Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 04:05 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

I have been approached by an agent who may have a buyer for my home, which we had not intended to sell at this time but will be willing to do if he closes the deal.

The home is worth about $350,000. How much commission should we offer to pay if we agree only to show it to this one buyer? He would have no expenses at all - no MLS, no advertising, and would not have to split with a seller's agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 04:40 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Your post is a bit confusing.
It seems to refer to the agent as representing you, when you haven't listed the property with anyone.
It actually seems that in this instance, the agent might be functioning as a buyer's agent, and you don't have representation.

How would you expect to proceed?
Receive the offer and review it yourself or with your attorney? Put the agent into dual agency? Let the agent represent you and work with an unrepresented buyer?

The fee is negotiable, and in any case you really need to keep an eye on your net proceeds after any expenses.
I would suggest you let the agent propose a fee and what you can expect from the agent, and clarify the agent's role, and take it from there.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-12-2016 at 05:25 AM..

Old 01-12-2016, 05:42 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
The agent is representing the buyer. I have not hired an agent and do not plan to do so. The house is not on the market, and we would deal with this agent for only the single buyer. If that person does not want the house, we will not sell it.

I have sold one house myself with no agent. I sold an undeveloped lot with no seller's agent to a person who had a buyer's agent. Paid 3% commission on that one.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:56 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Before signing anything, I'd first confirm that this person really is a licensed agent, and then I'd tell the agent that he or she should email you a copy of the one-time showing agreement so you can review it first. I'd also ask for proof of funds or a very recent pre-approval letter to establish that you aren't wasting your time.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:31 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The agent is representing the buyer. I have not hired an agent and do not plan to do so. The house is not on the market, and we would deal with this agent for only the single buyer. If that person does not want the house, we will not sell it.

I have sold one house myself with no agent. I sold an undeveloped lot with no seller's agent to a person who had a buyer's agent. Paid 3% commission on that one.
2.5%--3% is probably in the range.
Listing agent expenses such as advertising or splitting with a buyers' agent were the confusing parts.
If the agent hits you up for 6%, not acceptable.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:53 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
offer them 1% or don't sign anything and let the buyer pay them. the agent will likely attempt to write in their commission in the sales agreement and you then have maximum flexibility on any counteroffer.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:44 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
I would make sure there is a buyer before you lose too much sleep over it.

Posing this rhetorical question as if you have a buyer is a pretty standard script for trying to get new listings. The agreements or prequalification letters others have mentioned would be a good way to confirm it.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2016, 07:56 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
The OP mentions a one time listing agreement. This would seem to be a legit buyer.

The listing agreement that the buyer's agent would ask you to sign would:
1. name the buyer(s) to be involved
2 include the fee to be paid by you at closing
3. include a time frame for the listing agreement resulting in a sale.

You have the right to ask questions and get them answered. You can call the lender. You can hire a local to the property real estate attorney. You have the right to get the truth from the buyer's agent.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:35 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
The OP mentions a one time listing agreement. This would seem to be a legit buyer.
Not to be argumentative but the OP did not mention a one time showing or listing agreement. She only mentioned an agent who "may have a buyer." A legitimate agent would undoubtedly bring up a one time showing agreement at some point but I can also see how thieves might use this ploy as a way to gain access to a home without breaking in. I acknowledge I'm probably overthinking it but it wouldn't hurt to be sure the agent is legit before opening the door and letting strangers in while you wait next door, or whatever.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:13 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
I solicit homes for buyers all the time. In my letter that I send out I tell sellers what fee I want so that way I'm completely upfront about that. I'm a bit surprised that he approached you that he might have a buyer and didn't discuss a fee at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals