Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:52 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times

Advertisements

I got my license 3 months ago, and just closed on my first sale (my listing) yesterday. I had planned to send a thank you card to my sellers but wondered if it is customary to send a gift as well? It was a 700k sale if that makes a difference in your response. And whatever it is, I'd have to send 2 since my clients are separated. Any comments, gift ideas, ect appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 10:13 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
As a buyer and seller, I've received gifts from realtors. And sometimes I haven't. Guess what? I remember the names of the ones that sent me something way better than the realtors who didn't.

Of course, those realtors were also the type that had established marketing programs to keep in contact with prior clients, to remind me of them when I was ran into someone buying or selling a house. I also had one realtor who helped us sell a house who continued sending $5 Starbucks cards for months. I made sure I referred her as often as I could (and still do) - but she was also the BEST realtor I ever had.

The gifts I liked best were the ones personalized to us, for our interests. A personal touch.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:33 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
I always send a gift to both listing and buyer clients after a closing. Hefty gift certificate to a nice restaurant, generous gift basket, floral arrangement, whatever seems to fit that person. And don't forget them in years to come either, at holiday times or occasions they like that you're aware of. I like to use Thanksgiving Day and St. Patrick's Day as times to send a nice card or funny postcard to previous clients to keep in touch.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:16 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
I almost always give a gift to my clients. I want them to know that I'm appreciative that they entrusted me with such an important responsibility. Whenever possible, I try to avoid gift cards. Instead, I try to give my clients something they'll hold on to and use often. So, when they use it they'll think of me.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 AM

184 posts, read 316,225 times
my realtor gave us a gift card to restaurant in new town, and she also bought a child a bunch of clothes when he was born (my wife was pregnant while house hunting). We will use her again.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
I bought the first 30 yard dumpster for a client that bought a REAL fixer ($380). Come to think of that, I've done it twice. I paid for all the inspections up front for a VA client including a home inspection that wasn't part of what I promised to do. (Over $500).

Case of local wine here, case of local wine there. (Over $100 each time)

I've even bought a queen sized bed and mattress for a client that bought an empty house and uses it as a weekend thing to start them out. (A yard sale find @ $300)

I'm sort of amazed that I see the $25 gift certificates as somehow being enough or appropriate for the circumstances. I have to add, I did give a hefty gift cert for a restaurant to a guy who granted an easement (25'X 75" on a 20 acre parcel in a corner) to make a deal happen.

In return, I've had a client grace me with $800 worth of pot (I don't smoke it myself) that I passed on to a close friend who supplied me with the value.

I also tip big at restaurants, so maybe I'm just generous

Old 08-11-2014, 05:08 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I almost always give a gift to my clients. I want them to know that I'm appreciative that they entrusted me with such an important responsibility. Whenever possible, I try to avoid gift cards. Instead, I try to give my clients something they'll hold on to and use often. So, when they use it they'll think of me.
^^This

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
In return, I've had a client grace me with $800 worth of pot (I don't smoke it myself) that I passed on to a close friend who supplied me with the value.
I love that story I don't understand how people stick to the $25 thing either. I too try to match the gift to the client. I have paid for builder upgrades and most recently paid a piano tuner to tune my client's grand piano after it got moved. He loved that gift (or so he told me).

Old 08-11-2014, 07:47 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I'm sort of amazed that I see the $25 gift certificates as somehow being enough or appropriate for the circumstances.
Even worse are the agents who give absolutely nothing. I sat down at a closing last week and had a bottle of wine with me. The other agent leaned over and whispered to me "you're making me look bad!" It's a good thing for her that the real thank you gift for my clients in the trunk of my car awaiting the end of the closing.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:59 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
We have a monogram stamp and a keychain from the brokerage.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:30 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Thank you, I appreciate the comments. They totally took a huge risk on me, they knew I was newly licensed and I am so appreciative beyond words. A closing gift for a buyer is easy, but coming up with something suitable for a seller who has everything was more challenging. There is a local winery/restaurant that I chose to support by loading up a gift card there; thank you for the ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals