Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
If find it weird that you say that you don't see value but that your FIL represents you. If there isn't any value in representation why waste his time?
Its pretty obvious that he uses the father in law to have him kick his commission back to him....He can negotiate outright without any hostility from the agents because his father in law is an agent himself.

Basically same reason I got my license, so that I can get the best price possible and then still collect the commission on top of it. Its free money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Its pretty obvious that he uses the father in law to have him kick his commission back to him....He can negotiate outright without any hostility from the agents because his father in law is an agent himself.

Basically same reason I got my license, so that I can get the best price possible and then still collect the commission on top of it. Its free money.
I get that but it isn't fair to say consumers are stupid for using agents for tasks that he gets for free. Not everyone has an agent in the family...which is kind of hard to believe with so many agents on there, but it is true.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times
Quote:
I get that but it isn't fair to say consumers are stupid for using agents for tasks that he gets for free. Not everyone has an agent in the family...which is kind of hard to believe with so many agents on there, but it is true.

I agree agents serve a valuable purpose for most of the population.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post

Bingo!

My father in law is basically the rubber stamp that I need in order to get the deal done. I can look up properties for myself, contact agents to set up showings, get financing...etc on my own.

All that being said I have had wonderful agents on the seller side who really knew their trade and I was happy to pay their commissions.

I just think now realtors on the buyer's side do fewer things than they used to do, but still collect the same sort of money.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
If find it weird that you say that you don't see value but that your FIL represents you. If there isn't any value in representation why waste his time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
It is a mirror of the rest of society. One doesn't value that which is free. They just expect it.
While I greatly appreciate my father in law's generosity in donating his commission, his value is merely the fact that I don't have to pay an agent a fee for a deal that I negotiate myself.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
While I greatly appreciate my father in law's generosity in donating his commission, his value is merely the fact that I don't have to pay an agent a fee for a deal that I negotiate myself.
You never have to pay an agent a fee for a deal that you can negotiate yourself.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Captain,

You are missing one key ingredient. Even today, most people buying homes don't have the cash to layout up front. Secondly, if they pay a Realtor upfront, that reduces their mortgage capacities under the current lending rules. Third, there are still some contractural issues that sellers still pay 100% of the commissions. In a short-sale situation, this could present even more difficulty.
I'm not missing the key ingredient; I merely posed the options. The options are there, and some can take advantage of them if they wish.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Seems more likely from this statement that his value is in "donating" his commission to you. In other words it seems like you're taking advantage of him. You could negotiate the deal yourself and not use his time. But then he couldn't "donate" his commission to you, could he?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Bingo!

My father in law is basically the rubber stamp that I need in order to get the deal done. I can look up properties for myself, contact agents to set up showings, get financing...etc on my own...
So you're going to contact agents (either listing agents, or some buyer agents) to show the homes to you; then you're going to bring your father in law in the picture to collect a commission to "donate" to you, after you've used some of the other agents time without compensation.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
So you're going to contact agents (either listing agents, or some buyer agents) to show the homes to you; then you're going to bring your father in law in the picture to collect a commission to "donate" to you, after you've used some of the other agents time without compensation.
Besides contacting the listing agent who would get the commission anyway, who exactly is getting screwed here?

You guys can deny reality all you want, but it is only a matter of time before the real estate agent goes the way of the travel agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals