Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 04:05 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
I'm just trying to get a feel for the different markets. RE Agents - I have 2 questions. Let's say you're personally in the market to buy a home. You have the flexibility to purchase it anytime within the next 2 years. When would you buy your home (now, in 3 mos, 6 mos, 1 yr, etc) knowing that there is still weakness in home prices and sales?

Second Question - you want to buy an investment property to hold for 5 years and sell. When would you buy it?
I'm buying a home to move into right now. I'll live there a year and fix it up, then either sell or convert to a rental. So I guess I'm doing both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 06:38 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times
Ooooooh, wonderful thread! Snip, snip, paste, paste.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:17 PM

377 posts, read 1,728,281 times
Thanks everyone... please feel free for anyone else to add info. Again, I was just trying to get a feel for other people's perceptions throughout the country. As for me, if I was in the market (NE Florida), I'd probably wait 1-2 months to buy a primary home and probably 3-6 months to buy an investment property.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:18 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,855 times
I'll close on my most recent investment purchase on Thursday. I don't flip properties. I hold on to them for several years, so it really doesn't matter when I buy. I bought two homes in 2006, when it was a sellers market. Over the long run real estate is one of the best investment vehicles there is.

Sandy

Old 01-16-2008, 06:25 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
I'm buying right now (under contract, primary residence) and shortly after will buy as many investment properties as look good. Charlotte's market presents some of the best investment opp. in the country because of the economy.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:50 AM

469 posts, read 1,485,256 times
Default Peak of resetting subprime ARMs is in May

According to microeconomic data we havn't seen the worse as far as the credit crunch. We will not see the peak of foreclosures intil november or december of this year. With this being the case you will not see the credit markets improve intil at least the 4th quarter of 2008. Therefore, in the declining markets you will see prices falling intil at least the first quarter of 2009 but all markets in this country are not as week as the coasts. In fact some markets with strong job growth that missed the boom are seeing modest increases in value even with all this turmoil. Now in my opinion you will see better deals and more options prior to the stabalization of the credit market and a purchase in mid 2008 should not see much more of a hit to value even in the declining markets (unless you are in one of the way over priced markets like sacramento california or sarasota county florida). A purchase in mid 2008 would most likely give you the best of both worlds a great price and little down side potential there by making it a great time to buy.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:05 AM

80 posts, read 277,023 times
Personally closing at the end of the month on a rental condo. If you find a good one, make a move. Guaranteed, I did my homework and have a rental market. DO NOT wait until everything clears up. If you have good finances and especially cash, you can do it anytime.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:44 PM

15 posts, read 67,756 times
You mentioned the tight underwriting constraints, and I've heard it all over the media on how much tougher it is to secure a home loan, but will it be really that difficult to get a loan? And what do they mean when they say they no longer allow "stated incomes" in when getting a loan?

I'm been looking around for my first home in OC, and although I haven't been preapproved yet, I've been viewing homes in the 250-360k price range,..now I'm scared I may be biting off more then I can chew. My annual income is about 60k with no debt, not much of a down payment, and a 750+ credit score. Is it unrealistic for me to buy in this price range?

Thanks kturbe for all your helpful advice!

Old 01-21-2008, 05:53 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,843,475 times
Homeseeker, I think you should ask this question on the mortgage forum, as they can probably answer better... and it will be impacted by where you are because you will have taxes and insurance that I cannot help you calculate... but when I do a quick calculation, if you did a loan of 300k, before taxes and insurances you would be in the 36% ratio. I like to see my clients under the 36% ratio with taxes and insurance, UNLESS they know something I don't know...

You can still get 100% financing it is out there... with a credit score like yours.

Stated income is for individuals (like most real estate agents) who cannot produce a pay stub to "prove" our income. We have to "state" our income and show a tax form from last year (or more).

Save a little money, that will help you. No debt, nice annual income, you should be able to get a little nest egg going...

Hope this helped.

Shelly

Old 01-21-2008, 07:11 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
A 300K mortgage on 60K salary? Lets do the numbers..

Rough monthly take home pay (minus some 401k, benefits, flex spending, taxes) is around say 3K?

If you take your monthly mortgage payment with say property taxes at 3500/yr, your looking at a mortgage/prop tax monthly bill of $2400

That leaves you roughly 600/month (not including food, clothes, utilities, spending $, emergency fund, 529 plan, IRA, etc., etc...)

To put it bluntly, unless you're going to live day to day like a homeless person, are you nuts??? You are setting yourself up to be so house rich, cash poor its rediculous...How anyone could even suggest this is beyond me? Shelly, you need to get a new calculator. Yours is stuck in 2004-2005. We're not in the bubble anymore. People need to tighten their belts nowadays...This is exactly what got people into this mess the first time... That percentage is WAY too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals