Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 09:05 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,321,135 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am noticing tv advertisements for a couple of companies that apparently price and buy your house outright within a certain time, no showing, etc.

My guess is their business model is a good inspection and lowest price (for their own benefit) and a quick sale (for the owners' benefit).

How is this any different from the real estate business model (that I have experienced) to price at the lowest quickest to sell price? and at the end of the listing it suddenly sells, usually to a fellow realtor. Is it reputable? recommended?

Just wondering because I am thinking selling within a year and if the $ come out roughly the same (as is all that would be acceptable to me) why not just ditch the traditional business model?

FWIW I live near Orlando FL in an established neighborhood surrounded by top schools and conveniences. Town is growing, we even have a hospital now. if that factors in I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 09:15 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times
I checked into it a few years back when I was anxious to sell my home quickly. The offers I received were ridiculously low - about half of what I got when I finally sold my home at a profit.

I think these companies are taking advantage of people who want to get rid of their home quickly and don't care about taking a loss.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:36 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,926 times
They pay 50-60 percent of what house is worth.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:53 AM

14,497 posts, read 12,141,672 times
They're looking to pay wholesale and flip it. It won't be near market value.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:04 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,590,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Hi

I am noticing tv advertisements for a couple of companies that apparently price and buy your house outright within a certain time, no showing, etc.

My guess is their business model is a good inspection and lowest price (for their own benefit) and a quick sale (for the owners' benefit).

How is this any different from the real estate business model (that I have experienced) to price at the lowest quickest to sell price? and at the end of the listing it suddenly sells, usually to a fellow realtor. Is it reputable? recommended?

Just wondering because I am thinking selling within a year and if the $ come out roughly the same (as is all that would be acceptable to me) why not just ditch the traditional business model?

FWIW I live near Orlando FL in an established neighborhood surrounded by top schools and conveniences. Town is growing, we even have a hospital now. if that factors in I don't know.
These things are not for everyone (obviously) but their upsides are:

-no hiring an agent (save, say 5-6%, for example) which bridges some of the gap
-no/less waiting - quicker sale (reduced holding costs - mortgage, taxes, insurance, lawn mowing, etc) can bridge some of the gap too
-if home is vacant and for sale for a protracted time, risk of vandals, pipes burst, furnace dies, liability, etc, etc.
-no periods of unknown with inspection, buyers that can flake out, etc.
-no (or likely much less) liability issues around disclosure, etc.
-quicker cash in pocket can enable seller to take advantage of other opportunities - good deal on another house, invest in business, stocks, etc. or avoid costs related to default on loans, tax obligations, clear up legal problems, etc.

Clearly you pay dearly for these things but as long as you know what this convenience is costing you, it's good for some to have the option of a quick and convenient sale.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:30 PM

43,317 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Hi

It's free to get an estimate and compare.
The product you are buying from these business models is "convenience."
You have to recognize that there is a price on convenience.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:02 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,321,135 times
Thanks for yall's reply

Old 04-22-2018, 01:06 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
Just last week I received a written offer from a similar type of company. They offered to buy some recreational land that I own in northern Michigan. They touted the "convenience" of a quick sale and generously offered to relieve me of paying property taxes on the land. Their offer? Fifteen cents on the dollar. Uh...no thanks.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:39 AM

10 posts, read 8,230 times
Quote:
Hi

Hey there theoldnorthstate,

This is an interesting topic that you brought up because our team just had a meeting about all these internet companies popping up to "sell your home fast" or whatever slogan they are using nowadays.

The bottom line from what we figured out, which may or may not be true depending on the company, is that they find desperate home owners who need to sell quickly by making it enticing with these "1% commissions and the rest is back to you" wording. They promise you that they can sell your home in X amount of time and when they don't, they offer the home owner a price, usually low ball number, to purchase the home then they resell it later.

My broker, from his research, was telling me that these companies typically do the bare minimum work such as putting some pictures online that don't do all they great and just making a simple ad online which doesn't draw much interest. You might hear lingo such as "the market is so hot that it will sell itself" and that can't be anymore further away from the truth. Most GOOD Realtors can tell you there are definitely MULTIPLE ways to market your home to get the most exposure to drive traffic to your home and thus bringing you more money at the end of the day which is the WIN.

At the end of the day, like what most people say, when it's too good to be true, it probably is. So I caution you to really do research and read between the fine lines on these companies or just reach out to a licensed Realtor to get the real scoop.

I hope this information helps!

Old 04-30-2018, 04:54 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,491,923 times
There's a couple of different models.
One is local investors. Some will tell you straight up before they come out they're looking to pay 50-65% of the retail value and if you are not willing to take that, they don't need to come out. Price is low, but they close fast maybe 7-10 days...no fuss, no picking apart your house, no appraisal, no inspection, etc. DONE.

Another option is the national companies....they're going to offer more. Maybe 80-85% of the value. They do an inspection typically and either deduct the repair items, or make you do them. They're probably pickier on that than a normal retail buyer. They won't give you a retail price as they still have to make money. They do have certain geographical restrictions and certain price ranges they want to be in. I would say this is not a program for most people, but it is for some. If you need for example a definite closing date, so for example you can go buy a new home on a specific date. That might work, but you pay for the convenience. Probably similar to trading in your car at a deal when you buy a new one. So the dealer never gives you what you think your car is worth, but it's convenient....

Just like car dealer prices, you can make a lot more money if you sell the house retail with a realtor, but you do put up with some inconvenience and uncertainty. Closings can be delayed, inspections, repairs, appraisals can be an issue, but you might make 10-15% more money. You just have to decide what works best for you. Financially probably this is the better option, but less convenient in many circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals