Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:31 AM

33 posts, read 37,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The first thing I hope you've learned is have your own agent! That was idiotic. (I'm allowed to be blunt because I'm not a Realtor.)

They can advise you better on how to manage this mess better than I can, but I do have one thought.

You've neglected to tell us how much of a deposit you made. Is the cost of replacing the unacceptable kitchen cabinets more than losing your deposit?

We do have realtor representing us, we discussed it with him, found out that every page must be initialized. I posted here to get other realtor's opinion.

I am trying to find out how much approximately cabinets in kitchen, 3 bed rooms cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 07:40 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecloud1900 View Post
We do have realtor representing us, we discussed it with him, found out that every page must be initialized. I posted here to get other realtor's opinion.

I am trying to find out how much approximately cabinets in kitchen, 3 bed rooms cost?
Somewhere between $10,000 and Who Knows?
No one can really narrow it down without a whole lot more detail.

It is a good thing your agent has legal training and license and can speak to the contract, although it is not precisely what marksmu said.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:01 AM

211 posts, read 451,434 times
You need to determine the "level" of cabinets you wish. MikeJaquish is correct in the assumption that it can very easily be way more than $10,000. Especially if you are looking at all the cabinets in the house including bathrooms and laundry room.

Was you agent with you during the contract appointment?

Is it a big builder? Do they have other spec homes that you could consider? They might let you switch rather then be a unhappy complainer. Builders are in the business to build and sell homes, they are not necessarily evil. You just have to figure out what you really want and what you are willing to do to achieve it.

Do you want this home?

Are you willing to switch lots?

Are you willing to lose your earnest money?

Are you willing to accept the cabinets but maybe with a different stain?

Old 02-05-2016, 08:06 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecloud1900 View Post
But what is YOUR realtor suggesting?

And a better suggesrion might come from the lawyer you should hire to read this contract to look for a way to get you out of it.

Again, how much is your deposit?

ETA: Some quick googling strongly inducates your agent is incirrect about the requirement for initials on each page (further justifying your need for an attorney)

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/is...d--383665.html
http://www.gimmelaw.com/must-contrac...-on-every-page

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 02-05-2016 at 08:18 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 11:25 PM

820 posts, read 1,068,626 times
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what the cabinets cost if the builder isn't willing to change them. The market must be great there or else they couldn't get away with such lousy customer service. We went through that here in Idaho where a few builders wouldn't change simple things like light fixtures, door knobs or even a microwave after the initial order was place even though they could use the items on the next time they built the exact same floor plan. As a Realtor, I have paid to replace a number of them after closing so I could keep my clients happy and I just use them in my rentals or in my next build job. Remember when Henry Ford was the only game in town? He gave you three options for your car: black, black or black?

Old 02-15-2016, 07:06 PM

129 posts, read 234,291 times
bluecloud1900 I have in the past worked as a New Home sales agent(broker) for a builder. You say that you purchased the home at stage 6.5? It is common practice for builders to order cabinets and granite well in advance and there is a cut off point for changing these items. The design center pages are a formality it just states what is selected to go into the home. It is common practice to have them and in most case you cannot change them.I think your agent needs to do better when it comes to new home construction because that's the way it works especially with scheduling of trades etc. To change cabinets would set the completion date back on the home and cost the builder more.

The one thing that they should have done and your agent should have advised you to go the design center to see the items that were selected just to give you an idea of what the home finishes would look like. The onsite agent should have even suggested it. I always had all the details for my homes on hand to show perspective buyers.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:56 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
My concern would be that if you ended up in court to recoup your losses or to get out of the contract, the judge could say you were SOL because you WERE provided with a copy of the things you were allowed to pick. You made an assumption and made a choice not to open the email, but the builder did inform you.

A big concept in the real estate industry when it comes to lawsuits isn't whether you "did know", but whether "a reasonable person should have known". An argument could easily be made by the builder that since you were sent the email, you "should have known".

Bottom line, if you are that unhappy with the cabinets that it is a deal breaker, is your agent needs to go to the builder and discuss whether they are willing to delay the construction, and reorder the cabinets (which would be at your expense), or if not, if you can get out of the contract, and whether they are building one that is at an earlier stage where you could pick your own cabinets.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:09 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Good post. ^

FWIW, it might be a good time to consider the big picture. I can't imagine a situation where I'd be so upset about a choice in brand new cabinets that it would be a deal breaker.

You're getting brand new cabinets that probably match your brand new house and other fixtures well. What is so awful about them? Just curious!

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 02-16-2016 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals