Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:09 AM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Do you do it consistantly? I really don't think I've ever met anyone who actually does this ... people talk about it in a phantom way, but I don't think I've ever known an agent to do this.
Young lady in the office next to me knocked doors while farming a couple of neighborhoods for the last 2 years.
She will "own" the nicer ($$$) neighborhood next year, I predict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 04:01 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Do you do it consistantly? I really don't think I've ever met anyone who actually does this ... people talk about it in a phantom way, but I don't think I've ever known an agent to do this.
We have several around here that do that. Some come once a year to drop a calendar or something.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,044,926 times
Farming areas has always been a great source of prospects for agents - never did the cold call thing myself even before the 'no call lists' came out considering I was probably one of the first people to sign up for it.

Simply left holiday cards, calendars, flyers about services offered or whatnot with agent/brokerage information, etc. It's what I did in the States, as well as here. Personally I find that is a less intrusive way to get our information out there, course everyone has their own different style.

Last edited by Marka; 12-29-2009 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned quote

Old 02-21-2011, 05:58 AM

624 posts, read 1,071,733 times
Is there an update to these cases? What happened to that agent?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:48 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedLady View Post
Great advice & reminder. I am a "Door Knocker" ......would rather have a face to face verses calling. Most of my listings have come from this.
Good girl Painted Lady! I was trained never to make a phone call ... it's too easy for someone to say "no thanks" over the phone. The most effective way is to take the time to show up, knock on the door and introduce yourself. Do not ask to go in. Just be polite, offer your business card and a small brochure with your bio and your sales history for the past year or whatever it takes. Ask if you are there at a good time, don't ask if it is a bad time, they might say "yes, it is"! If they don't answer within a reasonable time, leave your "stuff" and leave the premises. Write a personal note, etc. etc. If you are new, admit it, they will respect you for it. Do not be pushy or overbearing, and don't overstay your welcome. If you have shown their house while it was with another agency, do not even mention the other agency. But tell them you have shown their home, and try to compliment them. Never bash another agent or office, don't even go there with body language if you don't like the competition.

If they don't invite you in, ask if you are welcome to call on them in a few days and that in the meantime you will prepare a summary for them at no obligation. Include a list of names (authorized) that they can call for references about your service. Another no no is to say that you have a client who might be interested. Kiss of death right there. Do not lie, fib, or stretch the truth. You are there to find out their motivation for selling. You will already know pretty much why the house didn't sell last time around, so don't even go there.

After awhile, you will be doing business on personal referrals, and that is the most satisfying of all. People will ask for you because you are upfront, reliable and professional, and they will need you. (sorry to be so long winded .... others are free to agree or disagree.)

Old 02-21-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Good girl Painted Lady! I was trained never to make a phone call ... it's too easy for someone to say "no thanks" over the phone. The most effective way is to take the time to show up, knock on the door and introduce yourself. Do not ask to go in. Just be polite, offer your business card and a small brochure with your bio and your sales history for the past year or whatever it takes. Ask if you are there at a good time, don't ask if it is a bad time, they might say "yes, it is"! If they don't answer within a reasonable time, leave your "stuff" and leave the premises. Write a personal note, etc. etc. If you are new, admit it, they will respect you for it. Do not be pushy or overbearing, and don't overstay your welcome. If you have shown their house while it was with another agency, do not even mention the other agency. But tell them you have shown their home, and try to compliment them. Never bash another agent or office, don't even go there with body language if you don't like the competition.

If they don't invite you in, ask if you are welcome to call on them in a few days and that in the meantime you will prepare a summary for them at no obligation. Include a list of names (authorized) that they can call for references about your service. Another no no is to say that you have a client who might be interested. Kiss of death right there. Do not lie, fib, or stretch the truth. You are there to find out their motivation for selling. You will already know pretty much why the house didn't sell last time around, so don't even go there.

After awhile, you will be doing business on personal referrals, and that is the most satisfying of all. People will ask for you because you are upfront, reliable and professional, and they will need you. (sorry to be so long winded .... others are free to agree or disagree.)
could you share a bit about your routine? I'd imagine that most homes will not have anyone in it. what do you leave at the door? I'm thinking of using handwritten stickies with my contact info. Like... my name is so and so, from abc realty. Sorry I missed you, if you are thinking of selling or buying your home, or know anyone else who is, call me ...

thanks

Old 02-22-2011, 06:32 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
could you share a bit about your routine? I'd imagine that most homes will not have anyone in it. what do you leave at the door? I'm thinking of using handwritten stickies with my contact info. Like... my name is so and so, from abc realty. Sorry I missed you, if you are thinking of selling or buying your home, or know anyone else who is, call me ...

thanks

A "handwritten sticky" ?? c'mon, read my post again.

If no one is home, you keep going back until they are home. If the house is vacant, you will simply have to do some research to get the information. No stickies!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
A "handwritten sticky" ?? c'mon, read my post again.

If no one is home, you keep going back until they are home. If the house is vacant, you will simply have to do some research to get the information. No stickies!
No stickies? That means that if you knock on 100 doors and 20 are home, 80 would never know you were there. At least a sticky would make sure you were seen.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Quote:
No stickies? That means that if you knock on 100 doors and 20 are home, 80 would never know you were there. At least a sticky would make sure you were seen.
BigV, try the sticky and see how well it works. People who succeed find ways to reach out (legally) and contact people. Join a bowlers league, hang out at PTA meetings, knock on doors, do whatever it takes to meet people without being overly pushy.

Most successful people have failed, they try new things until they hit what works for them. When I started there was a guy in our office who worked the Obituaries in the local paper. I couldn't do it but apparently it brought him some business.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM

470 posts, read 1,500,646 times
Quote:
At least a sticky would make sure people think you are tacky, and cheap! If you are going to leave anything, make sure that it is something they will keep, like a magnetic not pad for the refrigerator, a calendar, perhaps a list of tips for getting a home ready to sell.

But a sticky note.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals