Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:13 AM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

Am I just naive? On TV, a seller's agent brings people to a house and shows it to them...pointing out it's virtues, etc. SELLING it.

Neither my present agent, nor the one before that, has personally shown my house to anyone.

If another agent makes arrangements to see my house, shouldn't my agent be here to sell it to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 08:18 AM

620 posts, read 1,950,645 times
Both of my selling agents in SC have NEVER "showed" my house to buyers. They have showed it with a broker's open house. ( Just for AGENTS) My agents were there to market the house. They both worked really hard trying to get the information out to as many people as possible. They both explained it to us upfront that its not that they WONT show the house, but most of the time it will be someone else's buyers agent. I really don't think it is out of the norm for a seller's agent to not show the house.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:41 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,892 times
Not really. Your agent's job is to "market" your house. The house "sells" itself. An agent can't trick somebody into buying your house.

Most houses are bought by people who have other agents. We all cooperate. It is not often that your agaent will also have a buyer who buys your house.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:41 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Am I just naive? On TV, a seller's agent brings people to a house and shows it to them...pointing out it's virtues, etc. SELLING it.

Neither my present agent, nor the one before that, has personally shown my house to anyone.

If another agent makes arrangements to see my house, shouldn't my agent be here to sell it to them?
Never have the listing agent or homeowner interfere with the buyer and their agent when your house is being shown. It's easiest to show a home when it's only the principles and the agent.

There is a rapport that is developed between an agent and their client/customer. Introducing a stranger into the mix can upset the balance. Resulting in a poor showing. To understand, think about the times you go into a store and a salesperson attaches themselves to you while your looking at products. Constantly asking questions so you can't think. I know I've left stores because of sales persons that won't leave me alone.

While I do show my own listings from time to time, agency relationships prevent me from representing both the seller and the buyer. So frequently I'll refer out a buyer that wants to get serious about one of my listings.

The time to sell the features of a property is in the creation of the marketing plan and materials. The marketing should be geared at getting showings. On site materials and staging are used to educate the potential buyer about the positive features of the property.

I'm the contact person for scheduling showing on my listed properties (so yes I answer my phone 7 days a week), when the buyer's agent calls I take the opportunity to do a bit of "selling" of the property at that time.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:41 AM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Ok, I get it. My agent does do all the scheduling through him, and I know he does try to maintain communication with the other agents.
I just wanted to make sure that that is the way everyone does it.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Yor agent has a fiduciary responsibility to you. Most buyers now realize this and prefer their own agent to represent their best interests.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:24 AM

192 posts, read 631,209 times
I am a realtor in Va, my sister is in FLA. Last year I was with her as she showed property to a client. It is not unusual with homes in a higher price category to make an appt with listing agent - meaning they will be there when the buyer agent shows the home. Most listing agents were excellent and there to answer questions without interfering. That's how that process works best - however, when a listing agent interferes (as I witnessed) with too much "selling" and dialogue it can (and did) turn the buyers off and all they want to do is get away from that home and the pressure from an agent they don't know, and don't like. The home I mention was truly incredible and they eventually gave it second look, only to have the same agent become more aggresive - there is too much on the market for a buyer to have to endure this type of behaviour. If your home is being shown and you are informed of the showings and feedback you are on the right track. Good Luck!!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:23 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,394 times
Default Has to do with dual representation.

Quote:

Depending on the state in which you are located, your agent may not be allowed to show the home. If an agent represents both the seller AND buyer, that presents the situation of dual representation, which is not allowed in the many states. In Virginia, it is legal, but many agents, myself included, avoid it. Reason being at that point, the agent has to become Switzerland (i.e. neutral). The agent may not advise either party. It is a very difficult line to balance and that is why many states no longer allow it.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
[quote=gentlearts;5859369]

On TV, a seller's agent brings people to a house and shows it to them...pointing out it's virtues, etc. SELLING it.

/quote]

On TV, it also shows people buying homes off Open Houses. In reality, that rarely happens.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:35 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:

You bring up a great point...In Europe the listing agent shows the house and knows all the good points and can tell about them. IMO that is the way it should be and that is also why you pay commission, not for an agent to sit on his... and the buyers agent doesn most of the important work and the listing agent just has to fill out the paperwork....great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals