Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:30 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I think I'll get the license and just use it for family and friends for now. Thanks!
I think your friends and family deserve better than a part time Realtor with no real experience, financing knowledge, negotiating knowledge, or market knowledge even if availability isn't an issue for them. I think part timers can sometimes do their clients a real disservice even with the best of intentions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 03:06 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I think your friends and family deserve better than a part time Realtor with no real experience, financing knowledge, negotiating knowledge, or market knowledge even if availability isn't an issue for them. I think part timers can sometimes do their clients a real disservice even with the best of intentions.

I guess that's your opinion, and thanks for the concern, but I think it a bit presumptuous to assume that I don't study "the market" or "financing" or "tax implications." And believe it or not, there's a lot of "negotiation" in what I do as my "main job." Only experienced need apply? Then sucks to be the ****** that gets stuck with a brand new "full time" associate, eh?

Trust me, just because someone is "full time" doesn't mean they're the best. From the so called "professional" realtors I've used both buying and selling, they've been about as useful as realtor.com, with the added bonus of having MLS access and a lock box key. And I'm not alone. It's why these friends and family have been almost pressuring ME to do this, because they've found me more responsive and able to answer questions than many of the full time professionals they've worked with.

Oh yeah, and as an added bonus, I'm qualified to give legal advice on said properties. Don't worry, I promise I won't steal clients from you guys, lol.

Last edited by TriMT7; 07-23-2008 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I guess that's your opinion, and thanks for the concern, but I think it a bit presumptuous to assume that I don't study "the market" or "financing" or "tax implications." And believe it or not, there's a lot of "negotiation" in what I do as my "main job." Only experienced need apply? Then sucks to be the ****** that gets stuck with a brand new "full time" associate, eh?
Don't get defensive about it. To answer your question about new, it depends on training. Going through the RE classes doesn't teach you anything important really. A new agent can certainly be better than a "full time" (I use it loosely in RE) agent with the right training and BIC that is available to help. Do you have the time to dedicate to the training needed to be a good agent? Learning about inspections, addendums, CMA's, using the MLS...if you can do all of that then you may be the exception. I just want to say the exceptions are few and far between and you've already said you have a demanding job that consumes much of your time.

You won't be competing with me, so that has nothing to do with my opinion or advice but I know the damage a newbie or part timer can do to a transaction or a client (even with the best of intentions). RE is not as simple as it appears from the outside. If you choose to get your license I wish you the best of luck. I don't doubt your intelligence or ethics in the least, just your time you can commit to training/learning. RE may not be medical or law practice, but IMO you shouldn't see part timers for the same reasons you don't have them in other professional fields.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:01 PM

714 posts, read 1,538,942 times
Hey TriMT7

I started as a part-time Realtor with a full-time job. I won't lie, it wasn't easy, but it's do able!! For sure...!!!! I always got back to my clients asap...Stick with your friends and family, be up front with them about realistic times you can get back with them...work hard and I always tried to anticipate what they might be asking tomorrow so that I could find the answer and have it waiting the next day. You can def. do it! I did.

Also, while I do agree that most Realtors that have been doing this for quite some time will be able to better explain...I also feel that that alone does not make them a better Realtor. I don't have an assistant, you don't have to leave me a message and I don't have 10 app. every day. That means I am more available to my clients.

I have had 2 different so called top notch Realtors...One happens to be the number 1 in my town and sometimes the state for that matter....and is the sole reason my buyers walked away from a deal. She countered an offer as a final counter and told us not to come back unless we accepted. We were $5,000 off what we were willing to pay (of course she didn't know that) and the property was listed for 368...we were at 338. She said 343 or don't come back. My buyers walked b/c they didn't like her way of doing business. I love her, but she lost that deal. They bought another house b/c of her. House is now listed for 324.

Long story short the other one was just difficult to deal with (it was a small commercial deal) and he wouldn't help with handing over utility bills and when he did he would embelish them as if we were stupid. He was too arrogant, my buyers were so frustrated they walked and bought elsewhere even though they wanted his listed property.

I say do it- Just because they are "experienced" doesn't make them any better.......IMO- only because you are dealing with so many different kinds of people...

Also...If I show a listing and the Realtor keeps me on the phone FOREVER telling me about the property (and a lot of the experienced ones do) I will show thier houses last next time...unless I know it is something my client would love. Selling is one thing but sometimes Realtors go overboard.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:09 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I'll bet there are a lot of full time agents in todays market that wish they were a part time agent with a real job.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:19 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Not to be negative TriMT7, but why would a real estate agency want to hire you if you only wanted to work with a very limited clientele. What is in it for them? I'll also share with you that friends and family can be the most gut-wrenching, heartbreaking transactions you'll ever do (or have fall apart) which could cause damage in relationships. If you work long enough in this business, you'll find family and friends that will tell you they'll work with you, but will "forget" you're in the business and sign with a competitor. I'll bet every agent on this board can share a sad story with you.

You also hint that you're an attorney, if so you will be shocked at how much legwork and wild goose chasing this job is - without any compensation. That being said, if you think you can do it, go for it. This business needs entrepreneurial types who are not afraid to take risks.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'll bet there are a lot of full time agents in todays market that wish they were a part time agent with a real job.
Rakin, I know you didn't mean that last bit. You're a super knowledgeable agent and I like your posts but a "real job'? You know that real estate is a "real job" unless you consider it a career and not a job. I know I consider RE my career.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:11 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
TriMT7,

It is not impossible, and some of the reaction to "part-time" is due to the overwhelming number of PT agents who scatter trash all along their wakes.

You may be able to do it.

One thought, which is quite legitimate in North Carolina. You may be able to become licensed and initially work as a referring agent only, i.e., connect clients with agents. we do not need a managing broker in NC to work that way.
Your local RE practice laws may vary from that.

Working as a referring agent would allow you to work with folks you know, make connections, and see that people get the best possible service.
You could also continue your education to develop RE skills and knowledge as you grow into RE as a full-time profession.

Bottom line:
If you always proceed with your clients' best interest foremost in your mind, you will do OK in the long run. Sometimes, for all of us, that means referring out.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:40 AM

613 posts, read 1,016,542 times
I think my agent is doing it as a sideline. It's not working out very well for ME.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Rakin, I know you didn't mean that last bit. You're a super knowledgeable agent and I like your posts but a "real job'? You know that real estate is a "real job" unless you consider it a career and not a job. I know I consider RE my career.
You are right. Real Job was not so much the meaning, should have said "A weekly Paycheck with benefits "

There have been too many people jumping in this business the last 4 years. Hopefully the slow down will encourage the mediocre ones to get rich quick somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals