Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:29 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

I have tried to find this using Google, but it's turned out to be scattered all over the net. I'm hoping one of the professional realtors here might be able to point me to a single source that shows all the states that require sellers to disclose if a suicide has occurred in their home. (alternatively, I could work with the opposite - a list of states that do NOT require disclosure.)

The reason I am looking for this information is that I find it disturbing, unacceptable, even discriminatory, that this disclosure is required anywhere. I'm retired now, and would like to spend some of my time and energy towards an effort at making changes to these disclosure laws.

No, I am not a realtor, lawyer or politician. Just somebody who still believes that one person can make a difference. If any one has additional suggestions, reading, information, contacts, etc. that they might want to share, I'd be grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 01:45 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I think you'll find a lot of misinformation online. In fact, it is sometimes difficult for people who are supposed to know to find out the right answer.

For example, I live in Idaho. Psychologically impacted properties (a house where a suicide takes place falls in this category) are not a required disclosure here. In fact, if the buyer asks, even if the agent knows the answer is yes, they are not allowed to disclose without written permission from the seller.

HOWEVER, in 2 different recent continuing education classes for real estate agents, the teacher was teaching that this was a required disclosure. We called the real estate commission the first time to get clarification and let them know it was being taught wrong. A year later, another agent in our office took a class where it was again taught wrong. So most agents in my area think it is a required disclosure, even though the opposite is the case, because that is what they learned in their real estate class.

Most states have legal code online these days, so if you really wanted to know, you could sift through all of it and find the answer for yourself.

Here is the code for Idaho: Idaho Statutes

Old 10-27-2014, 02:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
CA says one has to disclose ANY death on the property unless the deceased died from an AIDS related illness. Weird? Yup. Can't point you to any other place, but it looks like you have at least 2 states to start on.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:20 PM

492 posts, read 637,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
CA says one has to disclose ANY death on the property unless the deceased died from an AIDS related illness. Weird? Yup. Can't point you to any other place, but it looks like you have at least 2 states to start on.
In CA there is a three year limit. If they died over three years ago it does not need to be disclosed.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:52 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
I haven't been able to find a single source for that information either. I have read that Alaska and South Dakota require disclosures of a murder or suicide on the property within the past 12 months. (But I read that in a Fox News article so it could be wrong.)

Here in Michigan, our state-mandated Seller's Disclosure Form has no provision to report any type of stigma or death on the property.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:05 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I would call each state department of real estate licensing and just ask them. Much easier.

You can rule out Oregon though. Disclosure of any death in a house is not required here.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:11 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
It is not required in the State of Georgia either.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:15 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Thank you all, and I appreciate any who can continue to add to this thread.

Opinions are requested: Do you agree with my feeling that a requirement to disclose a suicide is (pick your adjective) unacceptable, unnecessary, discriminatory and should be eliminated?

(I'm serious, folks. And I DO listen to other points of view when they are presented with sound logic, knowledge and reason.)

Old 10-27-2014, 05:18 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I don't think it is relevant to the sale of a house. We don't have to disclose if a child was abused in that house, or a wife beaten in the house. We don't have to disclose if someone snorted coke. I just don't see the relevance to a home purchase. I guess if someone believes in ghosts they should buy new construction.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:59 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Here is the law in Arizona:

32-2156 - Real estate sales and leases; disclosure

Oh, and I agree that it should be irrelevant. What difference does it make? The buyer is buying a building, a house, not a home. It is up to the owner to make it a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals