Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:22 PM

553 posts, read 1,027,048 times

Advertisements

And I did not like what I saw. Basically I saw a 10-13 y.o. guy playing will a ball on the multi unit back of the house space next door. It felt like I was under attack. They have this huge cemented yard. I did not realize they are using it as a football field.
So let me start from the beginning... It got warmer today. Spring. People get outside. Today I went to see the house (just the outside) that we are buying and I sneaked to the backyard. I saw that at the back of the neighbor's multiunit building there is a guy playing a ball. I hated it. made a lot of noise with this ball. It was like : boom, boom, boom... boom over and over. and the ball every now and then winds up in the bushes that separates "our" houses. I do not know, but probably the bored guy was looking for attention and through the ball in my direction. My dream of a lovely summer time in the back yard died in seconds. I imagined how may others will come out and start playing volleyball just feets away from me "relaxing at the back yard".

They have a big paved ground at the back. There is no cars parked. nothing. just this empty ground.
This is how it looked like when it was colder and there was snow

The bushes on the pic divide our properties..

I knew that there is a huge multi unit (4 floor building ) was to the east of the house. I guess I have not seen anybody out in colder weather and kept wishful thinking that it is always quiet like that. Gosh.
So, I asked the guy: is it how you spend most of your time? and he did not reply. wild.
Well, this is, I must admit is not the most fancy area in town. But not the worst one too. Average.
Should I keep looking now? Should I build a fence? how tall can it be?

There also another issue - I wanted to walk around the house, but found out that the neighbors from the west side block the passage attaching a heavy metal gate directly the side of "our" brick house. This may be done on consent of the previous owner (who died?), or may be just without any consent. I did not like the idea of that gate attached to our wall. I know it can be bad, bad bad for the brick wall. How do I find out about the legality of this gate?
Can I find out the property boundary lines before I go ahead and proceed with mortgage, and so on?

I keep asking all this question to our agent but all he says is that the seller does not know anything, since they inherited this house.

Now I am upset. The market is really slow and this one seems to be the last one that is left to consider.
What should I do?

sorry for the long post

Last edited by Dressy; 03-11-2011 at 08:14 PM..

Old 03-11-2011, 07:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Buyer's Remorse. Take two aspirin and call your agent in the morning.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Buyer's Remorse. Take two aspirin and call your agent in the morning.

All of the questions posed by the OP should be posed to his/her Buyer's Agent.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

All of the questions posed by the OP should be posed to his/her Buyer's Agent.
Like I said - I did. and without much luck.
He tells me that we will have the survey done that will give us the property lines just a day or two before closing. Is not that too late? Can one fine out the property lines earlier? If they have deals and agreement about space btwn the houses, I would like to find that out faster. Should I just call the selling agent myself?

Any question I ask our agent about the house - he tells me that the seller does not know anything since they never lived in that house but inherited it.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Like I said - I did. and without much luck.
He tells me that we will have the survey done that will give us the property lines just a day or two before closing. Is not that too late? Can one fine out the property lines earlier? If they have deals and agreement about space btwn the houses, I would like to find that out faster. Should I just call the selling agent myself?

Any question I ask our agent about the house - he tells me that the seller does not know anything since they never lived in that house but inherited it.
You could pay out of pocket for a stake survey and get it done within the inspection period since you appear to have a legitimate concern about the property lines and the possible existence of easements.

Any easement agreements should be of public record and filed at the county courthouse. Look into this ASAP Monday morning. Such legal agreements would be a material fact to the property and should be disclosed by the Seller's agent or estate. A good Buyer's Agent would be down there at the courthouse doing that research on your behalf and getting a copy of the survey currently on file, if any.

IMO, it sounds as though you need to be speaking with your agent's Broker because your agent appears to be falling short of answering your questions and doing his/her best to represent your interest. Ask for a meeting between the three of you Monday.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Better to be walk away, than to live in misery a year or two then try to sell for a loss if the values continue to drop. You are spending a lot of money, if you don't like the neighbors then find a place where you do. It's likely to get worse when summer comes.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:23 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,611 times
Tell us more about how a kid playing with a ball made you feel like you were under attack.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:27 PM

Thank you. Apparently ours is not a good buyer's agent. I asked him to arrange with the seller the access to the walls of "our" house blocked by the neighbors gate for the purposes of inspection and he advised me to negotiate it with the neighbors myself, since the seller does not know the neighbors.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Tell us more about how a kid playing with a ball made you feel like you were under attack.
Well it is constant boom-boom boom of the heavy ball hitting the asphalt ground next to you and in your direction. the ball was caught by the bushes, thus never reaching me, but I was looking for a house with a backyard thinking of a more peaceful time there. Actually the "kid" was as tall as I am. And I can hardly hit the ball with that kind of force.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:35 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Thank you. Apparently ours is not a good buyer's agent. I asked him to arrange with the seller the access to the walls of "our" house blocked by the neighbors gate for the purposes of inspection and he advised me to negotiate it with the neighbors myself, since the seller does not know the neighbors.
Walk away and let your agent's broker know why you are doing it. The agent is not doing his job. His "do-it-yourself" attitude is unacceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate