to be 4300 and the seller pockets the difference! It is win win all around, especilly for our vets who have an opportunity to buy a home with 0 down. To me that is a great way to say thank you for serving our country!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:50 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,989,573 times
Markets are all different. VA loans are about 85-90% of our business. It is customary here that the seller will pay some closing costs. A seller would not get away with increasing the sales price if the buyer was using a VA loan here. We are a military based market.

I'm personnally getting ready to use my VA entitlement for the third time.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 7,849 times
Default To Veteran

I would like to talk to you via email veteran, I am a disabled veteran myself and I am getting told by everyone that the minumum score is 580, and 620 for any loans being sold to wall street. I have been looking for a loan and would love to know what bank you are with so I can go there.

El Paso Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
most of the info you said is correct

but closing in 4 days?
please.
to order eligibility 24-48 hrs
gather docs 24-48hrs
VA appraisal 3-5 business days

AND I'm sure you have underwriters who have nothing to do....and they underwrite it in a couple of hours.

sounds like an ad to me.
VA easiest to close? yea ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals