Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times

Advertisements

A recent thread asks what people are looking for in houses:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...ow-houses.html

For realtors, buyers, past sellers, and future buyers in rural/semi-rural areas: are there any differences? (Do people still care about granite countertops, or are they more likely to be inspecting the pasture fence? Are they more interested in hardwood floors or outbuildings?) What have been the deal-breakers, the selling points, and the deciding factors for you and/or your clients?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:51 AM

28 posts, read 111,054 times
I think I would qualify as looking for a home in a semi-rural area in that I want neighbors but not right on top of me, but not out in the middle of no where, either. Around here that would be considered 'semi-rural.' About two acres would be ideal. When we look, we aren't really expecting to find high-end updates since we are mentally allocating a higher percentage of the purchase price to land and not 'house' if that makes sense. If the house comes all updated, great, but since we figure more money is going to the acreage itself, we are willing to cut some slack to the interior of the home because of our interest in the land itself. The smaller the lot/acreage, the more I am expecting to see updates/higher-end appliances, etc., since for the same 'X' price we would pay, the house itself needs to make up for less acreage.

Personal preference, again, for outbuildings. We would love to find a detached garage in addition to one attached to the home. My husband is a car guy and needs a place to store them. However, we've seen some properties that just had too many outbuildings, and they were new and expensive. We had no need for them and clearly the price of the home was reflecting the addition of these new buildings. Might have been perfect for someone else though.

And on a side note re: granite countertops. I really don't like walking in and seeing them because, chances are, I won't love their choice of color/pattern but I know that 1, I'm going to be paying for those countertops in the purchase price of the home and 2, I'm going to be hard-pressed to chuck their granite for stone that I like better - so I am going to have to live with their choice of granite. I'm one of those buyers that loves walking into a home with bad, out-dated laminate because then I feel justified in putting in my own choice of a pricey countertop. ////off of soapbox///

Old 03-24-2011, 10:11 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I hate using a broad brush, but in general, those of us that live in the country have far different values than city folk. We don't dress for success, we don't buy a new car until the old one wears out, we don't follow popular culture very much (although I do know a couple of people that watch American Idol). We also don't have fancy homes with all the upgrades. Almost all political views are tolerated and nobody cares much about race or gender issues.

In my part of the world the terrain is quite varied and my experience with buyers is that they are looking for a home that fits in the place it's located. Got a view? Great, does the house take advantage of it? Can I see the neighbors? Not so easy a sale. Can I hear the neighbors? Almost the same thing. The ability to connect with the natural world is high up on the list. When I'm at the store, I hear people talking about the moon phases and the stars, something I can honestly say I never heard growing up in the city. I guess you might call it a holistic vibe is probably the most important thing to a rural buyer.

I think rural people are looking to have their privacy, but I've also found that it's not a matter of being anti-social. As a matter of fact, the people in my community are generally quite willing to pitch in an any project that benefits the community as a whole.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I hate using a broad brush, but in general, those of us that live in the country have far different values than city folk. We don't dress for success, we don't buy a new car until the old one wears out, we don't follow popular culture very much (although I do know a couple of people that watch American Idol). We also don't have fancy homes with all the upgrades. Almost all political views are tolerated and nobody cares much about race or gender issues.
Boy you must seriously live in a sheltered rural area, because that's not even 1% of the rural areas I've been to.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:40 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Yep!

Old 03-24-2011, 03:26 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
For me:

Some acreage, water rights or an abundant well, fences and useful multi-purpose outbuildings in decent condition, ditto for the house, grown trees around the house, a wooded patch and a good sized level area on the property for gardens, decent sun exposure, not too far off the beaten path, no area hazards such as flood zone, high radon levels, ground water contamination issues etc.

A classic home that has been recently updated in a way that enhances and respects the integrity of the original home design done in neutral shades for lasting installations such as stone, mature fruit trees and a greenhouse would have me shelling out quite a bit of extra cash.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 PM

171 posts, read 790,437 times
We are in the process of selling a rural home. I am one of the rare people that has kept my house updated in our neighborhood. We have current paint colors, hardwood floors, granite. We did it because we liked it.
Then hubby got transferred.
Turns out rural folks don't care so much about my updates. They are complaining there aren't more outbuildings, barns, or more land. Our listing clearly says 2 acres, but many of them are expecting not to see a neighbor for miles? I even posted a satellite photo for reference because we were tired of hearing "We were hoping not to see any neighbors" as feedback.
(The neighbors are NOT on top of us, by any means.)
So, because of our updates and how pretty it looks (if I do say so myself. ) we are attracting a lot of city folk who come out and say things like "The house is great. Wish we could move it in town."
Insert "banging head" emoticon.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:55 AM

468 posts, read 1,378,916 times
I've got 2 clients currently looking for their 'almost rural' dream home. Seems that privacy plays a big role in their choice (both are looking for 2-3 acres) - the way the house sits on the land (and away from neighbors).

Septic doesn't seem to be a concern, since most potentials have that instead of sewer. Water isn't a big concern either.

Outbuildings are nice - more sheds/garages than barns - gives added 'workspace room.'

There's been a couple of homes that were recently built and, it seems, that the owners got into some distress situation and the homes were a great price. Being more recently built, they had the larger closets, more updated kitchens and bathrooms.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:36 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachstatehomegal View Post
There's been a couple of homes that were recently built and, it seems, that the owners got into some distress situation and the homes were a great price. Being more recently built, they had the larger closets, more updated kitchens and bathrooms.
And do your rural clients put much importance on the larger closets and updates?

We definitely have the closets: seven walk-ins (5 br, office, and front closet). Or eight, if you count the one under the stairs.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:42 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
And do your rural clients put much importance on the larger closets and updates?

We definitely have the closets: seven walk-ins (5 br, office, and front closet). Or eight, if you count the one under the stairs.
You know, just as every property is unique, every buyer is different.
When people get out and see what is available, their wants and needs often become re-ordered.

Sometimes the rural buyer ends up in town because the details of the house turn out to be more important than living rurally. Actually, this happens quite often.

But, folks who have to have open space, or no zoning or covenant limitations for business or horses, etc, will compromise more on the home than they will on the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate