Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
You guys can deny reality all you want, but it is only a matter of time before the real estate agent goes the way of the travel agent.
Brought directly to the gullible public from the blah, blah, blah folder in the yadda, yadda, yadda files!

The reality of travel agent industry job increases:
Travel Agents : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

"Employment of travel agents is projected to grow by 10 percent from 2010 to 2020, about as fast as the average for all occupations."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Brought directly to the gullible public from the blah, blah, blah folder in the yadda, yadda, yadda files!

The reality of travel agent industry job increases:
Travel Agents : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

"Employment of travel agents is projected to grow by 10 percent from 2010 to 2020, about as fast as the average for all occupations."
Seriously, I do not know even one single person - not one - that uses a travel agent...it is a totally different set of circumstances and dollar values - but the travel agent is non-existent now a days unless the report is referring to online programmers writing code for sites like travelocity, americanexpress travel, and the likes.

The traditional travel agent is dead...he is not just dying or suffering...he is dead. You will never get me to believe otherwise even if you introduce me to 100 other folks who use them. I do not know even one person who has used one...not one, and I know alot of people.

I do however know A travel agent....that agent books trips exclusively for corporations who don't care about money and need them booked when they need them booked....there is one other person in his office who does the same thing but for exceptionally wealthy people who need private airplane accommodations.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Seriously, I do not know even one single person - not one - that uses a travel agent...it is a totally different set of circumstances and dollar values - but the travel agent is non-existent now a days unless the report is referring to online programmers writing code for sites like travelocity, americanexpress travel, and the likes....
Travel agents tend to be used more often for complex travel situations such as visiting multiple locations, and coordinating activities. I agree, not as likely for your simple point to point travel bookings. I used one for an extensive vacation we took last year. I had better uses for my time.

Sort of like using a Realtor or not. Some can handle the complexities, and others don't want to be bothered.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:44 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:
Seriously, I do not know even one single person - not one - that uses a travel agent...it is a totally different set of circumstances and dollar values - but the travel agent is non-existent now a days unless the report is referring to online programmers writing code for sites like travelocity, americanexpress travel, and the likes.

The traditional travel agent is dead...he is not just dying or suffering...he is dead. You will never get me to believe otherwise even if you introduce me to 100 other folks who use them. I do not know even one person who has used one...not one, and I know alot of people.

I do however know A travel agent....that agent books trips exclusively for corporations who don't care about money and need them booked when they need them booked....there is one other person in his office who does the same thing but for exceptionally wealthy people who need private airplane accommodations.
I have a client that is a travel agent. You are right in the sense that the jo average middle class person doesn't use their services. It is more of a speciality for corporation and wealthy consumers. I think the reason that there is projected growth is because a lot of people are totally overwhelmed by the internet and shopping deals and packages becomes too cumbersome.

There will always be real estate agents. Will the profession morph? Absolutely, but it won't ever die. The problem with DIY'ers is that they often struggle to understand that not everyone thinks or behaves like them and then tend to assume people are willing to do what they are willing to do. Redfin has been around for a long time and will continue to be around, but the model isn't for everyone.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:

OK and whatever...
You don't use travel agents and you don't know anyone who uses travel agents. The BLS says you have a limited circle of acquaintances.
That doesn't change the projected job assessment as seen by people who are charged with estimating numbers.

The guy came on here trolling about agents, and spouted the typical dour stuff about real estate agents going the way of the travel agent.
Real estate agents ARE adapting to change, despite blather otherwise. Just like travel professionals did so there is growth in that industry.
I really didn't think he was trolling that there would be growth in number of real estate agents to parallel the growth in number of travel agents, but who knows what is Obvious to others?

Old 11-29-2012, 04:07 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
I used a travel agent just earlier this year. They seemed to be doing fine. Captain Obvious...phsss, more like Captain Clueless. He speaks only from personal experience in an attempt to hijack a thread so he may take a cheap shot at agents. He has no facts or other basis for his opinion. Bottom line is it's a service industry that most people need and some don't (much like an attorney in that regard). Agents aren't going anywhere.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:36 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I'm not missing the key ingredient; I merely posed the options. The options are there, and some can take advantage of them if they wish.
Bill, it was the other captain. Not you.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Okay, I am just a typical homeowner having sold and purchased multiple homes in my life. My honest perception of Realtors? The amount of work completed is not nearly enough to justify the cost. So, in short, it's the commission structure.

Yes, I know there are other pay structures but I, and many others like me, know the 'fix is in' and using alternative methods of compensation guarantees you will get shoddy service. Whether my viewpoint is true or not isn't relevant because it is the common perception and that is the problem you face.

I'm the easy client. I do all the work necessary upfront before I even call a realtor to sell my home. The longest one of my homes have been on the market is 2 days before getting under contract. My home is always in excellent condition since I want to get top dollar and have never had any issues with inspections, etc. So, all in all, I am paying the same commission being the 'easy client' as another who is the difficult client. How is that fair to me? At that point, I'm not paying for services rendered, I am subsidizing that realtor for other seller's poor preparation.

I don't know the answer to changing perception but I will tell you this. I've never met a single person who felt that the commission structure was ideal. However, they all understand they are powerless to change it and thus must 'endure' it. That leads to some pretty poor perceptions of the industry as a whole.

Oh and on getting that really good realtor versus the crap one? Yeah, interview all you want and I promise you every realtor, regardless of truth, will tell you they are the best option, most ethical, most interested in protecting your interests, etc, etc. You're just not perceived as an honest industry.

Feel free to tell me that it is my fault because I just don't 'understand' or am not experienced enough to 'get it'. Well, placing the blame upon your clients for your bad perception is never good business practice. I suggest the industry think long and hard about clients' perception because an unsatisfied customer base opens the door for someone to come along and make you extinct.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:07 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,398,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Okay, I am just a typical homeowner having sold and purchased multiple homes in my life. My honest perception of Realtors? The amount of work completed is not nearly enough to justify the cost. So, in short, it's the commission structure.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Regardless of any value that might be added by an agent, I agree that working on commission is the root of our perceptual/reputation problems.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 11-30-2012 at 04:16 AM..

Old 11-30-2012, 05:16 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Bill, it was the other captain. Not you.
You mean the "Obvious" one; not the "real" one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals